heffernan

Guest bensonowl

One thing that's clearly obvious is that he's been playing for a SOD team and sharing a training ground with him for the last couple of years. The way he drops deep, picks the ball up and looks to bring every other player into the game with a couple of neat touches reeks of a SOD style of football.

I know its a one off but having seen Donny againt Reading yesterday they can keep O'Driscoll.

Has he picked up his player of the month award yet?

The poll was never restarted in December from what I remember, and surely they can't leave it unclaimed out of spite, so did Heffernan get it?

He should have got it for December, for averaging two goals per game. Disgraceful for poll to be pulled.

January is no different, Heff is averaging two goals per game again. Better strike rate than Dooley.

Changes the way we play everytime ive seen him he makes good intelligent runs and demands the ball to feet changing the way we play football in the process.

I know people will say they get no service but for me the front two need changing while they are decent together I think we all got a bit carried away with the mellor morrison partnership because it was a step up from lumping the ball at tudgays head but for me their movements poor for experienced cf and they never look to get in behind. There was a moment in the first half when teale was in his proper position on the right and he put a perfect ball in between keeper and defenders and none of our strikers read it at all.

Having said all that theres more chance of me starting next week than the heff he's back to being 4th choice striker who might be brought on in the 89th minute if irvines feeling brave.

alan must be gutted, twice now in the last two home games he's fetched heffernan on and he's performed at least as well as the player he's replaced, and scored...in the past it didn't matter, he didn't want to know, he didn't listen to people who had no badges...but now we have a man paying the bills who hasn't any badges either, and he's bound to have seen that heffernan's got a bit about him...so how long before irvine has to do the unthinkable and give him a run in the side... :st2:

Guest britmod_owl

he was really good, added a fresh spark and changed the game. Only issue is with new players coming in is Morrison really going to be dropped? Its going to be Morrison plus someone else and i still think Heff will be third choice for irvine.

I do like Morrison though, i liked the way he took all the attention away from Redas fair but crunching tackle and had majority of Charltons team around im instead. He protects the team and if we are going to bring in youngsters which i agree with then i think we do need him.

Our most intelligent footballer by miles.

Never wastes the ball, has a great touch, excellent vision and a natural finisher.

Immense.

The great thing for me was (and seems to be with better than average players) he seemed to have plenty of time, even though he had quite a few defenders in close proximity. I like Mellor, and am not massively impressed by Clinton Morrison, but what neiter of them ever appear to have is plenty of time on the ball. They always appear rushed, and to be huffing and puffing, whereas Heffernan just seems to be very relaxed on the ball.

What about the drop from 23000 to just over 15000 in very quick time? How about struggling to hit 20000 against Huddersfield at home? Was that down to the pitiful away following? 19000 isn't too bad but 15000 or thereabouts is the reason we nearly went out of business.

Heffernan's treatment at the hands of this manager is absolutely patently unfair. It's so obvious as to be beyond debate.

That is not to say he should have been starting plenty of games as Mellor and Morrison have generally played well and scored goals. But early in the season when we hadn't settled on a favoured pairing he was almost entirely left out of the rotation with just one league start and two in the Carling Cup (he was substituted in all three) and even as Tudgay barely threatened to score. Despite being available for all 32 games this season, he has failed to appear at all in exactly half of them despite being the third striker since the end of November when Tudgay went on loan to Forest. Even when we had injury problems, Irvine turned to a winger coming back from a long term injury and who is noted for his erratic end product instead. And even when we have been desperate for a goal or the game has already been decided and starters could be protected and reserves given a chance to impress, he has often been given just a few minutes on the pitch.

Had we been romping to the title, Irvine might have some defence for this. But we clearly haven't. I see no defence for how the manager has handled Heffernan.

Edited by DJMortimer

Heffernan's treatment at the hands of this manager is absolutely patently unfair. It's so obvious as to be beyond debate.

That is not to say he should have been starting plenty of games as Mellor and Morrison have generally played well and scored goals. But early in the season when we hadn't settled on a favoured pairing he was almost entirely left out of the rotation with just one league start and two in the Carling Cup (he was substituted in all three) and even as Tudgay barely threatened to score. Despite being available for all 32 games this season, he has failed to appear at all in exactly half of them despite being the third striker since the end of November when Tudgay went on loan to Forest. Even when we had injury problems, Irvine turned to a winger coming back from a long term injury and who is noted for his erratic end product instead. And even when we have been desperate for a goal or the game has already been decided and starters could be protected and reserves given a chance to impress, he has often been given just a few minutes on the pitch.

Had we been romping to the title, Irvine might have some defence for this. But we clearly haven't. I see no defence for how the manager has handled Heffernan.

Hopefully Mr Mandaric has seen what we have been saying all season.

Actually good to read a thread where people actually recognise a real striker.

Best performance from a striker for many months .............

The Heff thankfully WILL now have to start the next few games at the expense of Mellor or Morrison (Take your pick for me)

Ok ..... he may not have the same impact as yesterday all the time,however we will have someone to link up play properly and if given the chances will put the ball in the net.

If Irvine even thinks of not starting him he will be on borrowed time at Hillsborough.

Exactly.

Fantastic when he came on. After that first terrible half, SMASH! great finish. Almost won us the game too.

Looked great every time he touched the ball.

Sedgwick is a smart footballer too. Those two linked up well together.

Sedgwick ? SMART ?

He is fkin poo . When he gets the ball I feel like I am watchin a slow motion replay.

When he tracks back, his legs are going like a 100 metre sprinter but its like he is in a dream, cos as much as he tries he just cant get there.

Effort 100%

Ability - C R A P

WTID

Guest Buxtonian

Have been advocating he be given a start for weeks now, and was pleasantly surprised when he came on after 45 mins yesterday. he certainly added a new threat from our attack, and I hope he is given several starts to become settled in the side.

In fairness to AI, however, when you've had a side that's slotted 3 past a Championship side after being outplayed in the first half, only the week before, it's a little difficult to change that side at the start.

Still, more of the heff.

Guest Heffield Wednesday

Have been advocating he be given a start for weeks now, and was pleasantly surprised when he came on after 45 mins yesterday. he certainly added a new threat from our attack, and I hope he is given several starts to become settled in the side.

In fairness to AI, however, when you've had a side that's slotted 3 past a Championship side after being outplayed in the first half, only the week before, it's a little difficult to change that side at the start.

Still, more of the heff.

Totally agree with this post, Heffs is seen as back up for CM and NM and if when called on and given enough

minutes on the pitch his natural football intellegence and finishing will be shown and he wont let Wednesday down.

post-17098-054705500 1295191543_thumb.jp

Played his best football for us today and deserves a start next match. Looked composed on the ball and a threat on goal. Wish he'd got a bit more on that injury time header though. arghh

The way he headed that put me in mind of another great striker for us a certain David Hirst