Chris Sedgwick

He has done so well at previous clubs - I was really excited when I heard he was going to sign for us

The start of the season he was great - the longer it's gone on the more inconsistent he's got

I like wingers - when you get a good winger it excites the crowd, creates chances and increases your chance of a win

Without wingers we are crap

So we really need Sedgewick (or a replacement) on form

I just can't understand how he's gone from an amazing winger to an average one since coming here

Owlstalk Shop

Christopher Edward "Chris" Sedgwick (born 28 April 1980 in Sheffield) is an English professional footballer who is currently playing for League One club Sheffield Wednesday.

Sedgwick began his career as a right midfielder at Rotherham United, where he was affectionately known as the Yorkshire Express, and made over 250 first team appearances in a seven year stint at the Yorkshire club. During that time he earned a reputation as an honest hard-working right-midfielder with good distribution skills. He was often regarded as the talisman of the club because of his Sheffield upbringing and passion for the club. He signed for Preston North End for £400,000 in November 2004.

At Preston, Sedgwick started to fulfill his potential as a right midfielder under Billy Davies although the departure of Davies affected the certainty of his place in the team. Sedgwick did lose his place to Simon Whaley on the right wing when new manager Paul Simpson took charge at Preston. Towards the beginning of the 2006/2007 season, Sedgwick was asked to play in central midfield, a new position for the winger, forming a partnership with Paul McKenna.

In May 2010, Preston Boss Darren Ferguson said that he would not be extending Sedgwick's contract at the club. Sedgwick served Preston for 6 years, reaching the play-offs on 3 occasions, making a total of 229 league appearances.

On 7 June 2010 he became, Sheffield Wednesday manager, Alan Irvine's first summer signing of the 2010/11 pre-season.

Owlstalk Shop

I dont know "why" but he's just not very good.

Ive never took much notice of him at his previous clubs so was pretty open minded to start with.

Ive now decided after seeing him play 6 or 7 times, that he just aint good enough. Oh and how anyone can call him a winger defeats me, he doesn't have one attribute a winger needs, no pace, no skill etc.

Anyway rant over.

He has done so well at previous clubs - I was really excited when I heard he was going to sign for us

The start of the season he was great - the longer it's gone on the more inconsistent he's got

I like wingers - when you get a good winger it excites the crowd, creates chances and increases your chance of a win

Without wingers we are crap

So we really need Sedgewick (or a replacement) on form

I just can't understand how he's gone from an amazing winger to an average one since coming here

I'm assuming this is a wind up. I work with Rotherham fans who were never too impressed when he played for them, and were amazed when he left for a fairly sizeable fee. Maybe young Staton could give an opinion on Sedgewick's performances for Rotherham.

I usually go to Deepdale when we play there, and have watched us play Preston at Hillsborough, and never seen him have a particularly game against us.

If we could get a central midfield player who can get a foot in and do all the donkey work for him, I think Sedgewick would be far more effective playing in the middle, rather than out wide, where frankly he's been an embarrassment this season.

I'm assuming this is a wind up. I work with Rotherham fans who were never too impressed when he played for them, and were amazed when he left for a fairly sizeable fee. Maybe young Staton could give an opinion on Sedgewick's performances for Rotherham.

Yeah - Rob's probably a good person to ask

I'm speaking from reputation within the Rotherham fans that I speak to - plus a couple of times I saw him live for the Millers

The Rotherham fans I know were gutted when he came to us because they thought he'd transform us into a successful team that steamed teams and got promoted

Nothing but good things from the Millers I speak to

Just shows it all depends who you talk to !

Owlstalk Shop

I'm speaking from reputation within the Rotherham fans that I speak to - plus a couple of times I saw him live for the Millers

The Rotherham fans I know were gutted when he came to us because they thought he'd transform us into a successful team that steamed teams and got promoted

Surely a massive wind-up?

On Monday at Huddersfield he was not effective at all when he went wide, but he moved inside, and played a superb through ball for one of our strikers (can't really remember who it was), which deserved a goal, and earlier in the season he made quite a few of our goals, with intelligent passes/through balls, rather than crosses from out wide. He's more mobile and has more pace, than Miller, and if ever Miller was out of the side for any reason, Sedgewick might be worth a punt.

I usually go to Deepdale when we play there, and have watched us play Preston at Hillsborough, and never seen him have a particularly game against us.

If we could get a central midfield player who can get a foot in and do all the donkey work for him, I think Sedgewick would be far more effective playing in the middle, rather than out wide, where frankly he's been an embarrassment this season.

I assumed it was a wind up at first - then i got to this bit

Then i knew it was a wind up

Invariably the worst player on the pitch when i've seen him play for Preston - the only amazing thing is that he continues to play at such a level - which shouldn't be for much longer because surely we will have an effective wide player coming in among the raft of signings?

Couple of things about Chris.

He's never been known as the yorkshire express! He was MOM a couple of seasons ago against us, when we drew 1-1 with PNE.

He singed professionally with Rotherham a year earlier than others in the same academy team. Back to back promotions with Rotherham then signed by Billy Davies for PNE and played every game when PNE made the playoffs twice and left PNE because he thinks of very little of Ferguson (most PNE players do, they love AI by the way)

Started this season off well enough got injured against Brentford and then went off before half time against County in the JPT where i thought he was having his best game and he and Otsemobor were linking up well. I think thats what he needs someone with pace to overlap him. one thing that was noticeable against Huddersfield was our wide men didn't offer any protection and this is a stregth of Sedgy's game. I wouldn't say he is a winger but more of a wide right midfielder.

Difference is while JJ has pace he has no brain. When we played PNE 2 seasons ago, ball played over top JJ ran onto it and with 2 players looking for the cut back JJ smashed it into the side netting. Second half ball played over Spurr Sedgwick ran on to it waited an age before he played it across the goal for Chaplow to tap in from 2 yards. Thats the difference between the 2. Sedgwick will do a job tactically, put in the odd decent cross and do his defensive job where as JJ will run and not much else!

I think he'd probably do better in the centre!

Anyway I was glad when he signed for us, free entry into players lounge!