Best wednesday comebacks

Guest dunellaowl

Guest sotonowl

I've been watching SWFC for 30 years (as of next month) and in that time I could give you a massive list of the times when we've squandered 2 and 3 goal leads, but a pretty small list of the times we've been the ones doing the coming back from the dead.

In all that time (and longer) we've only come back from 2-0 down to win once (that Reading game), times we've gone the other way and chucked it away must be in double figures.

Nope,Owls were 2-0 down at the old dell versus saints.Saints had palmer and hirst playing for them which felt strange,think hirst scored.David Pleat i think brought Carbone and Blinker on for the second half and we ripped them to bits,final score saints 2 Owls 3

Nope,Owls were 2-0 down at the old dell versus saints.Saints had palmer and hirst playing for them which felt strange,think hirst scored.David Pleat i think brought Carbone and Blinker on for the second half and we ripped them to bits,final score saints 2 Owls 3

I was at that game with a few of the Jersey Owls (where I lived at the time). Certain we were 1-0 up before Hirst and Palmer scored, and then Di Canio got the winner about 5 minutes before the end when he turned their defence inside out as well as dumping their keeper on his arse! Di Canio's goal is easily available on You Tube.

My favourite come back though was 74/75 season away at Notts COunty. We were 1-0 up at half time, then they got a dodgy penalty and we lost our heads. Ian Scanlon scored the second fastest hat-trick of all time for County and we were 3-1 down (this would be around the hour mark). In the next couple of minutes they hit the post and forced a couple of reyt good saves from our keeper. Looked like we were in for a real hammering. However we weathered the storm and it ended up 3-3 with McMordie getting an equaliser a couple of minutes from the end. Needless to say we went mental.

Southampton away 1997 2-0 down at half-time Hirsty scored twice in about 3 mins and andy booth got the winner with about 5 mins left

we did the same thing the following season as well when di canio round there keeper about 50 times before getting bored and sticking it in the net

how did i forget that one??? :blush:

I was at that one, Henderson was outstanding. Was also at the first replay at Palace, a night match, when we scored an equaliser (David Sunley), in what must've been about the 94 minute. The game at Villa Park was a second replay, because we drew at Hillsborough, and at Selhurst Park.

First game in League 1 a few years back, Swindon away, 0-3 up after about 15 mins.....

That wasnt a come back, in fact it was nearly a come back for Swindon, ended up 3-2 to us.

There must have been 5000 of us there that day, was a reet laff. :biggrin:

charlton home jan 3rd 1983. having lost 4-1 away at burnley(new years day) and having taken just 4 points(draws) from our last 9 games,we were 4-1 down at half time.... we won 5-4 (mcculloch 2,bannister,lyons & gritt OG)... still don't believe that 2nd half!!!!WTF

Got to agree with this one, you had to be there to experience this game. Bloody phenomenal.

4-0 down at Stoke at half time. Recovered to draw 4-4 . Pancho Pearson - class :biggrin:

wow Tarquin thought i was the oldest owl around. Went on train that day, unlike most Wednesday fans stayed until the end after our avelanche of late goals Fantham hit bar in last minute to denie us a tremendous victory.

Many on the train could n't believe we had got out of Victoria with a draw, never mind the fact we should have won !

UTO WTID

No, in the first half they went 4 - 2 up. It wasn't 4 - 2 at half time, but at one point in the first that's what the score was.

Correct. I have a cloudy memory of the goals.

Wednesday kicking to the Lep. first half.

Whitham first minute 1-0 (I was in the Upper Lep and missed the goal, looking round at the crowd!)

Man Utd then went 2-1 up

Ritchie header in off the underside of the bar 2-2

Man U 3- 2 up

Then 4-2 up after Best and Law made a couple of one two passes and walked the ball home.

Three goals for us in the second half, although the only one I can remember was the shot of Whitham's which hit Nobby Stile's head and shot into the roof of the net.

Don't think I'll see a better match in my lifetime.

Edited by marconi