Winning the toss ( kicking towards Kop second half)

Most fans groan when we lose the throw and kick towards the Kop first half, but considering that we have scored 8 of our 10 goals so far this season at the Leppings lane end and we seem to perform better in the halves when we have been attacking that end does it really matter if we lose the throw any more ?

Most fans groan when we lose the throw and kick towards the Kop first half, but considering that we have scored 8 of our 10 goals so far this season at the Leppings lane end and we seem to perform better in the halves when we have been attacking that end does it really matter if we lose the throw any more ?

Same last season, in fact i dont think we scored a league goal on the kop end until October

If you win the throw you decide which end you attack or defend, the other team then takes the kick off.

Really?

From http://www.talkfootball.co.uk/guides/rules_of_football.html#b

Start and restart of play

A coin throw takes place just before the game starts, the winner of which will get the choice of choosing which end to attack or whether to kick-off. Should they choose to kick-off then the other captain will be allowed elect which end to attack in the first half. Should the winner decide to choose which end to attack then the loser can choose whether to kick-off in the first or second half.

weve beat the two best teams to come to hillsborough this season thus far kicking to the kop 1st half so who gives a poo poo which was we play first half. if its a good omen i hope we lose every throw and get turned around if it means we win !!

I do actually think there is some reason for this. Possibly more pressure of scoring at the kop end? It feels it's been like this for the last few seasons.

We need that loveable nerd Kivo on the case.....cos I'm a nerd interest to know how many, during a each season we have scored at either end. C'mon Kivo :)

I always thought that if we won the throw our captain would choose to kick towards the Kop second half as we would be facing our own fans and this might give us an advantage, it as never crossed my mind about weather condition :- wind direction and how strong it might be, I have been watching the Owls for over 50 years and always held this belief but we have seemed to perform better lately kicking towards the Leppings Lane end, it is interesting reading all of your comments.

It is easier kicking towards the Leppings Lane because it is up hill. The ball holds up.

Kicking towards the Kop the ball runs away from them slightly.

Quite a slope at Hillsborough.

I think kicking down hill is better for pro footballers as they like a bit of 'zip' in the pitch as opposed to the ball sitting up for them, hence, the reason the Owls and the opposition tend to kick towards the Kop in the second half. Many teams, including us, water the pitch to aid that 'zip'.

I think kicking down hill is better for pro footballers as they like a bit of 'zip' in the pitch as opposed to the ball sitting up for them, hence, the reason the Owls and the opposition tend to kick towards the Kop in the second half. Many teams, including us, water the pitch to aid that 'zip'.

Why water the pitch at half time if the opposition are kicking down hill ?

It is easier kicking towards the Leppings Lane because it is up hill. The ball holds up.

Kicking towards the Kop the ball runs away from them slightly.

Quite a slope at Hillsborough.

It's a four foot slope from Leppings Lane to the East Bank.

I couldn't care less which way we kick.