We are going down

I think the more critical factor is how our players are mentally weak tails.

(stats courtesy of DJM)

WEDNESDAY SCORE FIRST:

P17 W16 D0 L1 F43 A13

OPPONENTS SCORE FIRST:

P28 W3 D6 L19 F35 A61

Absolutely spot on.

Watching Wednesday as an "outsider", i.e. on telly only this season, I think last night's performance showed a lot of positives from what I've seen over the season.

During the first half we held our own, we were much quicker when attacking on the break and got ourselves into good positions only to be let down by the final ball.

Madine had an excellent game and, although Heffernan struggled, he still moved around a lot more than CM and NM and gave the defenders something to think about and made runs for the ball to be delivered in to. It failed to arrive.

I could bang on about Teale having a stinker, and he was largely to blame for not giving us a better chance of getting the all important first goal, but at we got into dangerous areas more quickly which is an improvement in itself.

I thought the defence as a whole did their primary job well and the two new centre-halves were chucking themselves in where others have failed previously in that position.

Morrison and Reynolds looked a bit edgy in possession but from what others have stated less edgy than previously.

The job is to score first and to score first they have got to get shots in.

To get shots in the ball needs to fed in and not wasted when in good positions.

I thought that was the main problem last night.

The young keeper, Madine and Osbourne were impressive.

Coke is patchy, Miller is a good player but his legs have gone, JOC gets close to his man but never puts a tackle in, a ginger chihuahua rather than a Jack Russell. Potter's poo .

The booing would all but disappear if they gave us something to hang on to.

Finally, MM has saved this club and entrusted GM to get us back to somewhere more reflective of our size and stature.

Neil Warnock had to fight detractors at The Sty all the way and I feel GM has an element of this at Hillsborough.

It's a fact that you're often harder on those closest and fans who become players/managers are judged harder than those who aren't.

The (over)reaction on here after last nights game (which I had a chance to see) has made me think that some posters on here just criticise individuals simply to gain attention.

Our problems are terminal

At this moment in time we are going down

A different team of players being put out every week and getting absolutely hammered

New players being chucked in the mix that arent able to help stem the tide of goals against

Our strikers have stopped scoring

The teams below us are pulling in occasional wins and creeping up on us whilst Wednesday freefall down the league

Our fans turn up silent, then turn angry, then leave early, then log onto twitter and facebook and abuse our own players meaning the players have even less confidence and desire.

This is a very serious situation.

The fans can contribute this season to a safe finish but currently dont want to

If we continue like this relegation is not just inevitable but GUARANTEED

The fans need to change as much as the players do to turn this round

16000 moaners at hillsborough will lead to us going down

16000 fans booing will lead to ia going down

We need to learn the lessons of previous relegation seasons where as fans we didnt do enough

Lets pull together and get it right

Or we are fooked

What about people logging onto Owlstalk and moaning? Will that lead to us going down?

It is not flipping rocket science is it.

If people belong to the " i have paid my money therefore I can boo if I want to " brigade that is fine. However if they think this does not have a negative effect on the players on the field then they are living in cloud cuckoo land.

It is a cast iron certainty that if fans turn up at Hillsborough and cheer from beginning to end with no booing then we will pick up more points because of the positive atmosphere for the players to play in.

However if people don't want to that is up to them.

Yep we all know they are not performing at the moment but as is often said on here it is our club , they are only passing through. We will suffer a lot more than them if we get relegated so why don't we ignore their inadequacies and just support them and try and keep the club in this division.

Guest Lawrie Maddens Hump

Get real. We are not going down!

We played OK for 60 minutes against one of the best sides in the league, on their patch. The goal changed the dynamic of the game, until then we were well in the game. Granted we didn't create much but we were up against the 4th best defence in our League, who have conceded the least at home than any other team (10 goals).

We do need to address the squad, I agree, but to talk of relegation is not only premature but also stark raving stupid!

I was sick of hearing this on sky yesterday: 'Wednesday looking at relegation' blah blah blah. Wake up everyone. Yes it has been a bad season, but relegation, do me a favour.

Edited by Lawrie Maddens Hump

Get real. We are not going down!

We played OK for 60 minutes against one of the best sides in the league, on their patch. The goal changed the dynamic of the game, until then we were well in the game. Granted we didn't create much but we were up against the 4th best defence in our League, who have conceded the least at home than any other team (10 goals).

We do need to address the squad, I agree, but to talk of relegation is not only premature but also stark raving stupid!

In regards to what's been said. I agree, the fans should not even be considered as a reason for this atrocious situation. If anything it still has me beyond belief that 16,000 turn up on a regular basis to watch a football team and club that has let the fans down for years. Even to attract an average of 1,000 per away game (the best in the league) is simply amazing BUT to say we are not doing down is testicles. We are five points from safety and are in freefall I can assure you the chances of us going down are as real as anybody else's down there.

Are you drunk.

If we lose next week we are in the mix.

Tell me the players who are going to battle to get us out of the mess, who are the players who will score the goals for us to win games .

It only needs one of the bottom 4 to start a run and we will struggle to stay up.

We did ok for long spells yesterday but never looked like winning/scoring and in case you don't understand you don't get any points for losing.

Guest Deleted member

No one is advocating we turn up and boo. I hate the argument that 'we've paid our money we have a right to boo'. I'd rather not see that money - and I do agree its counter productive. However - I don't agree that the fans are, or should be, responsible for motivating the team... Not initially. Rest assured, if our team comes out in the first 15 minutes, chase lost causes, run after everything, run into space, show a desire and will to win the game - and not just to win but win well - the fans will be fully behind them from the off. Its up to Megson to instil that ethic from the first minute - not the fans. Megson can start by ditching 4-5-1 at home.

No one is advocating we turn up and boo. I hate the argument that 'we've paid our money we have a right to boo'. I'd rather not see that money - and I do agree its counter productive. However - I don't agree that the fans are, or should be, responsible for motivating the team... Not initially. Rest assured, if our team comes out in the first 15 minutes, chase lost causes, run after everything, run into space, show a desire and will to win the game - and not just to win but win well - the fans will be fully behind them from the off. Its up to Megson to instil that ethic from the first minute - not the fans. Megson can start by ditching 4-5-1 at home.

I think he will do.

I agree with this to some extent, there is no excuse for not giving 100% from the start, but the booing does not come across as booing the team collectively for lack of effort.

It starts when a player makes a mistake. This player then gets nervous and becomes scared of making mistakes. We then get crap performances.

While these are pro footballers on a lot of money most of them are also young lads in their early 20's and are bound to be affected by that.

Megson has a big role to play in this as well. His rhetoric to date has blamed the players , praised the fans and not taken responsibility himself.

He needs to be trying a lot harder to build up the confidence of the players, building a collective spirit between the 3 groups and a "we are in this together " spirit.

To date he has thrown the players to the wolves.

I give these views, obviously from my own perspective. I agree that we are 4 points off relegation, yes we are in free-fall and,and yes we have as much a chance as anyone of relegation. However I saw enough yesterday from the team to suggest to me, that we are heading in the right direction, under Megson. The two new signings (Megson's first addition it must be said) looked like solid acquisitions and both players organised our defence throughout . Other than the first goal (free header from Madines man) and the deflected shot that fell at Lamberts feet, we limited an excellent attacking side to minimal chances. If we would have got the first goal yesterday, it would have been a completely different ball game, believe me. We were gaining confidence and getting more and more into the game until a lack of concentration cost us.

It has took time for Megson to get his ideas across to the players, due in large to the fact that he gave the existing squad (who failed to deliver) an opportunity to show their worth. They all started on a clean slate which was only fair. However he is beginning to form the nucleus of a solid team, and one which in my opinion is more than capable of cruising to a mid-table finish.

On yesterdays evidence, and from the performance of his new signings, I am confident that Megson will bring in the right type of players in the summer. For me he needs to concentrate on pace and creativity, as well as a box-to-box player in midfield. I believe that if he can bring in Jones and maybe someone of Batths ilk (ie young, strong and hungry) then we will be ok at the back.

To suggest that we are going down, despite our current position, is a bit of an over-reaction. It reminds me a bit of when our lass screams me into the bathroom because she is in danger, only to find that there is a little spider crawling in the bath. Although some might be fearful of our current predicament, and with that they might fear for our safety, the problem is not as big as some might seem.

DON'T PANIC!!!

Guest Deleted member

Agree with that tooWe have 8 new players in the squad who clearly haven't 'gelled'. If I was Megson I'd be deciding on my core of 20 to take us to the end of the season now, and they'd be taking advantage of the midweek postponement to attend a 4 day intensive training camp away from Sheffield to bond and generate a 'we're in it together' attitude to carry us to the end of the season. Anybody who thinks we can't/won't be relegated is in Cloud Cuckoo land

Are you drunk.

If we lose next week we are in the mix.

Tell me the players who are going to battle to get us out of the mess, who are the players who will score the goals for us to win games .

It only needs one of the bottom 4 to start a run and we will struggle to stay up.

We did ok for long spells yesterday but never looked like winning/scoring and in case you don't understand you don't get any points for losing.

1. No- I don't drink.

2. If WE win then it all changes. (your sounding a bit like Irvine, worrying about the other teams)

3. Jones, Batth, Reynolds, Morrison,Coke, Osbourne, Madine. On yesterdays evidence we created little, so agreed this is a worry. But we were up against a team who has only conceded 10 at home all seasoon. I beleieve Madine will chip in with goals so will Hefferman (and Morrison and Mellor when they get a chance), maybe midfileders and the big centre half, as well. To be fair I wouldn't be surprised if Megson brings a striker in on loan (with pace) to partner Madine.

4. It only takes US to start a run and we will stay up. (yet again you are sounding like Irvine)

The fans are 100% not to blame here. I am amazed that any of us turn up still.

I never booed when we were in the prem. I very rarely did in the championship but this year is different. If I want to tell those ******** what I think to them impersonating a footballer then I will do.

When the players work hard then they get 100% backing from us all. The problems at this club are down to them, not Megson, not MM and certainly not the fans.

At this moment we haven't got a team we have a group of strangers to each other, a team is a special blend who are more than the sum of their parts, they know each others strenths and

weaknesses and make up any defects by their collective efforts, this takes someone able to teach this group of players how to perform as a unit, chop and change willn't work unfortunately

we are running out of time, these matter should be sorted out during training, its now up to GM and his staff to mould these players by any means into a team, once he does this things we should

improve, but he needs to stick with the chosen men and work a miricle ASAP otherewise he and his staff will be gone IF we don't quickly improve and climb away from where we are NOW !!

Absolutely.

And this is the worry I have about Megson.

He's passionate about the club and tells it like it is, but is there a chance that he's actually having a negative effect on the players?

Yes, the players themselves need to respond and show some balls, but how long has Megson been here now?

We've had numerous changes to the line up in each game and that cannot help at all. He needs to decide on his best 11 pretty quickly, the thing is, I don't think he even knows himself...

Guest gringo69

I didn't hear too much booing yesterday and they still lost, some of the players (again) jogging around without a care in the world.

Where was the midfield tracking back to the side where they scored their second goal from ? The TV clearly shows Tommy Miller sauntering along.

Very little urgency, when it matters. Don't see many of them busting a gut for the cause, which is now a full blown relegation fight.

I'm not a boo-er, but have sat and thought when will the boos start, and its only after we concede due to complete wee wee tail ups, so NOT caused by booing at all.

A bit more cutting edge and we might have got a point from each of the last 2 games, but playing for a whole game, rather than just a third of it, is where the initial problem lies.

No

The team has to be the catalyst to EVERYTHING not the other way round. Thats where LS got it wrong

This.

When the team started playing against Peterborough, the crowd got behind them and continued to right up until Weaver spilt his shot into the goal.

When they pull their finger out and start playing football, we'll always get behind them - but at the moment, they continue to dish up crap.