Without a new striker we are down

The performance at Reading aside, we look a half decent outfit under Irvine. Having grown up under Sgt Wilko I don't mind going a bit more direct at times, and our central defenders look more comfortable since he has come in.

None of it will matter though, as with our current strikers at the club we will not score enough goals to stay up.

Some stats under Irvine so far:

We are scoring an average of 1.08 goals per game.

Our strikers in the period Irvine has been manager are scoring (combined) an average of 0.66 goals per game.

It isn't enough. Here is why:

1. Many of the sides we are still to play have hammered us this season - Watford, Derby, Pigs, Boro have all knocked 3 or more past us. The likelihood is we need to score at least once to draw, and at least twice to beat these sides. On current goalscoring form we are on course to score once against these sides -in my opinion not enough to beat them.

2. Our goal difference stinks. Palace have Hart in charge who sets his side up to keep clean sheets so they will finish the season with a better goal difference than us. Our aim has to be to have a better GD than Sflaphorpe - this means, simply, we need to defend as we are doing and score more goals. Our current forwards are incapable of doing this. Unless Scunny get turned over by someone, I think we will end up with a worse goal difference than either Scunny or Palace.

If we carry on as we are under Irvine so far we are down - it is significant that, despite what we would regard as a real improvement under Irvine, we remain in the exact same position in the table as when he took over. The defensive improvement, and overall improvement in performance under Irvine - IS NOT ENOUGH.

Leon Clarke, Marcus Tudgay, Francis Jeffers, Luke Varney - these men are not good enough to score the goals to keep us up. None should be at the club next season.

A striker needs to be brought in with whatever money we can get together. I am opposed to the idea of fans funding this directly but if this is the only way it needs to happen.

Guest totemowl

Clarke has matured an awful lot over the last 18 months and is now almost the striker that we need. He is almost mean enough!

He's got the strength, skill, etc needed at this level. If he turned in the sort of performance he did against Leicester for 90 mins rather than 60 he'd be scoring 15-20 goals a season. Just needs to be more willing to put the opposition to the sword.

Guest bartos

The performance at Reading aside, we look a half decent outfit under Irvine. Having grown up under Sgt Wilko I don't mind going a bit more direct at times, and our central defenders look more comfortable since he has come in.

None of it will matter though, as with our current strikers at the club we will not score enough goals to stay up.

Our strikers in the period Irvine has been manager are scoring (combined) an average of 0.66 goals per game.

1. Many of the sides we are still to play have hammered us this season - Watford, Derby, Pigs, Boro have all knocked 3 or more past us. The likelihood is we need to score at least once to draw, and at least twice to beat these sides. On current goalscoring form we are on course to score once against these sides -in my opinion not enough to beat them.

2. Our goal difference stinks. Palace have Hart in charge who sets his side up to keep clean sheets so they will finish the season with a better goal difference than us. Our aim has to be to have a better GD than Sflaphorpe - this means, simply, we need to defend as we are doing and score more goals. Our current forwards are incapable of doing this. Unless Scunny get turned over by someone, I think we will end up with a worse goal difference than either Scunny or Palace.

If we carry on as we are under Irvine so far we are down - it is significant that, despite what we would regard as a real improvement under Irvine, we remain in the exact same position in the table as when he took over. The defensive improvement, and overall improvement in performance under Irvine - IS NOT ENOUGH.

Leon Clarke, Marcus Tudgay, Francis Jeffers, Luke Varney - these men are not good enough to score the goals to keep us up. None should be at the club next season.

A striker needs to be brought in with whatever money we can get together. I am opposed to the idea of fans funding this directly but if this is the only way it needs to happen.

Was wondering if you could also predict tonights lottery numbers as well?

Can't help feeling that the striking department is where we are going to fall short. Clarke and Varney don't score consistently enough. Tudgay is capable but I don't think even he knows where his next goal is coming from? We can't rely on Jeffers. I do wonder if Irvine might chuck JJ up front in the hope he can score a few goals? This is his best scoring season for Wednesday, so who knows?

So?

Leicester put 3 past us earlier this season, and we beat them comfortably.

For me, midfield has been the weak link most of the season and what I saw on Saturday filled me with optimism, if we can play that midfield until the end of the season I think the strikers will start scoring, as many more chances were created for them on Saturday.

Hope so anyway.

Whilst our strikers aren't particularly prolific, between them their individual strike rates aren't all that bad (apart from Jeffers anyway).

And I think it's being rather selective to overlook our lamentable defensive statistics too.

Fair enough but I think defensively in the main we've been much better since Irvine took charge. Purse in particular looks a different player.

Whilst our strikers aren't particularly prolific, between them their individual strike rates aren't all that bad (apart from Jeffers anyway).

And I think it's being rather selective to overlook our lamentable defensive statistics too.

DJ - Reading aside we have defended well, and are much improved. We are not going to be a Swansea and keep a dozen clean sheets from here on in but our defence is now a mid table defence. With the players we have we won't get any better than that.

Goals are the problem - with a mid table defence you need a minimum of a mid table strike force. Ours is league 1 standard.

In our last 19 fixtures, we have failed to score in 11 of them. That is relegation form, simple as that. This side has only scored in one of our last 4 fixtures and we now face the meanest defence in the country, away, on Saturday.

DJ - Reading aside we have defended well, and are much improved. We are not going to be a Swansea and keep a dozen clean sheets from here on in but our defence is now a mid table defence. With the players we have we won't get any better than that.

Goals are the problem - with a mid table defence you need a minimum of a mid table strike force. Ours is league 1 standard.

In our last 19 fixtures, we have failed to score in 11 of them. That is relegation form, simple as that. This side has only scored in one of our last 4 fixtures and we now face the meanest defence in the country, away, on Saturday.

If what I saw last night is anything to go by, we are improved defensively because we have taken resources away from our attack to help out. This left the strikers isolated and out-manned.

For a striker to be productive in those circumstances he'd have to be of a much higher standard than we can currently afford.

If what I saw last night is anything to go by, we are improved defensively because we have taken resources away from our attack to help out. This left the strikers isolated and out-manned.

For a striker to be productive in those circumstances he'd have to be of a much higher standard than we can currently afford.

Pretty much what I said before, but better worded!

If we had beaten WBA or even got a point last night, im sure people would be more optimistic.

Facts are, the three strikers we have dont have THAT bad a strike rate, but the service to them is woeful. We could have Rooney and Torres upfront on some occasions and we would struggle to score.

As also pointed out, our midfield have hardly chipped in with goals either.

We have lacked in every department - even at a rate of two goals per game, how many times have we conceded two or more?

I still think, unless we are going to get the funding to bring in proven goalscorers, Clarke and Tudgay should be kept for next season, regardless of which division we are in. Varney im unsure of, although i like his work rate and he has looked much sharper since coming back, im just not sure he and Tudgay are the most potent threat we can get.

Shifting Jeffers off the wage bill has GOT to help though?

CODSWALLOP :laugh:

If we had beaten WBA or even got a point last night, im sure people would be more optimistic.

Facts are, the three strikers we have dont have THAT bad a strike rate, but the service to them is woeful. We could have Rooney and Torres upfront on some occasions and we would struggle to score.

As also pointed out, our midfield have hardly chipped in with goals either.

We have lacked in every department - even at a rate of two goals per game, how many times have we conceded two or more?

I still think, unless we are going to get the funding to bring in proven goalscorers, Clarke and Tudgay should be kept for next season, regardless of which division we are in. Varney im unsure of, although i like his work rate and he has looked much sharper since coming back, im just not sure he and Tudgay are the most potent threat we can get.

Shifting Jeffers off the wage bill has GOT to help though?

We didn't get anything last night because we didn't score yet again. Conceding 1 away from home is more than acceptable.

In our last 19 games we have failed to score in well over half of them. Carry on that form and we are down.