Why do you support Wednesday

There's a lot of psychology behind this question, people like to hear from like minded people.

With sounding like a pedantic git I'm Wednesday because I'm Wednesday, one day that big blue and white cloud sweeps overs, it's how the loyalty and faith is maintained that shows real fans.

You know what, though all the absolute pile of sh*t we've put up with I take great f*cking pride in being Wednesday....

This weekend has restored my faith 5,000 Wednesday fans travelling to a game against Notts County.

Read that pile of rubbish again, that's 5,000 and it would be more if tickets allowed it. We're in the bottom half of league one and this level of support is still there...who else could do that?

Against Cardiff last season, the noise from Wednesday was awesome, even after they scored and we were practically relegated...Who else can do that?

I'm Wednesday because I'm Wednesday....It these sort of things that happen that restores any sort of faith or belief.

F*cking believe, it's not hard and it's not difficult, and the board need to go too....

1.Started going with mates from school in the late 70's, first game was a classic 0-0 v Swansea.

2.Boxing day massacre got me hooked.

3.My dad was at a united game when i was born , guess i have felt cheated ever since!

Not that posh I'm afraid. Loads of em on here though.

Colley Comp (no longer exists) - Parsons Cross.

Hardly surprising, even in the early - mid 70's (my time at Abbeydale) the Wednesday fans outnumbered the Blades by about 2-1.

In many respects it was my favourite time following Wednesday, no expectations (we really were crap - hmm sounds familiar!) and I suppose we had a bit of a chip on our shoulder. We were the big club on hard times and everyone in the old third division were desperate to beat us (most of them did!), but somehow we felt that although it was us against the world and we knew that someday our time would come again probably because we knew that in Bert McGee we had a chairman who was going to do or die.

Still remember the night I knew we had turned the corner. It was Oct 77, we had just beaten Chessy 1-0 with Ken Knighton as caretaker manager (Ashurst had been sacked earlier in the week - in those days Wednesday didn't mess about) and Jack Charlton was in the North Stand and we all knew it. Watched him stroll across the pitch and got the bus back to Nether Edge as fast as I could. Spent the next hour or so glued to the radio and then about 7:00pm the news came through that he was our new manager. I let out such a big yell I nearly scared my mum and dad to death, just couldn't contain myself!

Yes the football in those days may have been dire, but the memories were priceless and will live with me forever. One thing is for sure, it made the success that followed that much sweeter! In many respects, they were the happiest days of my life! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

My dad's name is Peter Johnson so when he was at school in the 1960/61 season sees his name in the paper & thinks Im going to support them! That was it I was born into it & would make regular trips to games home & away from the lakes where we lived. I wouldnt change a thing through the highs & lows. Remember walking into school on the 22nd April 91 being the only wednesdayite at school, happy days. Specially coming from an area which is full of plastic mancs & scoucers.

Wouldnt of minded making the trip down to Notts county today which i would of done if was back home.

Please win today boys! UTO.

Be interesting to see how many people actually have a choice over supporting Wednesday.

We aint a distinguished club (last 20 years anyhow), so we don't get the glory hunters, who have no deep emotion for their club, they just enjoy gloating in their expensive branded gear. They don't experience the highs and lows as such.

We also don't have the foreign contingent with the 10 mega pixels and flashes. We have no "merchandising tools".

We have pure Sheffield Wednesday fans. People born and bred into the club, into the ethos.

Thus we have an absolutely staggering away following / support, regardless of the current clime.

Most people don't choose Wednesday, it is second nature. I probably speak for many, but dads / grandads take us before we have logical choice. Ingrained from a young age and we get the bug so to speak from those first few matches...... then it's Wednesday til we die !!

Be interesting to see how many people actually have a choice over supporting Wednesday.

We aint a distinguished club (last 20 years anyhow), so we don't get the glory hunters, who have no deep emotion for their club, they just enjoy gloating in their expensive branded gear. They don't experience the highs and lows as such.

We also don't have the foreign contingent with the 10 mega pixels and flashes. We have no "merchandising tools".

We have pure Sheffield Wednesday fans. People born and bred into the club, into the ethos.

Thus we have an absolutely staggering away following / support, regardless of the current clime.

Most people don't choose Wednesday, it is second nature. I probably speak for many, but dads / grandads take us before we have logical choice. Ingrained from a young age and we get the bug so to speak from those first few matches...... then it's Wednesday til we die !!

Great post Glaser, above all else it's because we are proper fans!

I have to be honest as well , when you have an unusual name like ours it all adds to the romance. Of United's City's, Town's, Wanderer's and Rover's there are many, but there is only one Wednesday! :cool:

...you know in 'Close Encounters..' when all these disparate folk start doing weird stuff just so they can build/draw/create a flat topped mountain...well, that's the same with us. We're chosen. We just havn't been told why or wherefore yet, we're all around the world and one day we'll get into a Blue and White Wednesday Ship and reach the stars...

to be honest that's not so true.

we were in portugal for euro2004 and bumped into a couple of wednesday fans from Hull. they were wednesday through and through and followed us everywhere but only because at the time (early 90's) we were top dogs.

strangely enough we bumped into them 2 years later in Cardiff at the playoff final.

Guest barrowowl

My family are all Scouse proper Scottie Road..i went to the 1974 FA Cup Final (Alec Lindsay the greatest goal that never was) and used to go on the Kop (my Cousin still has a season ticket....my other cousin emigrated to Australia after Heysel & Hillsborough) we moved to Sheffield about 1975 me Dad used to take me on the Shoreham to watch Bell,Best Charlton keegan, woodward currie an co in front of 30,000...i never felt a thing......he took me to watch Wednesday V Millwall c1975/76 I walked across the Don into the Cant and looked at the East Bank that was it......and my proudest moment is my sons face at The Millenium.

Right i'm off to read the rest of these posts We Are All Wednesday!

Guest barrowowl

No family or friend ties in Sheffield what so ever. I have no links with the city.

Originally born in Rugby, but now living in York.

But when I was 7, I met Kevin Pressman on holiday and it started from there.

Brilliant..I went to school with his older brother Howard...he was a nob...went on radio as I recall....Kevin Pressman however is a great bloke

Guest barrowowl

First watching Wednesday on the kop when it was still standing 21 years ago, this is possibly the worse i have witnessed on and off the field.

Do you watch Monkey Dust by any chance?