Why do you support Wednesday

1966 cup final, mates at the time and fact that at a month short of my 7th birthday I didn't know any better!

In all fairness despite the poor football fare served up over the years they have given me far more good times than bad times,not just in terms of the football, but camaraderie, life experiences etc. It is way too deeply ingrained in my psyche now for me to ever change, not that I would even want to. For me Wednesday isn't just following a football team, I'm obsessed, I think about them all the time, sometimes I even dream about them! It's a way of life and I'm proud of it.

Moved to Rovrum about the week of the Wembley semi. My family aren't big football fans (although my Dad is nominally Everton). I started primary school that September, all the people in the class I liked were Owls, all the scrubbers were pigs. So i just drifted into becoming an owl.

I both love and hate the club.

Love being on a full Kop singing and shouting away.

But hate the pain it causes.

I must have become a fan at the very worse time possible, I have seen nothing but downhill. Even the one successful season in league one and I managed to only see defeats.

After all that though, if I could go back to 1993 and advise my four year old self who to support.............

I'd say Wednesday

Guest gringo69

When I was just a little boy, I asked my Mother which club for me,

Should it be Barnsley, should it be Leeds, here's what she said to me....

Wash your mouth out Son, and get your Fathers gun, then shoot some pig fan scum,

Its the Owls for you................................... :Dark tounge: :tongue: :Dark rolleyes: :biggrin:

1966 cup final, mates at the time and fact that at a month short of my 7th birthday I didn't know any better!

Same here. My father took me down to Hillsborough the next day to cheer them home.

Live with me forever.

Born May 1959.

Played in all white. Still best away kit ever IMO.

Still got the next door neighbours programme.

Long story which I will keep short as possible so as not to wreck your evenings.

I was born in Bolton and all my family are Bolton Wanderers fans, however before I started going to watch football we moved to Scarborough where I started to go and watch them. Sadly they are no longer around these days unless you count the new club formed out of the demise of the old club - Scarborough Athletic.

In my first job while still living in Scarborough I had a friend from Sheffield who was a Sheffield United fan who persuaded to go and watch them, so I watched a couple of games from the kop at Bramall lane :ph34r:

The next thing that happened was I thought to myself, always liked the name Sheffield Wednesday so I will get tickets and go and watch them. The first game was early December in 1990 IIRC and it was against Notts County when due to a wee wee tail up with there shirts we wore our yellow away top. Within 20mins I knew that Sheffield Wednesday would be the team I would love forever, so after that match I got club membership and tickets to the next home fixture against Ipswich.

At this time other than the lad I had worked with I knew nobody from Sheffield at all until 10 years later......

....I was living in back home in Bolton by then and one night on the Rollercoaster Club of Great Britain forum I bumped into a woman who lived down in Southampton who was originally from Sheffield and was a Wednesday fan as was all her family.

So present day that same woman now lives up in Bolton with me and is my wife.

I guess when you look at all that (if you are still awake :biggrin: ) I was always fated to support Sheffield Wednesday.

Ok we may not be the greatest team, we may be in a crappy league and we may be a farce of a club but we are Sheffield Wednesday and I love the club with a passion that can never die.

WTID, UTO

1. My Dad took me to see them when I was younger - first game I ever went to and it got me hooked.

2. When I first got married we lived very close to the ground and it was wonderful on home match days to just walk down the road and be there.

3. I have had some amazing days out following Wednesday. Best football day of my life was going to Cardiff. What an atmosphere, what a crowd!

4. Still get a buzz when I walk up the steps onto the Cop on match days and look out over our amazing stadium.

Long story which I will keep short as possible so as not to wreck your evenings.

I was born in Bolton and all my family are Bolton Wanderers fans, however before I started going to watch football we moved to Scarborough where I started to go and watch them. Sadly they are no longer around these days unless you count the new club formed out of the demise of the old club - Scarborough Athletic.

In my first job while still living in Scarborough I had a friend from Sheffield who was a Sheffield United fan who persuaded to go and watch them, so I watched a couple of games from the kop at Bramall lane :ph34r:

The next thing that happened was I thought to myself, always liked the name Sheffield Wednesday so I will get tickets and go and watch them. The first game was early December in 1990 IIRC and it was against Notts County when due to a wee wee tail up with there shirts we wore our yellow away top. Within 20mins I knew that Sheffield Wednesday would be the team I would love forever, so after that match I got club membership and tickets to the next home fixture against Ipswich.

At this time other than the lad I had worked with I knew nobody from Sheffield at all until 10 years later......

....I was living in back home in Bolton by then and one night on the Rollercoaster Club of Great Britain forum I bumped into a woman who lived down in Southampton who was originally from Sheffield and was a Wednesday fan as was all her family.

So present day that same woman now lives up in Bolton with me and is my wife.

I guess when you look at all that (if you are still awake :biggrin: ) I was always fated to support Sheffield Wednesday.

Ok we may not be the greatest team, we may be in a crappy league and we may be a farce of a club but we are Sheffield Wednesday and I love the club with a passion that can never die.

WTID, UTO

Sorry about that mate.

Same here. My father took me down to Hillsborough the next day to cheer them home.

Live with me forever.

Born May 1959.

Played in all white. Still best away kit ever IMO.

Still got the next door neighbours programme.

That makes you just a few days or weeks older than me then. June 1st. Not ex-Abbeydale Grange by any chance?

I was thrown into a wall when I was a baby and cut long story short I was paralysed on my right side and had tones other stuff wrong with us do to my parents doing this and basically when I was adopted my brother use to while I was in the bath raise my hands in the air and go WEDNESDAY!!!. This was part of my physiotherapy but this was still when I was a baby that was 33 yrs ago.

great story. great physio

some really great stories here.

I have mostly felt that Oxfordshire is a bit of football wasteland. I do have a lot of respect for Oxford Utd supporters. They did have their season(s) in the sun but they are really destined to remain one of the small clubs. But to their supporters that doesn't matter. Oxford are their team and always will be. Good on'em.

What i don't like is the large number of Arsenal/Chelsea/Liverpool/Man U supporters you get round here. "What part of London/Liverpool/Manchester do you come from? Eh? no I'm from Oxford. Yes, any one can pick a big successful club to support. It's not big, it's not clever and it's not what supporting a football team is all about.

Now I can see from posts here and from people I have met, location is not necessarily important. There has to be a connection. I am not so blind as to think people far and wide choose Wednesday because we are a big successful club. I can relate to people who support a club because they feel something. People from all around the world can support Wednesday if they feel something. I am just a bit more cynical when people support he big four (or the like) with no connection.

I have had plenty of friends who were OU supporters and they felt about Oxford as I/we do about Wednesday. I went to a number of matches with them. I even tried to make Oxford my second team. I even travelled up to Sheffield to support them against the blunts once, lol.A cheap trip home :-) But trying to support another team just doesn't work. You just don't feel the same way. You can be pleased at a certain result, but it doesn't matter unless it is the team you support.

It is a bit like thinking what it would be like to be a different nationality. You might see various advantages or disadvantages of being a different nationality but the point is moot because you are what you are.

I am Wednesday, you are Wednesday, we are Wednesday. That's it. End of story.

WTID

1. Family member use to play for the owls (quite well known)

2. Grew up near the ground and could hear the roar, every time we scored (how times have changed :blush: )

3. Like your first girlfriend, their just something special about supporting the club.

4. Would feel mucky and down right filthy to support another team. Although ........ supporting Sheffield FC would be like going out with your girlfriends little sister :biggrin: