Player ratings and match thoughts

Weaver - 7 (made a couple of top draw reflex rates), Otsemobor - 5 (if he's a defender my nan's a Dutchman, lost every header, and let his marker go all night), Purse - 8 (man of match again, rock solid), Beevers - 6, Spurr - 6, Teale - 7 (much improved, brilliant to see a winger take his man on), Palmer - 6 (made a few mistakes but at least he wasn't afraid to try moving forward, unlike his midfield partner), Potter - 5 (useless crab), Jones - 5 (good corners but ineffective), Heffernan - 5, Mellor - 6

a wins a win, whoever it comes against and however we get it.

Ill take rubbish wins for the first 6/8 games while we gel and get used to the style of play.

Looking at the other results, it could have been much, much worse...

And I agree with your ratings Kivo apart from I'd give Spurr a 7. I'm as far as you can get from being a Spurr fan but he was solid defensively, won most of his headers, got forward well and hit a cracking free kick that bounced down off the bar onto the line.

And although Purse was once again a monster at the back he also made two mistakes that nearly cost us goals both times.

Otsemobor - 5 (if he's a defender my nan's a Dutchman)

Would your Nan by any chance be wee pipe Nanninga?

(from Wikipedia)

Dirk "wee pipe" Jacobus Willem Nanninga (born 17 January 1949 in Groningen) is a former Dutch footballer, who played for the Dutch clubs BV Veendam, Roda JC and MVV Maastricht. He also had a short spell with Hong Kong club Seiko.

Nanninga earned 15 caps and scored 6 goals for the Netherlands national football team.[1] In the 1978 FIFA World Cup final, he scored the equalizing goal against Argentina in normal time; however, Argentina went on to win 3-1 in extra time.

In the same World Cup, Nanninga became the first substitute player to be sent off, 7 minutes after coming on against West Germany. He and Holzenbein clashed as the Dutch took a free kick, Nanninga was shown the yellow card. He was then reported to have laughed at the referee's decision. Confusion reigned, as he was ordered off.

He is Roda JC's all time topscorer having scored 107 goals in 225 matches for the Kerkrade-based club.

Edited by kernowl

Guest swfc60

Weaver - 7 - Good saves, slowest man on earth?

Otsemobor - 5 - Decent going forward, very dodgy defensively

Purse - 8

Beevers - 6

Spurr - 7

Teale - 7

Potter - 5

Palmer - 6

Jones - 6

Heffernan - 6

Mellor - 6

Coke - 8

Morrison - 7

O'Connor - 6

Poor performance barring Purse and Teale, Coke looks a very good find...

Guest owls_4_life

Weaver - 7 - made key saves and kept us in the game

Spurr - 6 - Much better than Saturday I thought but his one footedness is annoying!

Purse - 8 - Outstanding again and distribution better than Saturday

Beevers 7 - Thought he played really well tonight

Otsemoboor - 5 - Looked shakey and some silly/risky passes

Teale - 6 Good runs and can beat a man

Potter - 5 awful first half, very defensive passing for a playmaker but when he did pass forward they were really good passes. Made some good tackles towards the end.

Palmer - 4 - Nowhere near as good as pre-season. Passes backwards more than Potter. Gave ball away. Might have messed his chance up.

Jones - 4- Very poor. Was too central made us very narrow. Didn't win a header. Hope he improves because I like him. Good corners.

Mellor - 5 - Not much service but often fluffed it when he did receive a pass. Gets knocked off the ball easily for such a big man. Fell over a lot.

Heffernan - 5 - No service to him whatsoever.

Coke - 7 - Apart from the goal didn't see much of him but stood up and made it count when it was needed.

Morrison - 6 - Missed an open net! But looked well up for it, worked hard, fought for the ball and didn't get much service. Had a go at Potter a few times.

JoC - 5 - not on for long but midfield was no stronger with him in it.

Overall - awful match. First half is not even worth mentioning. Negative tactics, backward passing, passes not reaching players, players out of position. Could go on. Bury should have had 2 at least by half time.

Second half first 10 minutes we were much better but still thought 2nd half overall was poor too.

Bury should have won. I'd like to say we played bad and still won so that's good but we were so lucky it's unreal. They hit the crossbar and Weaver had to pull off an immense save to stop an own goal. If we play like that on Saturday we'll lose 3-0 at least.

Guest pembo55

Weaver - 7 - Good saves tonight

Otsemobor - 5 - Decent going forward, but defense lacking

Purse - 8 solid tonight

Beevers - 7 solid too

Spurr - 8 tonight showed what he can do mom

Teale - 7 very good but late on shows his age

Potter - 5 what to say hmmm crap

Palmer - 6 promising player should be good to watch in future

Jones - 5 awful moves infield way to much and dosnt break at all was hoping for way more hope its a one off

Heffernan - 6 not in game

Mellor - 6 booting ball for him to Chase isn't how to play him

Coke - 8 fantastic going to be great player for us

Morrison - 7 scares defenders good job tonight

O'Connor - 6 nothing of note

Guest andyofsheffield

Weaver - 7 Confident performance, but I wouldn't want any less from him

Otsemobor - 5 Didn't do too bad, but there was a couple of 10 yard passes going stray

Spurr - 7 Comfortable performance with some good passing

Purse - 7 Solid but didn't do anything above and beyond to what he should be doing every week

Beevers - 7 Same as Purse

Teale - 8 Excellent movement

Potter - 6 He had a game of 2 halves.

Palmer - 7 Very confident taking the ball down the middle, one to watch!

Jones - 5 Not much to say, took a good corner

Heffernan - 6 Couldn't get a foot into the game, but not for lack of trying

Mellor - 7 Did the best of a series of poor balls sent up to him and applied some decent pressure

Coke - 8 My man of the match, changed the game for us for the sort period we played well. Tidy finisher

Morrison - 6 Missed a sitter on the back post. Will be more clinical once he's match fit.

O'Connor - 5 Didn't really contribute tonight

Guest Sheff Owl

Why does Potter need 7 touches of the ball before passing it?

We seemed to attack quite quick sometimes yet when the ball went to Potter he slowed it down.

Weaver - 7 - made key saves and kept us in the game

Spurr - 6 - Much better than Saturday I thought but his one footedness is annoying!

Purse - 8 - Outstanding again and distribution better than Saturday

Beevers 7 - Thought he played really well tonight

Otsemoboor - 5 - Looked shakey and some silly/risky passes

Teale - 6 Good runs and can beat a man

Potter - 5 awful first half, very defensive passing for a playmaker but when he did pass forward they were really good passes. Made some good tackles towards the end.

Palmer - 4 - Nowhere near as good as pre-season. Passes backwards more than Potter. Gave ball away. Might have messed his chance up.

Jones - 4- Very poor. Was too central made us very narrow. Didn't win a header. Hope he improves because I like him. Good corners.

Mellor - 5 - Not much service but often fluffed it when he did receive a pass. Gets knocked off the ball easily for such a big man. Fell over a lot.

Heffernan - 5 - No service to him whatsoever.

Coke - 7 - Apart from the goal didn't see much of him but stood up and made it count when it was needed.

Morrison - 6 - Missed an open net! But looked well up for it, worked hard, fought for the ball and didn't get much service. Had a go at Potter a few times.

JoC - 5 - not on for long but midfield was no stronger with him in it.

Overall - awful match. First half is not even worth mentioning. Negative tactics, backward passing, passes not reaching players, players out of position. Could go on. Bury should have had 2 at least by half time.

Second half first 10 minutes we were much better but still thought 2nd half overall was poor too.

Bury should have won. I'd like to say we played bad and still won so that's good but we were so lucky it's unreal. They hit the crossbar and Weaver had to pull off an immense save to stop an own goal. If we play like that on Saturday we'll lose 3-0 at least.

I'd agree with most of that.

Although i'd swap the scores of Purse and Teale, Purse nearly dropped us in it with that awful 'pass' in the first half.

Teale worked tirelessly.

I though Heffernan did well too, worth a 6 to me.

Palmer was disappointing, didn't step up for me.

Why does Potter need 7 touches of the ball before passing it?

We seemed to attack quite quick sometimes yet when the ball went to Potter he slowed it down.

Potter sprayed some very good passes around today.

But on the whole we don't half attack slow. Its almost at walking pace.

Potter may aswell not have been on the pitch for the first few minutes, he looked so bewildered!