Player ratings and match thoughts

To be fair the ball came in high and fast with no spin on it - he was lucky to even get his head on it.

Really? To be fair, I was right down at the other end, so probably not a good angle for it. Fair dos, just hope he bags a few agaisnt colchester!

I said it on the day we signed him, Otsemobor can't defend for poo poo.

It doesn't mean he won't be useful on occasion, but essentially his job is to defend, and he can't.

Having watched him regularly for the best part of 3 years now- he didn't have a 'mare' today- he had his usual game, which consists of brief promise going forward, coupled with horrifically bad defending.

It says it all that Norwich City replaced him with Russell Martin, a player who is probably not even as good as Buxton IMO.

Potter was better than usual, but that's only because he's usually woefully ineffective and contributes absolutely nothing to the team. He made a couple of forward passes (!) and a decent tackle or two. But he was alongside an 18/19 year old kid, he should've looked like Michel rumbleing Platini by comparison but instead he was equally as poor as (the massively inexperienced) Liam Palmer. He can't even look good against League Two teams, awful player.

And once again no it's not a witch hunt, he's not a scapegoat, he's just not being a good central midfielder for us despite playing in pretty much every single match since he signed.

I'd agree that Morrisons miss was harder than it looked. Didn't look like an easy cross to control. Great run by Spurr though. Potter was nowhere near excellent tonight (i'd have given him a 6/10) but passed very well in patches when he was given oceans of space. I'd happily keep the same midfield as saturday for this weekend.

Tell me, why do you think he feels the need to fire impossible to control passes at his team mates? And why do we never see him play a defence splitting pass?

And why does he go into tackles like a dithering pensioner?

Your defence of him is laughable mate!

It isn't a defense.

He passed well tonight, especially in the second half. But did little else. Simples.

Also what did everyone think to the foul on Mellor when he was through? Bury player was lucky not to go for that.

Edited by Owls2k

criticism of Palmer harsh imo he seemed nervous but he would be. I have absolute confidence that he'll make a decent progressive midfielder.

Whereas Potter was woeful as people commented completes lots of aimless sideways passes seem scare dto attempt th send a pass down the channels it's simply not in his game -whoever that was that gave him an 8 must be related.

Mellor needs games and a diet imo Leon Clarke got massive abuse for less girth. Ostembor? oh deary me!!

Pleased with Coke, teale in flashes and Morrison for attitude . Hopefully Weaver hasn't used his season's one on one luck up in this match -seems to want to beat balls back into play instead of catching them but for me MoM

Bury were allowed to play the ball around well and to an outsider probably looked the higher division team playing at home. On one occasion I counted 10 passes before we attempted a challenge - unacceptable space given to them , that they used well.

All in all a disturbing match that makes you fear for the season. I can hardly ever remember being so embarrassed to watch us somehow win a match we could and perhaps should have lost by 3/4 clear goals- I counted they had 10 chances some easier to score than miss + several shots wide -we had 3 inc of the Tommy free kick +a Mellor drive over the top

A clueless, disjointed and frankly pathetic display that had me clapping the opposition off the pitch as did most of the south stand I don't remember doing that too many times either.

There's no need to panic yet but this lot had better gel quickly or we are going to get a hiding .

Edited by steelowl

Guest James-The-Owl

Weaver - 8 - Kept us in the game with a string of good saves, wish he'd hold on to more though and instead of dilly-dallying around with backpasses jus boot the fvcker!!

Otsemobor - 5 - His positional awareness was woeful, couple of ok runs.

Beevers - 8 - Solid.

Purse - 9 - Solid, MoM.

Spurr - 7 - Played well tonight.

Teale - 7 - Some good, tricky runs at the full-back, also covered for Otsemobor on a couple of occasions.

Potter - 4 - Crap.

Palmer - 6 - Promising competitive debut, enthusiasm in abundence.

Jones - 5 - I think Daniel is a good player bit he was disappointing tonight. Good delivery from corners though.

Heffernan - 5 - Did nothing, no service.

Mellor - 5 - Looks unfit.

Coke - 8 - Very well taken goal.

Morrison - 7 - Another good shift and could've easily got on the scoresheet.

O'Connor - 6 - Meh.

Weaver - 8 - Kept us in the game especially when we nearly scored an own goal. Has a problem with parrying into the danger zone like when they scored the disallowed goal

Otsemobor - 5 - Good going forward, hit some good crosses but not comfortable defending..

Beevers - 8 - Solid and improving all the time.

Purse - 9 - Solid, MoM. This man is a rock.

Spurr - 7 - Needs to be more decisive and not let the ball bounce when defending. Going forward he is excellent and some of his crosses are great.

Teale - 7 - Good going forward with good delivery and also tracked back. His argument with Morrison makes me think he is up for it and actually cares.

Potter - 4 - Very poor. I made a point to watch his night and he is so reluctant to make attacking passes or stride forward. Has natural talent but fails to apply it.

Palmer - 6 - Promising competitive debut, and could develop well. Easily as good as Potter already.

Jones - 5 - Not his best night.

Heffernan - 5 - No service.

Mellor - 4 - Looks unfit and loses the ball to easily.

Coke - 8 - Works hard and seeing as he is only half fit, can only improve. Great goal.

Morrison - 7 - His attitude is great and he talks to the other players alot.

O'Connor - 7 - Good player who disrupts the other team when they attack. Fills in a gap between midfield and defence that Potter/Palmer were leaving open.

I may be on the wrong page for this comment. But did we not enlarge our pitch so that we could use pace and width? If that was the reason then Bury must have a very big pitch cus they played ours a damned sight better than we did. Oh and by the way, although Potter was perhaps a bit better than Palmer (and I mean a bit) Shouldn't we expect him to be? Give the lad a chance eh?