Australian Owls

How many of us are there?I came here in 1982 for a 12 month working holiday, I'm still working and still on holiday it seems.I live on the Sunshine Coast of Queensland, I will return to England in November for the first time since we lost to Arse in 1993, one of the games I will be attending is the Sheffield derby, I hope the result isn't the same.There are a few codes of 'Football' out here, two being Australian Rules and The National Rugby League, I follow Collingwood in the Aussie Rules (never a dull moment there)and Parramatta in the League (currently Minor Premiers) but my major passion and allegiance lay with The Owls :bigemo_harabe_net-146: , let us hope the season gets better from here! :bigemo_harabe_net-64:

My family emigrated to Oz in 1988. I grew up in Dronfield and was an OWLS supporter from birth, (or so my parents tell me).There are heaps of English people in the area where we live, on the outskirts of Sydney, but so far we havn't run into any other OWLS.My step father still gets up in the early hours of the morning to watch English soccer on PAY T.V and insists that any men in my life adopt our ways and go for Wednesday!We ventured to the US for a family holiday many years ago and while waiting for a ride in Disneyland bumped into someone wearing a Wednesday shirt! Unbelievable, we are everywhere !I still get scarves and other Wednesday merchandise sent over by my family and wear it with pride.

Owls in Oz had a decent following around 10 years back. My folks immigrated from Sheffield in the early 70's, so I was also born an Owl. My folks are in Adelaide, there used to be about 10 or so Wednesdayites there who would meet up every now and again.

Owls in Oz had a decent following around 10 years back. My folks immigrated from Sheffield in the early 70's, so I was also born an Owl. My folks are in Adelaide, there used to be about 10 or so Wednesdayites there who would meet up every now and again.

I'm going to Oz and would want to watch the Wednesday - Brighton match on Sky. Where could this be possible. I'll be in Melbourne.

Guest Infamouszigg

My family emigrated to Oz in 1988. I grew up in Dronfield and was an OWLS supporter from birth, (or so my parents tell me).There are heaps of English people in the area where we live, on the outskirts of Sydney, but so far we havn't run into any other OWLS.My step father still gets up in the early hours of the morning to watch English soccer on PAY T.V and insists that any men in my life adopt our ways and go for Wednesday!We ventured to the US for a family holiday many years ago and while waiting for a ride in Disneyland bumped into someone wearing a Wednesday shirt! Unbelievable, we are everywhere !I still get scarves and other Wednesday merchandise sent over by my family and wear it with pride.

You've been over there a wee while then.Interesting that your another exiled Owl from Dronfield, all be it some what further a field. :bigemo_harabe_net-92:

Guest Gnomestar

Hello!Im new and australian.. over here in the west!! Been an owls fan since birth but havnt followed them that much as of late due to my inability to watch games!!! I was born in australia but my family on my fathers side are from sheffield!!!Awesome!!

Guest Fred14

Hello!

Im new and australian.. over here in the west!! Been an owls fan since birth but havnt followed them that much as of late due to my inability to watch games!!! I was born in australia but my family on my fathers side are from sheffield!!!

Awesome!!

Guest Fred14

I am convinced there are more than 5 Owls in Aus!

There certainly are, but we've adopted a pretty low profile recently due to results (both ours & "theirs") going against us. Most folk here who weren't already committed when they got here support Man U/Arsenal/Liverpool. My wife is from Liverpool & my son supports them, my daughter Chelsea - where have I gone wrong!!I arrived in 1971, been an Owl for as long as I can remember, starting in the infamous 'yo-yo' years (which look pretty good now!). Like a few others I was living in Dronfield when I emigrated, but not 'born & bred'.We had an Owls-in-Oz society going some time back, with members in every State, and I do come across the occasional Wednesdayite.Glad to see we're safe for this season, but need to find a goalscorer if we want to avoid similar dramas next season - a fit MacLean would be a big boost.Whilst I think PS has done a top job, his ability to 'spot' and then sign strikers who have simply no idea in front of goal is incredible. But I suppose there aren't many Kenwynne's around.Here's to next season, and a sound base for stepping up to EPL shortly after.Just think, I'll have to watch United (& listen to Warnock) every week next season when watching the highlights show - what a prospect!Fred14

My uncle emigrated to Oz in the 60's, the only time that hes been back to England was for the 66 world cup, we used to send him the green un until he got the internet. He lives in Wauchope New south wales.

burncross, what is your uncles name, going to be in that area shortly?

On 05/09/2005 at 20:36, OzOwl said:

How many of us are there?I came here in 1982 for a 12 month working holiday, I'm still working and still on holiday it seems.I live on the Sunshine Coast of Queensland, I will return to England in November for the first time since we lost to Arse in 1993, one of the games I will be attending is the Sheffield derby, I hope the result isn't the same.There are a few codes of 'Football' out here, two being Australian Rules and The National Rugby League, I follow Collingwood in the Aussie Rules (never a dull moment there)and Parramatta in the League (currently Minor Premiers) but my major passion and allegiance lay with The Owls :bigemo_harabe_net-146: , let us hope the season gets better from here! :bigemo_harabe_net-64:

Not sure mate, Ashes will be ours next week though.

• Haha 1

On 06/09/2005 at 05:36, OzOwl said:

I got up to watch the replay, was living in Cairns and my old Grandad was an Arsenal fan, having grown up in Woolwich. I'd never heard of SWFC but follow North Melbourne so was lured by the blue and white stripes. And, I was farkin dirty that Linighan scored, w@nker. I moved the other way a few months later, and left when we were relegated from the PL. I'm not sure if it was my fault, but sometimes I think it 😄 

I watched Wednesday win the 1991 league Cup in a backpackers in Cairns. When Sheridan scored there were only 2 people shouting, one was me and the other was my German girlfriend who I'd just accidentally smacked in the face. Best stay clear of Cairns.