Best wednesday comebacks

Guest dunellaowl

I've been watching SWFC for 30 years (as of next month) and in that time I could give you a massive list of the times when we've squandered 2 and 3 goal leads, but a pretty small list of the times we've been the ones doing the coming back from the dead.

In all that time (and longer) we've only come back from 2-0 down to win once (that Reading game), times we've gone the other way and chucked it away must be in double figures.

Guest Distraught!

Can't remember exactly when it was as my memory is playing tricks but we were out for the count by half time. Bankrupt, potless and deep in the poo . By the time the ref blew for the full 90 minutes, we were debt free and doing the conga around the stands. Best comeback ever! FACT!

Great game that one. We were one nil up in the first few minutes, then 3-1 down at half time. The team were boooed off the pitch.

Straight after the second half kicked off, Gritt volleyed into his own net at the Kop end.3-2 Think Simonsen scored for them to make it 4-4.Then the Owls winner coming late on to make it 5-4

Would pay money just to see that OG again, possibly the best ever - all these years later I have still not worked out what he was actually trying to do!

Would pay money just to see that OG again, possibly the best ever - all these years later I have still not worked out what he was actually trying to do!

I went to Charlton the following season, and believe it or not Gritt scored another thumper in his own net. I kid you not.

The one against Reading springs to mind from 2003? i think.

2 nil down at half time and won 3-2. Quinn, Sibon and Alan Johnson scored.

Sibons last game if memory serves.

Tony Crane got subbed at half time after getting turned inside out for one of their goals. He had a turning circle comparable to that of a battleship.

That is the only one that really springs to mind

The Reading game mentioned above was one of the best 2nd halfs ive ever seen live. Alan Johnston was fantastic

The kop went mental when he lofted it over the keeper into an empty net

Owls 3-2 Reading

Sheffield Wednesday staged a remarkable second-half fightback to keep their mini-revival going with victory over promotion hopefuls Reading.

The Owls had a woeful first half and went in 2-0 down after goals from Nicky Forster and Martin Butler.

But Alan Quinn clawed one back just after the restart and following Gerald Sibon's equaliser, on-loan Allan Johnston struck the winner.

It was Wednesday's third victory in their last four league games and lifted manager Chris Turner's hopes of saving his home-town club from the threat of relegation.

Reading got away to a perfect start when the unmarked Forster took advantage of woeful defending to head home after nine minutes.

They made it two 10 minutes later when Sammy Igoe's pass sliced through the Wednesday defence for Butler to beat advancing goalkeeper Kevin Pressman.

Quinn gave Wednesday hope after 52 minutes when he drilled a shot past Marcus Hahnemann after Derek Geary's deep cross was knocked into his path by Shefki Kuqi.

Kuqi provided the lay-off for Sibon to shoot low into the net from 25 yards for the 69th-minute equaliser.

And two minutes later on-loan Middlesbrough midfielder Johnston sent the crowd wild when he fired a 25-yard shot past Hahnemann for the third.

It was an amazing turnaround as Reading had looked much the better team in the first half and Wednesday keeper Pressman was one of the busiest players on the field.

Although Reading staged the inevitable rousing finish, Butler could only fire wide from 20 yards as the seconds ticked down.

Sheff Wed: Pressman, Crane, Westwood, Geary, Monk, Soltvedt, Quinn, Green, Johnston, Sibon, Kuqi. Subs: Evans, Knight, Haslam, Maddix, Di Piedi.

Reading: Hahnemann, Murty, Shorey, Mackie, Brown, Igoe, Harper, Tyson, Newman, Butler, Forster. Subs: Viveash, Hughes, Cureton, Salako, Henderson.

Referee: A Penn (W Midlands)

Great game that one. We were one nil up in the first few minutes, then 3-1 down at half time. The team were boooed off the pitch.

Straight after the second half kicked off, Gritt volleyed into his own net at the Kop end.3-2 Think Simonsen scored for them to make it 4-4.Then the Owls winner coming late on to make it 5-4

This one for me too - didn't Bob Bolder let in a very soft goal in this game as well? Ball tamely coming towards him, he goes out to kick it, and it hits a divot or something, and he misses it completely and the ball trickled in? Sod was the word of the day!

This one for me too - didn't Bob Bolder let in a very soft goal in this game as well? Ball tamely coming towards him, he goes out to kick it, and it hits a divot or something, and he misses it completely and the ball trickled in? Sod was the word of the day!

That goal was against Rotherham at the Kop end when Ronnie Divot Moore scored.

Edited by marconi

That goal was against Rotherham at the Kop end when Ronnie Divot Moore scored.

d'oh!! Was that the boxing day game, when charlton was on new year's day? Might have to go and dig old programmes out of the attic now :biggrin:

WESTBROM 1 OWLS 2 shirtliffe 89 francis 90 promo season 90-91 went flippingmental when tricky trev scored winner!!!

Was at that game and got to say it was mad when the second goal went in. I just remember ending up on the floor and everybody jumping up and down on me. Also can remember from that game a lad in the pen next to us home fan with a away pig shirt on giving it the big one all game till we scored. Great day out that !!

WESTBROM 1 OWLS 2 shirtliffe 89 francis 90 promo season 90-91 went flippingmental when tricky trev scored winner!!!

Ah the memories..... A poor first half performance. Out came the teddy bears at half time. Seemed like hundreds of them being thrown around. The team came out to a carnival atmosphere for the second half. We inspired the players that day and when the second went in we went beserk.

A great great day.

Too right. I was there, in the West Brom home section. It's a strange feeling when you're grinning all over your face and jumping up and down in a stand otherwise entirely populated by grim-faced, seated fans. That was the kind of feeling you used to get watching them back then. Awesome.

Anybody got a clip of that match?

charlton home jan 3rd 1983. having lost 4-1 away at burnley(new years day) and having taken just 4 points(draws) from our last 9 games,we were 4-1 down at half time.... we won 5-4 (mcculloch 2,bannister,lyons & gritt OG)... still don't believe that 2nd half!!!!WTF

this the one that sticks in my mind, an absolute belter of an own goal from gritt. if i am right it was 5-4 with about 25 mins still to go.

the other one i can really remember was the 3-2 win at southampton after hirst and palmer scored for southampton putting them 2-0 up. i think it was 1996-1997 seaon