'Bigging teams up'

Guest Triplej2

You don't get it mate.

We are pissed off at Irvine's comments on other teams because it's not just "talk". We actually set up a lot of the time to counter what the other team do rather than letting them worry about us.

He could say whatever he wanted for me if i saw us tearing teams a new one and playing with the shackles off.

Edited by Triplej2

Like a bloke said on RS.

If a manager is asked about the oppositions star striker he is gifted the chance to praise his own defenders ability.

I.e " Your right Rooney is a threat but i know i can trust Alex and Terry to keep him quiet."

Wouldnt hurt AI to flip it and turn it into a praise for us.

Unlike Turner, Sturrock, Yorath etc. AI's got more than one very good player in every position.

It all comes down to if you have a squad that are talented enough to praise, and good enough to go at teams with. Irvine does have the squad but never uses it to scare other teams.

Morrison, Mellor, Teale, Miller etc. should all be names on a teamsheet that scare the other team. At the minute they're devoid of self confidence and not scaring anyone.

With a squad clearly lacking in confidence surely praising their abilities is only a good thing.

^^^Exactly what he says! Whenever he's asked about the opposition, all he has to do is say something like "They're a threat, but we capable of dealing with them. We need to make the opponent worry about us by playing our football etc etc". Turn it around and big our team up instead, no wonder we don't play with any confidence when all he does is talk about the opposition.

Also, DJ1, you are only looking at the interviews on SWFC website I believe? So I guess that doesn't take into account any interviews he does elsewhere i.e. Radio Sheffield?

Also, DJ1, you are only looking at the interviews on SWFC website I believe? So I guess that doesn't take into account any interviews he does elsewhere i.e. Radio Sheffield?

The OS interviews are done from comments at the pre-match press meeting, which is exactly the same as Radio Sheffield and all the other journos attend.

Guest Triplej2

The OS interviews are done from comments at the pre-match press meeting, which is exactly the same as Radio Sheffield and all the other journos attend.

Fear and lack of confidence in the very fabric of the man. It's just blindingly obvious. He has no swagger, charisma or look of self belief. You can hear it in his interviews and you can see it in his teams.

You don't need to be a psychologist or football expert to see that.

You don't get it mate.

We are pissed off at Irvine's comments on other teams because it's not just "talk". We actually set up a lot of the time to counter what the other team do rather than letting them worry about us.

He could say whatever he wanted for me if i saw us tearing teams a new one and playing with the shackles off.

Bang on the money.

Some managers have different qualities, Big Ron (who I'm not saying was the perfect manager)certainly knew how to get the best out of his players.

He had that instinct about players and how to kid and cajole them to play at the top of their game, whether that was an arm around the shoulder or throwing tea cups around the changing room.

We have the best squad of players for a good number of years, and I get the impression AI does not now how to get the best out of his players.

Big Ron invited Stan Boardman on to the team coach on the way to Wembley in 1991 as a way of helping the players relax on the journey...would AI do this ? probably not as its not in any coaching manual, and he would want to watch the DVD first.

UTO's

Has there ever been a game when Irvine hasn't described it as being "tough" and/or "difficult"?

It's one thing showing them some respect, but another to just sound scared of them. I'll bet that when most other managers say they're going to be in for a tough game, they still focus on their own team and how they're going to play to their strengths, rather than analysing the opposition and filling their own players heads with talk of how hard it's going to be and how best to contain the opposition threat.

it doesnt really matter at all how much or even what he says really

those players should be going onto that pitch with the mindset that they are going to cause the other team problems, keeping the ball, knocking it all over the pitch, creating chances. Not bricking themselves that the 4th worst team in the football league are going to be a massive challenge and it'll be backs to the wall stuff.

they need a leader and a motivator, irvine is a dull boring negative yes man. his best idea to get them motivated for the second half is to put his cones out and make them run 10 yards 3 times in front of everyone. hardly motivating, more embarassing I'd say

C'mon James...

It must be getting pretty embarrassing now...?

Whilst I think the point you are trying to get across may have some validity in that MANY managers may discuss the opposition, the problems we see with AI are far more reaching than that as many have discussed already.

It is the way you argue the points and the way you seem to be defensive of anything club-related that people interpret in the way they do and see the picture that they see.

We appreciate that you can't be as open/direct/unresticted in your public views as you may possibily like and we have no issue with that, mate.

Maybe just maybe it would be better to say nowt.

Take it from someone who has usually not done enough of that, themselves...!

:biggrin:

OK - now to counter the points that Irvine spends more time bigging up the opposition than talking about our own team:

Let's take a few random Irvine pre-match articles and compare how much he talks bout our team compared to theirs (green text, our team - red text, their team), starting with the Yeovil one and random from thereon in:

http://www.swfc.co.u...2272959,00.html

http://www.swfc.co.u...1984320,00.html

http://www.swfc.co.u...1984320,00.html

http://www.swfc.co.u...2040050,00.html

Again, entirely at random - you can go through and do the same excercise yourself on 'The Manager' pages on the OS. I will admit, they are all editorialised but having seen some of these pre-match press meetings I can honestly say that's how the conversations go.

Of course there will be more about our team, he is the manager of Sheffield Wednesday speaking on the SWFC official website and talking at swfc press meetings, looks a bit biased this argument to say the least.

What your examples show is that much of the points highlighted in green are general stuff about our team, injury news and comments made that are not actually Irvine quotes but filler stuff surrounding the interviews.

The stuff highlighted in red are almost all Irvine quotes and the quotes in red are far more positive about the opposition than the stuff in green is about our own team.

The facts are that we have picked up just 5 points from 7 games, including 2 hammerings against teams in the bottom half of the division. Whatever he may or may not say actions speak louder than words and we are now as close to the relegation zone as we are to the automatic promotion places.

Guest CatBurt

Donny

Some big fish hooked and all without mentioning LS once.

Well done!

Can I lick you?

Burt

Edited by CatBurt