Not rocket science is it

dont like to see wednesday fans abusing each other, but come on you cant honestly have watched that tonight and thought yes what a result, what a performance?

No... but it was entertaining for those of us who are not master tacticians and expert player analysers. We went behind twice, came back twice, hit the bar, had one cleared off the line, had a couple of 1 on 1's, and our goalkeeper put us through with a penalty.

I've said from the start this is a meaningless competition, but me and my son thoroughly enjoyed our trip to Hillsborough tonight.

Yes our defence is shaky at best but just lighten up a bit, enjoy the win - that's all.

dont like to see wednesday fans abusing each other, but come on you cant honestly have watched that tonight and thought yes what a result, what a performance?

Yes you do I suspect...............and no but I can think yeah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE WON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So have a beer/glass of wine and lighten up a bit

No... but it was entertaining for those of us who are not master tacticians and expert player analysers. We went behind twice, came back twice, hit the bar, had one cleared off the line, had a couple of 1 on 1's, and our goalkeeper put us through with a penalty.

I've said from the start this is a meaningless competition, but me and my son thoroughly enjoyed our trip to Hillsborough tonight.

Yes our defence is shaky at best but just lighten up a bit, enjoy the win - that's all.

short sighted imo, the bigger picture is there for all to see that want to take the blue and white spectacles off for just one moment.

For a fiver I thought 'good entertainment'; a decent game and an exciting ending.

If League Two, or lower, football brings this at that price then the crowds will return.................................

Just so long as we have a club to return to

Guest scott_andrew_william

Why is your hair eating your face?

I'm concerned.

I was too, so I had a hair cut, but now I don't like it...it's short :/

100% agree with the OP. Glad it's not just me that has a downer on this season's team performances.

Unless investment is forthcoming, the squad that Irvine has assembled is going nowhere. Forget about Wembley, play- offs or promotion. We are a poor side, lacking in pace, poor in defence, shocking in midfield, and clueless upfront.

Lost my voice tonight shouting at Buxton for 90 minutes, terrible defender.

We had no shape or direction? we looked like clueless imbeciles? wtf are you talking about have you any grasp of the game or hows its meant to be played, or do you just talking ambiguous rubbish to mask your sheer lack of knowledge of the game. If you want to give some insight well and good lets have it, if you want to give me Jamie Redknapp style analysis where you say something but don't say anything, leave it out.

Well said Pulixifer, Yeah quite a lot of this lot pick up on a theme, then like a dog on a rag shake and shake and shake. One or two deffensive bloopers tonight, none worse than Purse and Buxton being in a straight line. But hold it, how many prem players we got, the players we have who have played at a higher level are here now and, get this, they're here because they deserve to be ! So do try and give them a break. Thanks also for the spelling of imbeciles (Mrbluesky please note) lol

The spireites played above themselves, but on chances we edged it. For those waxing lyrical about how they played, take another look. Yeah they were a little unlucky but outside open play they had 4 nailed on chances to seal the game and failed with everyone. Credit ( tempered credit) but credit none the less to Wednesday for a never say die display.

WTID

Got to remember the players we've got are a mixture between good and poor but mostly average. We had a terrible season last year for a variety of reason there's no point in going over again! We got rid of a few with bad attitudes and added what we could given we've got feck all money. What do we expect? I don't get how we say crap like "we should be turning teams over" or "should be dominating teams" in one thread and in another stating the individual players (we expect to do this) are crap!!! You can't have it both ways they're either crap or good enough to play like you expect. The reality is somewhere in between. Hopefully things will get better as the players new and old are now getting used to each other and now our best player, Miller is fit and JJ looks set to return. Winning in the way we did has got to be a boost for team spirit.

Today was a classic cup tie, surely you can't fail to have been entertained? Have people forgotten what footy's all about? flipping hell if you were gonna write a script about an exciting cup tie this would've been it surely. It's like watching an average movie with a brilliant twist at the end. The timing of our equalizer at the end the fact the pen was saved and he scored the rebound. The way Weaver kept us in the shoot out twice and then went on to score the winner. Doesn't matter if it was Chesterfield or Chelsea it was a cracking game of footy and we won and I bet most Owls left on a high, and that's what it's all about. Enjoy the highs and whinge about the lows. I don't know why some of you even watch football TBH you don' t seem to enjoy a second of it. :biggrin:

Regular reader but not a regular poster but same time a fellow Donny owl. My own personal view is one of the above. I have come home from the pub, couldn't make it to the game but I have come home being the talk of the pub mainly for my drunken shouting and dancing. I can't remember the last time I got so involved in any game. Through out the game I had the highs and the lows, disappointments about players, the expectations, the desire and the fear. I wont gloss over a great win but I am filled with pride if not just for Nicky Weaver. I wish I never promised a sambuca per penalty at the end but well at the end of the day there is no better feeling than a win like today. Something really felt great about Wednesday today including seeing the pictures of Sheridan, Waddle maybe even Mark Crossely (of course not to the same level) but today in a strange way gave me a feeling I've not had in a while. This today gave my friends more respect for Wednesday than they ever have all claiming a great typical cup tie. Again whilst I refuse to gloss over a good Wednesday win I really do want to say how much I enjoyed tonight. If Tudgay hadn't made that rebound from the penalty attempt maybe this would have been different but he did and that led to Nicky Weaver.... Proud Wednesday fan tonight.. it won't change the way the club is run tomorrow but that's tomorrow. Really enjoyed tonight's game as hard as it turned out!

As a finisher because I had this question in the pub - Pressman or Weaver?

Easily Pressman for me but this question came from an Everton,Leeds, Man U and Donny Rovers fan and they all held Pressman's penalty as the best they have ever seen.

UTO

Guest Leebarmyarmyswfc

Irvine does not play the game himself. His job is in the changing room and off the field, The players take over when they cross that white line and its them that are not doing the business not the manager!!

If Alex Ferguson was in charge of us then we wouldn't be in a higher position than we are now, And that's because the players are simply not good enough!

You're disappointed that a team who had nothing to lose and were up for the game didn't roll over?

Our team wouldn't finish mid table in the championship.

Our tactics were fine, the defense wasn't. That's not the managers fault.

We won, if we do get to the final, I wouldn't suggest you go. You could be disappointed.

"I was disgusted with the performance tonight primarily because we had no shape or direction. Sheridan had his team playing to a plan with width and guile and slick passing." Didn't Chesterfield concede four goals in their last game? So they would have been trying to iron out mistakes. I don't care for attacking football unless it wins us games, n we were pretty attacking in that game, n we won. You wouldn't be happy if we were in the top ten of the premiership.

i'd stop going every week if i was you, as you know f*ck all about football, and your statement makes that obvious, less happy clapping needed.

Irvine does not play the game himself. His job is in the changing room and off the field, The players take over when they cross that white line and its them that are not doing the business not the manager!!

If Alex Ferguson was in charge of us then we wouldn't be in a higher position than we are now, And that's because the players are simply not good enough!

That's total poo tbf. So many things wrong.

For starters he bought 9 players in, in the summer. His signings.

Can't go into a detailed reply as I'm working but later on I will.

I also think Irvine got it wrong tactically, I understand from a good source that his "pre-match " went along these lines:

Neil, Clinton - your just about match fit now plenty of movement, hold the ball up and then move it around, plenty of interplay , their defence won't be able to live with you.

Giles, Darren, Glenn - your all too good for these guys, plenty of movement move the ball around, Darren , try a few forward passes as well, their defence won't be able to live with you.

Chris, Lewis, Darren, Dan and Mark - look we'll create lots of chances up front but its on the box, so lets make it a night to remember - Chris go missing for most of the game 11 v 10 will even it up a bit, Lewis and Dan play out of position for the evening .........stand by the half way line and watch if you want.......I know why don't you try as a unit for some comedy gold................................might get on Look North as well ! (I've always wanted to meet that Christa) .....so ......a couple of collisions,..............fall over the ball...............................try to head one that's on the ground ....Darren and Mark miss a few simple tackles as well.

Ok guys lets go out there and entertain them ! (team exit dressing room to Robbie Williams at full blast.......................)

Not the tactics I'd have used but hey it worked.

It's worrying that people can't see the bigger picture because of a 2-2 draw (penalty win) at home against a decent League Two team.

We won on Saturday against a team that came up from League Two last year.

The only convincing win and performance this season was against Hartlepool. That's one game. Just one game.

I'm sorry but I'm worried of what we'll do this year. I can't see us even knocking at the door of the top two.

It either needs Irvine to have a rethink on his methods or a new man in the hot seat.

Either way we need to change as we will not be going up.

Exactly.

Enjoy a penalty victory against a League 2 club all you want but don't come crying after we serve up more dirge on Saturday.