Time to wipe the slate clean?

I strongly feel that there has been a negative atmosphere around the club for the past few years that is holding the club back. It lingers like a mist of gloom that casts a shadow over the club and sucks the enthusiasm out of the fans and subsequently the staff. It makes Hillsborough feel like a place of failure, depair and resignation.

As a fanbase, we are like the guy who lost it all and can't come to terms with it and now spends his time bitter and resentful and unable to move on. We are that grieving fella sat stewing on the past. And who can blame us? The last decade has been crap.

We all suffer from chronic 'Here-we-go-again-itis' which results from years of being kicked in the teeth. We all feel like the club owes us for all this.

However, I feel we have to snap out of this nostalgia induced state of self pity that turns into resentment on matchdays when things aren't going so well. We need to ask ourselves this question, "Is the disillusionment I feel purely attributable to the current staff, or am I giving them a hard time for events that pre-date them?"

If the answer to that question is that we may be taking our longstanding frustrations (maybe due to people who are no longer at the club) out on the current staff, then you have to think how the current staff must feel. If I was them I'd think it was unfair to blame me.

Sure, the manager and players may not be the long term solution, but surely if we all wipe the slate clean, respect the chairman's decision to back the manager and give them all a fresh start and therefore the kind of support that the team used to get at S6, it can only have a positive effect on the pitch.

Support can only improve the team's performances, taking frustration out on the staff can only breed fear, damage morale and deepen the gloom at S6. The negativity has seen many good staff fail at S6, unable to cope with the pressure. Our new signings could well be heading the same way if we're not careful.

I don't have confidence in AI and a lot of the players to get us up, but I'm not going to make things worse by giving them stick. I'd love them to prove me wrong so I'll do what the guy who saved our club asks, and support them 100% and see what happens. In the past, we were right to berate overpaid vultures, but this manager and this team definitely give 100% so they deserve a break.

The fans always give 100% but we need to forget the past and look forward. We are a decent 3rd division club which has just been given a massive boost that could see us move forward. Now is the time for us to accept where we are, look forward and view any improvement from here as progression, not as catching back up - that way we might start to feel optimism again rather than less despair.

I strongly feel that there has been a negative atmosphere around the club for the past few years that is holding the club back. It lingers like a mist of gloom that casts a shadow over the club and sucks the enthusiasm out of the fans and subsequently the staff. It makes Hillsborough feel like a place of failure, depair and resignation.

As a fanbase, we are like the guy who lost it all and can't come to terms with it and now spends his time bitter and resentful and unable to move on. We are that grieving fella sat stewing on the past. And who can blame us? The last decade has been crap.

We all suffer from chronic 'Here-we-go-again-itis' which results from years of being kicked in the teeth. We all feel like the club owes us for all this.

However, I feel we have to snap out of this nostalgia induced state of self pity that turns into resentment on matchdays when things aren't going so well. We need to ask ourselves this question, "Is the disillusionment I feel purely attributable to the current staff, or am I giving them a hard time for events that pre-date them?"

If the answer to that question is that we may be taking our longstanding frustrations (maybe due to people who are no longer at the club) out on the current staff, then you have to think how the current staff must feel. If I was them I'd think it was unfair to blame me.

Sure, the manager and players may not be the long term solution, but surely if we all wipe the slate clean, respect the chairman's decision to back the manager and give them all a fresh start and therefore the kind of support that the team used to get at S6, it can only have a positive effect on the pitch.

Support can only improve the team's performances, taking frustration out on the staff can only breed fear, damage morale and deepen the gloom at S6. The negativity has seen many good staff fail at S6, unable to cope with the pressure. Our new signings could well be heading the same way if we're not careful.

I don't have confidence in AI and a lot of the players to get us up, but I'm not going to make things worse by giving them stick. I'd love them to prove me wrong so I'll do what the guy who saved our club asks, and support them 100% and see what happens. In the past, we were right to berate overpaid vultures, but this manager and this team definitely give 100% so they deserve a break.

The fans always give 100% but we need to forget the past and look forward. We are a decent 3rd division club which has just been given a massive boost that could see us move forward. Now is the time for us to accept where we are, look forward and view any improvement from here as progression, not as catching back up - that way we might start to feel optimism again rather than less despair.

Decent post, quite agree with most of it, especially the bit in bold.

We are football's answer to Miss Havisham.

Looking forward to some positivity that lasts more than a week, because Hillsborough is becoming a genuinely miserable place at the moment, understandably so.

Hopefully a win and a really glamorous 5th round cup draw can be the start of that.

Edited by leea8331

Not too sure whether to agree with you fully or not.

What you're saying makes perfect sense. I hate the fact that, at home, when a player makes a mistake a lot of the time they get booed. This makes the players uneasy on the ball and no longer want it resulting in poor results.

However, the current staff are now part of the history. The manager is the one that took us down to this division, he is the one that has changed the team to put his mark on it and, in turn, is the one resposible for us failing so far in this division.

I'd never have a bad word said against the likes of Milan and Howard as they are now part of the history worth rememberring.

I don't disagree with you at all, there are just points that aren't 100% agreeable with.

Part of the reason Irvine gets so much bile is that the negativiity towards the board has now gone.

Quite a lot of fans, especially on here, are manic depressives, and appear to take out the stresses of daily life on the keyboard, and other individuals, usually at the football club.

If Irvine went I predict that Mandaric would be the next in line, for not spending enough cash.

Then it would be the next manager.

And so on.

Guest Sheamus

Sorry, I have already made my mind up on the manager. I will not cut them any slack until he is GONE !!. I don't agree they ALL give 100%... smackingly obvious Potter never pulls his weight! still keeps on playing the little poo poo!

It's a brilliant post, so true and what I've been trying to get across to others, they'll soon be here to say..

'Unbelieavble, back to blaming fans'

We've got what we got for now, let's get behind them

! still keeps on playing the little poo poo!

Returned to side Tuesday :$

Anyway my mind is almost made up too but let's try give them all a positive environment

How would you feel if everyday you went to work you were constantly told your poo poo?

Edited by bartos

I don't want the world, I just want to see progress. If you leave last season's abject surrender to relegation out of it, and judge our manager on this season alone, our manager has been able to bring in 13 new players and yet we are sliding down the table, has he brought in the wrong players? have we got the wrong manager?

Can someone tell me how a team which must have the biggest wage budget in the division can get hammered at Exeter and Orient, lose against 10 man Plymouth, draw against 9 man Yeovil, and be regularly outplayed up and down the country.

Sooner or later, something has to give.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

I do think that there has been a very difficult almost poisonous atmosphere at the club in the last few years in particular, mainly due to the previous board. However, as fans I feel that we are less patient than ever, almost as if we cant take any more and we get on the teams back when in reality at League One level the kind of players who are mentally strong enough to cope with this and continue to play well are at a higher level.

I think there was a real opportunity to get people behind the club again with Mandaric arriving and it started well with that 6-2 win, but since then we have been awful and its left many asking the question "what does this club have to do to be successful?" especially as we have a solid team for this level to match squads that have blitzed this league.

I do think the general pressure and expectation has harmed our chances and I was worried about this at the start of the season, coupled with a real lack of energy in midfield (Coke aside).

Ideally it would be great if the fans turned up and got behind the team each week, I think thats what fans should do, but there is still a lot of pain amongst the fan base which makes this almost impossible...I don't think there is an easy answer but I do think that a manager who would get the team motivated and playing some attractive football would certainly help. It just seems dull at the moment and it stops me making the 220 mile round trip to come to a game as I know it would frustrate me to watch it.

Guest Sheamus

Returned to side Tuesday :$

Anyway my mind is almost made up too but let's try give them all a positive environment

How would you feel if everyday you went to work you were constantly told your poo poo?

If I was, fair enough.

Comes with the territory though in football, they should know what they're getting themselves into when they sign the first professional contract. Can't hack it... find another job.

I don't want the world, I just want to see progress. If you leave last season's abject surrender to relegation out of it, and judge our manager on this season alone, our manager has been able to bring in 13 new players and yet we are sliding down the table, has he brought in the wrong players? have we got the wrong manager?

Can someone tell me how a team which must have the biggest wage budget in the division can get hammered at Exeter and Orient, lose against 10 man Plymouth, draw against 9 man Yeovil, and be regularly outplayed up and down the country.

Couldn't have put it better

I agree completely. All I'm trying to say is that giving them stick is only likely to make them play worse but I accept that it is hard for the fans to turn a blind eye after 10 years of dross.

I should have added that although I think Irvine is out of his depth and he's drowning in a sea of coaching manuals, I actually like the guy. I love listening to his post match reaction, I love listening to his interviews on Wednesday player. The way he is conducting himself in what must be a very stressful time for him, is very dignified, he looks unflapable, and even though he must be hurting as bad as we are, he is not showing it. I've not doubt he is very hard working, I've no doubt he is an excellent coach, I just don't think he is a good manager, it's nothing personal.

Guest Sheamus

I agree completely. All I'm trying to say is that giving them stick is only likely to make them play worse but I accept that it is hard for the fans to turn a blind eye after 10 years of dross.

Surely if it means seeing off a diabolical manager - then that can only benefit us in the longer run right? giving the chairman the opportunity to make amends for his or a previous chairman's error of judgment, thus appointing one who is competent and proper!

Part of the reason Irvine gets so much bile is that the negativiity towards the board has now gone.

Quite a lot of fans, especially on here, are manic depressives, and appear to take out the stresses of daily life on the keyboard, and other individuals, usually at the football club.

If Irvine went I predict that Mandaric would be the next in line, for not spending enough cash.

Then it would be the next manager.

And so on.

Not because we keep losing and occasions get thrashed against teams with a lower wage budget.

I'm not boo-ing anyone at the ground, I'm just stating my opinion on here. I realise we are a split fan base at the moment, and while I will disagree with some opinions on here, I respect everyone's right to have an opinion, even if it differs from mine. That's what makes football so fascinating, we can all go and watch a game, but some of us will see something different.

I don't agree with anyone boo-ing anybody in a Wednesday shirt.

Guest Sheamus

I'm not boo-ing anyone at the ground, I'm just stating my opinion on here. I realise we are a split fan base at the moment, and while I will disagree with some opinions on here, I respect everyone's right to have an opinion, even if it differs from mine. That's what makes football so fascinating, we can all go and watch a game, but some of us will see something different.

I don't agree with anyone boo-ing anybody in a Wednesday shirt.

I bet you would if it was Lee Hughes or Marlon King!