Tommy Miller

Guest Sheff Owl

Guest Lawrie Maddens Hump

To answer the OP, if the reason for Megson leaving Miller out is genuine, then TM clearly is finished at the club.

Imagine it from the player's perspective. You have a good game and show good form but the next game you are told that you are left out because playing you would force the club into extending your contract. I cannot believe any player would want to continue after that. It is a roundabout way of saying you're not wanted here.

In that circumstance, I don't blame Megson for the decision and I certainly wouldn't blame Miller for feeling let down. This type of contract clause is just asking for trouble and the effect that it has had on Purse and Miller probably effects team morale at a deeper level too.

No wonder Sheffield Wednesday have been such a shambolic mess for so long!

I agree to a point distraught. But lets face it, Miller has only really played well in patches this season. I am sure Megson will have been honest with Miller and told him that he needs to see more consistency from now til the end of the season (that is if Megson still is undecided). When bearing in mind the players track record (with injuries) and the fact that Megson's only been here 2mins, it is, surely, not unreasonable, I feel, under the circumstances for Megson to ask for more. However, in saying all that, Megson may have all ready decided Miller's fate, and therefore would be foolish to play him again this season.

One thing is for sure if a player like Tommy Miller (one of the better players within the squad) is on his way out this summer, then it doesn't bode well for the other players.

Edited by Lawrie Maddens Hump

Good old Arthur Bach - doing what he always does.

If there is an issue where 90% are in agreement he feels almost duty bound to take up the cause on behalf of the 10%. I sometimes wonder if he gets a hard on when he thinks he's taking on the unwashed masses in this way. He seems to have some sort of pathological condition that prevents him from ever wanting to be in a majority.

In this particular case, maybe he genuinely believes what he's posting, maybe he doesn't. But I've seen him do this kind of thing so often it's difficult to be sincerely outraged.

What ever you say,arthur has a right to his opinion.

you on the other hand are the most opiniated person on here.

Guest Distraught!

I agree to a point distraught. But lets face it, Miller has only really played well in patches this season. I am sure Megson will have been honest with Miller and told him that he needs to see more consistency from now til the end of the season (that is if Megson still is undecided). When bearing in mind the players track record (with injuries) and the fact that Megson's only been here 2mins, it is, surely, not unreasonable, I feel, under the circumstances for Megson to ask for more. However, in saying all that, Megson may have all ready decided Miller's fate, and therefore would be foolish to play him again this season.

One thing is for sure if a player like Tommy Miller (one of the better players within the squad) is on his way out this summer, then it doesn't bode well for the other players.

And I don't at all disagree with you. The question from the OP related to whether or not TM is finished at the club. From where I am sitting, the answer is yes. I am sure that Megson would prefer to play whatever players he wants without this kind of outside influence. I think it is ridiculous and a sign of the crap that has been served up at Hillsborough for years. Inconsistent or not, Miller deserved to play today on the back of his performance on Tuesday. Based on that, he also deserves a chance to prove he is worth another contract.

I absolutely do no blame Megson and I wouldn't blame Miller for being well pissed off either!

I also believe that this kind of crap would have an adverse effect on the overall morale of the team.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

No......the person who is unprofessional is the person who agreed to this in his contract.

Our past dimwits still come back to haunt us even as we speak.

Couldn't agree more.

Thankfully whoever was sanctioning these contracts is no longer involved with the club.

Guest JonTheOwl66

It is slightly ironic how Tommy Miller is captain, supposedly one of the better performers and Megson wants out.

To answer the OP, if the reason for Megson leaving Miller out is genuine, then TM clearly is finished at the club.

Imagine it from the player's perspective. You have a good game and show good form but the next game you are told that you are left out because playing you would force the club into extending your contract. I cannot believe any player would want to continue after that. It is a roundabout way of saying you're not wanted here.

In that circumstance, I don't blame Megson for the decision and I certainly wouldn't blame Miller for feeling let down. This type of contract clause is just asking for trouble and the effect that it has had on Purse and Miller probably effects team morale at a deeper level too.

No wonder Sheffield Wednesday have been such a shambolic mess for so long!

I have no problems with Tommy Miller. One of the better players in this squad BUT...

1.He has been a player since he signed with us, who picks up niggling injuries on a fairly regular basis. His age says this will probably continue to happen.

2. The biggest problem with this squad is Centre Midfield. We need quality in this position. I'm sure Manderic will give his backing to get quality in ( no idea who Megson has in mind) We are not going to challenge at the top of this league with JOC (again ,dont really dislike him played well recently BUT doesnt tick enough boxes) Tommy Miller or Potter.

Why should the club activate this clause now by the way ? We dont know the terms of the said contract. His wage may be crazy for this level and based on Championship football.

It is slightly ironic how Tommy Miller is captain, supposedly one of the better performers and Megson wants out.

the fact that he's past it,his legs have gone and he's injury prone don't enter into the equation then? for too long we've carried 'treatment room' passengers ... time to start afresh with a new mentality and attitude.

Guest Distraught!

I

Why should the club activate this clause now by the way ? We dont know the terms of the said contract. His wage may be crazy for this level and based on Championship football.

Because it appears that there is a limited number of games within his contract period after which he must be granted a contract extension. The same seemed to apply in Purse's case. This is a crazy situation forcing the current manager i.e. Megson into either dropping him or playing him and extending his time at the club.

As it happens, we have already reached perceived safety so Megson wasn't going to take the chance. However, for the sake of the supporters, the club and the team morale, we should be playing our best team. Miller's performance on Tuesday would rank him as one of Wednesday's current best players but we are unlikely to have him available again.

Imagine if yesterday's game was critical in terms of promotion or relegation. Megson would probably have played Miller anyway under those circumstances. It is shambolic that he is forced into these decisions by misguided policies followed by previous regimes.

Why would the club have offered these terms?

It must have been because of the age and dodgy fitness of both Purse and Miller. If that was the mindset when signing them, they shouldn't have been considered. The loss of both Purse and Miller through this weird clause will almost certainly have cost Wednesday a number of league points come the end of the season.

Because it appears that there is a limited number of games within his contract period after which he must be granted a contract extension. The same seemed to apply in Purse's case. This is a crazy situation forcing the current manager i.e. Megson into either dropping him or playing him and extending his time at the club.

As it happens, we have already reached perceived safety so Megson wasn't going to take the chance. However, for the sake of the supporters, the club and the team morale, we should be playing our best team. Miller's performance on Tuesday would rank him as one of Wednesday's current best players but we are unlikely to have him available again.

Imagine if yesterday's game was critical in terms of promotion or relegation. Megson would probably have played Miller anyway under those circumstances. It is shambolic that he is forced into these decisions by misguided policies followed by previous regimes.

Why would the club have offered these terms?

It must have been because of the age and dodgy fitness of both Purse and Miller. If that was the mindset when signing them, they shouldn't have been considered. The loss of both Purse and Miller through this weird clause will almost certainly have cost Wednesday a number of league points come the end of the season.

Sorry, I was trying to say that I totally agree with the club not activating the clause in the contract, that was agreed when we was a Championship club under the previous regime ?

The club and Miller could I suppose , try and agree on a new contract which would be more fitting to a league one wage.

why would the club have offered these terms?

It must have been because of the age and dodgy fitness of both Purse and Miller. If that was the mindset when signing them, they shouldn't have been considered.

exactly! a case of the players holding us to ransom in our (then) desperate situation and us giving in to any demand just to get their signature. doesn't spell 'dedicated to the cause' to me. lol

Just had another listen to the megson interview,and he definitely says he was told to leave miller out of the team,and it would have been a dopey decision to leave him out otherwise,so I would think miller is likely to have been a player megson would like to keep,but the clubs high wage bill at this level, can only be cut by getting players out at the end of there contracts.

Guest Distraught!

The club and Miller could I suppose , try and agree on a new contract which would be more fitting to a league one wage.

The point here is Miller is still contracted to this club up to the end of the season. Whether he is or wants to negotiate another contract is irrelevant. We now have a high wage earner that is in form, scoring goals, and not currently injured left out of the squad because of some warped clause in his contract. While he is left out, the club are undoubtedly paying him his high salary. He should be out there on the field trying to convince Megson he is worth another contract or at bare minimum trying to convince other clubs he is worth a move.

I thought nothing that Wednesday could come up with could surprise me any more. FFS, was I wrong!

Depends which way you look at it. If he had signed a 3 year deal with no clause no one would have blinked. Now this situation has come up it gives the club the option of the extra year (if that's what it is) which they are not going to activate.

All seems fair enough to be honest. The question is how much do we need tommy miller next year ? I suppose we won't know until we have brought in his replacement.

You cannot blame manderic though. You have to back his judgement in situations like this.

Tommy when fit is a decent league 1 player ,

the fact that Megson stated that he could not play indicates that Tommy's seasons over and from that Manderic / Megson probably have bigger targets in mind.

Wish him well , as someone wrote earlier had he been fit at the right time , things could have been or so different.

Tommy Miller is 32.

In the last two home games the 4 midfield players have all been over 30.

The good news here is it seems like 3 of them will not be here next year , pity Teale has another year left.

Yes, I know we won those games but it was not because of the midfield.

The biggest mistake over the last few years has been this desire by our managers to sign these kind of players while the successful teams are signing people in their mid 20's.