'Bigging teams up'

Guest Triplej2

Who cares what Managers say in interviews? seriously this is getting silly now.

Laws was like Ron Manager, look at SOD at Rovers, boring as flip. Makes zero difference to the outcome of a match. I doubt the players even see or hear these interviews.

Just donny, have you missed the point again?

The reason why people make a big thing of Irvine "bigging up" the opposition is because it's NOT just talk, it plays out on the field through tactics and results. It's quite clear that there is a fear factor and attempt at nullification of our opponents most games.

If he talked them up and payed them respect but took all 3 points at 5 O'clock then fair play, but more often than not lately we don't take the points and the performance has looked introverted and fearful.

Just donny, have you missed the point again?

The reason why people make a big thing of Irvine "bigging up" the opposition is because it's NOT just talk, it plays out on the field through tactics and results. It's quite clear that there is a fear factor and attempt at nullification of our opponents most games.

If he talked them up and payed them respect but took all 3 points at 5 O'clock then fair play, but more often than not lately we don't take the points and the performance has looked introverted and fearful.

I haven't missed any point. You have no idea what Irvine tells the players. You assume it's negative because he is a grey bloke with a dull voice and is perceived as negative for giving the same style interview almost all other managers do.

The players have looked fearful for a couple of seasons now at Hillsborough, When Strafford was there he made a point of it, said we needed players who could handle the pressure of playing for a big club with a big ground. Even Morrison looked edgy on Tuesday, doubt he's the kind to let a manager scare him by telling him he's got to be wary of Yeovil. Do you think players have empty heads and just accept whatever the manager fills it with?

"Duh boss who we got this week eh? are they any good boss?"

"Yeah they look dangerous we'll have to adapt to make sure we don't get hammered."

"Jeez boss hope I'm up to it, I'm really nervous now"

Anyway this thread is directly about people criticising his interviewing style, if you didn't notice that then it's you who missed the point... again. :rolleyes::biggrin:

Guest Triplej2

I haven't missed any point. You have no idea what Irvine tells the players. You assume it's negative because he is a grey bloke with a dull voice and is perceived as negative for giving the same style interview almost all other managers do.

The players have looked fearful for a couple of seasons now at Hillsborough, When Strafford was there he made a point of it, said we needed players who could handle the pressure of playing for a big club with a big ground. Even Morrison looked edgy on Tuesday, doubt he's the kind to let a manager scare him by telling him he's got to be wary of Yeovil. Do you think players have empty heads and just accept whatever the manager fills it with?

"Duh boss who we got this week eh? are they any good boss?"

"Yeah they look dangerous we'll have to adapt to make sure we don't get hammered."

"Jeez boss hope I'm up to it, I'm really nervous now"

Anyway this thread is directly about people criticising his interviewing style, if you didn't notice that then it's you who missed the point... again. :rolleyes::biggrin:

WE PLAY LIKE IRVINE SOUNDS IN INTERVIEWS, WE ADAPT TO THEM,WE CHANGE OUR GAME FOR THEM, WE ARE NEGATIVE. FOR F*CK'S SAKE MAN :blink::blink::blink:

HE PLAYED 4 CENTRAL MIDFIELDERS TO COUNTERACT BOURNEMOUTH AT HILLSBOROUGH FOR F*CKS SAKE!!!

same generic manager interview blueprint

talk about the opposition in a respectful way

what gets me is how the past managers say "we have to be WARY of the opposition .. they are a good outfit"

whereas Irvine says "i put out a team to COMBAT the opposition"

thats the difference. Irvine puts his team out to negate the opposition where managers of the past just comment about them and send out their own team

its too negative ...

WE PLAY LIKE IRVINE SOUNDS IN INTERVIEWS, WE ADAPT TO THEM,WE CHANGE OUR GAME FOR THEM, WE ARE NEGATIVE. FOR F*CK'S SAKE MAN :blink::blink::blink:

HE PLAYED 4 CENTRAL MIDFIELDERS TO COUNTERACT BOURNEMOUTH AT HILLSBOROUGH FOR F*CKS SAKE!!!

Miller has never been an out & out CM he played well for us out wide more than once last season and for other clubs. Coke is an attack minded player so that is not a negative selection. JJ was in America and Teale was subbed off the week before when not having a good game. Teale came on in the 2nd half (for O'Conner). Sedgwick was also available but I think both Coke and Miller offer a more attacking threat than him. Nothing negative or defensive about that team selection or subs made.

I stand corrected if there's an interview I missed saying he picked the team to counter Bournemouth, if not I stick with my theory that you're just assuming he did.

The most infamous example of his negative mindset was openly admitting that he was hoping to come away from Cardiff in the penultimate game of last season with a draw - a result that gave Palace the opportunity to render our final day showdown with them absolutely irrelevant. As it was, a last ditch clearance by a West Brom defender gave us a reprieve. And in that finale, when our foolish fat striker injured himself whilst we still needed a goal, who did he bring on? That renowned goal machine Tom bloody Soares.

The most infamous example of his negative mindset was openly admitting that he was hoping to come away from Cardiff in the penultimate game of last season with a draw - a result that gave Palace the opportunity to render our final day showdown with them absolutely irrelevant. As it was, a last ditch clearance by a West Brom defender gave us a reprieve. And in that finale, when our foolish fat striker injured himself whilst we still needed a goal, who did he bring on? That renowned goal machine Tom bloody Soares.

Didn't he move Varney up front?

And wasn't it the Cardiff game where we lost and he said something about it could've been a valuable point, meaning at the time before other results came in. And then it was twisted on here into something completely different by his detractors? Or was that another game? Genuine question.

And wasn't it the Cardiff game where we lost and he said something about it could've been a valuable point, meaning at the time before other results came in. And then it was twisted on here into something completely different by his detractors? Or was that another game? Genuine question.

Don't need to answer the last question. I remembered right. Link

I remember him out on the left bloody wing and Esajas in the middle watching the ball sailing backwards and forwards over his head.

We went into the final game a point behind Palace who had a vastly superior goal difference, so it was effectively a two point gap. They played at home on the Monday night and only a last minute clearance from under his own crossbar by a West Brom defender stopped us being relegated there and then. So what use was a point at Cardiff ever going to be? The only outcome going into the last game was that either we were already down or we had to win. Only a victory at Cardiff would have changed that scenario.

I remember him out on the left bloody wing and Esajas in the middle watching the ball sailing backwards and forwards over his head.

We went into the final game a point behind Palace who had a vastly superior goal difference, so it was effectively a two point gap. They played at home on the Monday night and only a last minute clearance from under his own crossbar by a West Brom defender stopped us being relegated there and then. So what use was a point at Cardiff ever going to be? The only outcome going into the last game was that either we were already down or we had to win. Only a victory at Cardiff would have changed that scenario.

Going into the Cardiff game Watford were on 48, we were on 46, Palace were on 47 So without knowing the Watford or Palace scores it could have been a good point.

If Palace had won, and Watford drew we would've needed the point for a chance of staying up due to Watford's superior goal difference.

I've just listened to the interview. Irvine was talking about his thoughts during the game, he said when we equalized he thought (past tense) we'd go on to secure a point which could have been valuable.

Then it was twisted on here.

Edited by Just_Donny

Irvine constantly bigs up the opposition.

He consistently puts out teams to stifle the opposition.

By doing this he gives teams the confidence to play against us.

His approach doesn't work.

The End.

Have you seen what you're responsible for? Look at my avatar by Trev, 1st my user name now this! :mad:

:biggrin:

Going into the Cardiff game Watford were on 48, we were on 46, Palace were on 47 So without knowing the Watford or Palace scores it could have been a good point.

If Palace had won, and Watford drew we would've needed the point for a chance of staying up due to Watford's superior goal difference.

I've just listened to the interview. Irvine was talking about his thoughts during the game, he said when we equalized he thought (past tense) we'd go on to secure a point which could have been valuable.

Then it was twisted on here.

You actually believe Irvine didn't know the Watford score, especially when they were 3-0 up before the hour mark? We didn't equalise until the 78th minute. Come on. Even you're not going to stretch credibility that far are you?

We knew we had to play Palace on the final day. Going into the last two games we were a point behind them. A draw at Cardiff would have put us level, but their goal difference was only 16 better than ours. In other words, the only outcome going into the finale was that we would already be relegated (had Palace not had an injury time effort cleared off the line as it turns out) or we would have to win. The ONLY way to change that scenario to our benefit would have been to win at Cardiff.

Edited by DJMortimer

You actually believe Irvine didn't know the Watford score, especially when they were 3-0 up before the hour mark? We didn't equalise until the 78th minute. Come on. Even you're not going to stretch credibility that far are you?

We knew we had to play Palace on the final day. Going into the last two games we were a point behind them. A draw at Cardiff would have put us level, but their goal difference was only 16 better than ours. In other words, the only outcome going into the finale was that we would already be relegated (had Palace not had an injury time effort cleared off the line as it turns out) or we would have to win. The ONLY way to change that scenario to our benefit would have been to win at Cardiff.

DJM with all due respect what I'm saying is not opinion, or theory it is fact. Listen to the interview if you like. He was going through his thoughts during the game at the moment we equalised. There's nothing to debate it's what happened.

I'm not repeating the way it could've been an essential point as you've decided to ignore that and continue with your assumption AI knew the scores during the match. You believe you are right and AI was just so stupid he couldn't work it out rather than accept that for whatever reason, he didn't look at the scores from other games til after our match.

DJM with all due respect what I'm saying is not opinion, or theory it is fact. Listen to the interview if you like. He was going through his thoughts during the game at the moment we equalised. There's nothing to debate it's what happened.

I'm not repeating the way it could've been an essential point as you've decided to ignore that and continue with your assumption AI knew the scores during the match. You believe you are right and AI was just so stupid he couldn't work it out rather than accept that for whatever reason, he didn't look at the scores from other games til after our match.

And you assume he didn't know the score. What's the difference?

Even if he set out to avoid it, there is no way whatsoever he would have done so. Football supporters know the situation and would have delighted in rubbing it in. Not only that, but weren't Cardiff pissed off with us from the previous season when they thought we were taking the wee wee at them missing the play-offs and so set out for revenge? Did they put up score updates during the game?

Regardless, when it comes to Palace, it was still a totally meaningless point he was after anyway.

Edited by DJMortimer

And you assume he didn't know the score. What's the difference?

Even if he set out to avoid it, there is no way whatsoever he would have done so. Football supporters know the situation and would have delighted in rubbing it in. Not only that, but weren't Cardiff pissed off with us from the previous season when they thought we were taking the wee wee at them missing the play-offs and so set out for revenge? Did they put up score updates during the game?

Because what I say is based on the evidence, what you say is based on your biased view of Irvine. I'm not very well educated, am poor at English, I even use Google Chrome just because of the spell checker just so I don't spend half my time on here being pulled up by the spelling police, but even I know the difference between past and present tense. He "thought" meaning at the time, which is in context with the rest of the sentence.

Which means he must not have known the score. You might not like him as a manager but if you seriously think he (or any of the coaches around him he talks to) couldn't work out a point wasn't good enough due to Watford winning then you're either stupid or just refusing to accept you were wrong. I'm pretty sure it's the later of the 2.

Edited by Just_Donny