Why do you support Wednesday

My family moved to Sheffield when I was 9. Up until then our family had no interest in football. My father was from Glasgow and nominally supported Queen's Park and very occasionally went to Huddersfield Town matches. On my first day at school I got cornered in the bogs by a group of lads who demanded "Wednesday or United?". I took it that 'neither' was not an option. Because we drove past Hillsborough, and it impressed me greatly, week in week out while we were house hunting, the obvious answer was "Wednesday". I have never regretted it.

WTID

At the age of 5 some 58 years ago my dad took me to hillsborough. He stood me at the front of the kop just to one side of the goal, during the warm up a wednesday forward shot at goal and missed (nowt new).

The ball hit me smack in the kite knocking all the sense out of me, hence I have been supporting them ever since. ever since

At the age of 5 some 58 years ago my dad took me to hillsborough. He stood me at the front of the kop just to one side of the goal, during the warm up a wednesday forward shot at goal and missed (nowt new).

The ball hit me smack in the kite knocking all the sense out of me, hence I have been supporting them ever since. ever since

laugh.gif

Guest andyofsheffield

One of my earliest memories is my dad holding me whilst I was sitting on the bars in the kop when it was all standing, I must of only been about 3. And I have been going ever since. Apart from my Parents, Wednesday have been the biggest constant in my life and I wouldn't want it any other way. And this will be the same for any kids I have. Up the Owls!!

My dad used to take me all around Yorkshire to watch matches (except Bramhall Lane) but mainly to Donny Rovers. Once I was old enough to travel on the trains on my own (around 12 ish) I was set on Wednesday so I have no-one else to blame but myself.

20 odd years later and despite all the current crap I wouldn't change being an Owl for anything.

Because as a young boy (5-6 years old) it seemed the right thing to do.

In doing so I turned my back on generations of Un*t*dites on my Dad's side of the family, not to mention Un*t*d influences on my Mum's side.

Apart from not being able to enjoy supporting the same team as my Dad I have never regretted it and never will.

And, as I like to think, as a consequence of my actions ever subsequent child born into my family have become Wednesdayites.

My dad and uncle used to take me in the early 80s. We used to stand in the triangle on the old kop.

Has anyone got any pics of the old uncovered kop?

Please tell me why you support Wednesday

At the age of 5 my mates Dad took me and it was amazing - plus all the kids who supported Utd in my school were scrubbers and I didn't want to be a scrubber!

Because despite all the bad times, despite all the poo defeats at Stockport and Port Vale etc.... I dont care whether you support Man Utd Liverpool or L**ds there aint nothing like the sound of thousands of Wednesdayites in full voice to give you that lump in your throat and get the hairs on the back of ya neck standing up!

I was thrown into a wall when I was a baby and cut long story short I was paralysed on my right side and had tones other stuff wrong with us do to my parents doing this and basically when I was adopted my brother use to while I was in the bath raise my hands in the air and go WEDNESDAY!!!. This was part of my physiotherapy but this was still when I was a baby that was 33 yrs ago.

From Ponte Carlo (Pontefract) originally and a few lads I used to know went to watch Wednesday, I asked if I could tag along and that was it hooked. That was in 1986 (1st game Leicester @ Home 2-2 Shutt x 2 I think) and bar a few years in the early 90's it's been a right barrel of laughs ever since :laugh:

Guest Dalians shot

Because all these bad days make the better days more spectacular

Also because it is in my blood and always will be, whatever happens in the future.

Even if we dont wee wee THE League :biggrin: