Not rocket science is it

Most of us (me included) stated at the start of the season that this squad would have been good enough for top half in the championship let alone league one.

Most of our squad have played at a higher level. So why do we look like clueless imbeciles this campaign?

Well for me its simple, the manager picks the team, decides the formation and tactics. We looked second best at times tonight and have done for much of this season

I dont buy the 'its their cup final' statements because at no stage this season have we looked like taking anyone apart. I was disgusted with the performance tonight primarily because we had no shape or direction. Sheridan had his team playing to a plan with width and guile and slick passing. We had no idea and with players that frankly are capable of much better than this.

A very disappointed fudder OWL

Guest mrbluesky

Most of us (me included) stated at the start of the season that this squad would have been good enough for top half in the championship let alone league one.

Most of our squad have played at a higher level. So why do we look like clueless imbeciles this campaign?

Well for me its simple, the manager picks the team, decides the formation and tactics. We looked second best at times tonight and have done for much of this season

I dont buy the 'its their cup final' statements because at no stage this season have we looked like taking anyone apart. I was disgusted with the performance tonight primarily because we had no shape or direction. Sheridan had his team playing to a plan with width and guile and slick passing. We had no idea and with players that frankly are capable of much better than this.

Got to agree(surprise surprise) awful again tonight Irvine once again has been shown to be inept at tatics, WE HAVE THE PLAYERS BUT NOT THE MANAGER!!

Guest Darkus Owlus

I was waiting for this post tonight.

It's good we won obviously but as you said the play was diabolical. (Skimmed the highlights on a sky recording)

Sadly this sort of result means Irvine will limp on, but mark anyones words we'll again find ourselves in a losing streek when we come up against the better sides.

The board won't act, it will drag out and ultimately their hesitation will be more costly than the compensation payout we'll probably have to pay out anyway.

Guest scott_andrew_william

You're disappointed that a team who had nothing to lose and were up for the game didn't roll over?

Our team wouldn't finish mid table in the championship.

Our tactics were fine, the defense wasn't. That's not the managers fault.

We won, if we do get to the final, I wouldn't suggest you go. You could be disappointed.

"I was disgusted with the performance tonight primarily because we had no shape or direction. Sheridan had his team playing to a plan with width and guile and slick passing." Didn't Chesterfield concede four goals in their last game? So they would have been trying to iron out mistakes. I don't care for attacking football unless it wins us games, n we were pretty attacking in that game, n we won. You wouldn't be happy if we were in the top ten of the premiership.

Guest Darkus Owlus

Rome wasn't built over night

We right now we just need one part of Rome to be built right - the coliseum. Then we can make a move on the ceasars at the top, similiar to the way of Julius.

Edited by Darkus Owlus

You're disappointed that a team who had nothing to lose and were up for the game didn't roll over?

We won, if we do get to the final, I wouldn't suggest you go. You could be disappointed.

"I was disgusted with the performance tonight primarily because we had no shape or direction. Sheridan had his team playing to a plan with width and guile and slick passing." Didn't Chesterfield concede four goals in their last game? So they would have been trying to iron out mistakes. I don't care for attacking football unless it wins us games, n we were pretty attacking in that game, n we won. You wouldn't be happy if we were in the top ten of the premiership.

????? our tactics were fine...... " i was disgusted with our performance we had no shape or direction"?????

Make your mind up son

Should have been there mate, it was worth £5.00 of anyone's money,

Roll on 10 points deduction and League Two football.

I was responding to a quote, rather than contradicting myself. I just don't see what peoples problem is? I mean the football might not be perfect, but at least we won.

Guest mrbluesky

So much crap in this thread but i thought i`d just pull you on this, we were the home side and like you rightly said (sorry wrongly said)they let in five goals but yet came here and attacked us, what did Irvine do when we lost(against Oldham) he shut up shop at home because we were fragile, we drew with a 4th tear side tonight and that is sh*t!, yet again players colliding looking at each other bemused F*CKIN COMICAL that's what the tactics is.

We had no shape or direction? we looked like clueless imbeciles? wtf are you talking about have you any grasp of the game or hows its meant to be played, or do you just talking ambiguous rubbish to mask your sheer lack of knowledge of the game. If you want to give some insight well and good lets have it, if you want to give me Jamie Redknapp style analysis where you say something but don't say anything, leave it out.

We had no shape or direction? we looked like clueless imbeciles? wtf are you talking about have you any grasp of the game or hows its meant to be played, or do you just talking ambiguous rubbish to mask your sheer lack of knowledge of the game. If you want to give some insight well and good lets have it, if you want to give me Jamie Redknapp style analysis where you say something but don't say anything, leave it out.

I take it you havent been watching this season then?

Got to remember the players we've got are a mixture between good and poor but mostly average. We had a terrible season last year for a variety of reason there's no point in going over again! We got rid of a few with bad attitudes and added what we could given we've got feck all money. What do we expect? I don't get how we say crap like "we should be turning teams over" or "should be dominating teams" in one thread and in another stating the individual players (we expect to do this) are crap!!! You can't have it both ways they're either crap or good enough to play like you expect. The reality is somewhere in between. Hopefully things will get better as the players new and old are now getting used to each other and now our best player, Miller is fit and JJ looks set to return. Winning in the way we did has got to be a boost for team spirit.

Today was a classic cup tie, surely you can't fail to have been entertained? Have people forgotten what footy's all about? flipping hell if you were gonna write a script about an exciting cup tie this would've been it surely. It's like watching an average movie with a brilliant twist at the end. The timing of our equalizer at the end the fact the pen was saved and he scored the rebound. The way Weaver kept us in the shoot out twice and then went on to score the winner. Doesn't matter if it was Chesterfield or Chelsea it was a cracking game of footy and we won and I bet most Owls left on a high, and that's what it's all about. Enjoy the highs and whinge about the lows. I don't know why some of you even watch football TBH you don' t seem to enjoy a second of it. :biggrin:

Edited by Donny__Owl

I thinks it's funny how some people think they can do a better job. I also remember some people moaning when we beat Hartlepool 5 - 0 away. n Paul sturrocks tactics are similar to Alans, except we play three up front when attacking .

I don't get it. I thought we looked okay going forward, just poor at the back.

We created LOADS of chances.

Some people just like moaning

this was the worst defensive performance i have ever seen in 33 yrs of watching wednesday.

The tactics and lack of basic defensive ability is very much down to the manager, who works with them all week? who picks the side? the mistakes we make week in week out i would be unhappy if it was happening in a u10's side let alone a proffesional football club paying out millions in wages every yr!!!!!!!

We back of players and give them so much space and then on top of all this we dont/cant even defend the crosses that come from this!!!!!

Wtf are we doing in training all week? are they just practising shuttle runs????

Got to remember the players we've got are a mixture between good and poor but mostly average. We had a terrible season last year for a variety of reason there's no point in going over again! We got rid of a few with bad attitudes and added what we could given we've got feck all money. What do we expect? I don't get how we say crap like "we should be turning teams over" or "should be dominating teams" in one thread and in another stating the individual players (we expect to do this) are crap!!! You can't have it both ways they're either crap or good enough to play like you expect. The reality is somewhere in between. Hopefully things will get better as the players new and old are now getting used to each other and now our best player, Miller is fit and JJ looks set to return. Winning in the way we did has got to be a boost for team spirit.

Today was a classic cup tie, surely you can't fail to have been entertained? Have people forgotten what footy's all about? flipping hell if you were gonna write a script about an exciting cup tie this would've been it surely. It's like watching an average movie with a brilliant twist at the end. The timing of our equalizer at the end the fact the pen was saved and he scored the rebound. The way Weaver kept us in the shoot out twice and then went on to score the winner. Doesn't matter if it was Chesterfield or Chelsea it was a cracking game of footy and we won and I bet most Owls left on a high, and that's what it's all about. Enjoy the highs and whinge about the lows. I don't know why some of you even watch football TBH you don' t seem to enjoy a second of it. :biggrin:

Our gates are below budget that is due to the dire football that is being served up by our manager Alan Irvine. For me this is the primary reason why we should ALL be concerned and not brush it under the carpet when we fluke a win or like tonight win by a lottery.