Without a new striker we are down

If what I saw last night is anything to go by, we are improved defensively because we have taken resources away from our attack to help out. This left the strikers isolated and out-manned.

For a striker to be productive in those circumstances he'd have to be of a much higher standard than we can currently afford.

To be fair, that was a tactic we used away against an automatic promotion side that nearly worked.

We don't tend to do that all the time.

Like you have said in your match assessment though, we need Potter to do more off the ball- if he did, then the strikers wouldn't need to drop deep so much.

Guest utOwlz

I think were going down, i said it even after we beat leicester and im not changing my mind. Were so bad that if we concede first weve lost already! We have only scored 2 goals in our last 5 matches, were just not good enough for this league

I trust in Clarke and Tudgay to get us up the table. With JJ swapping places with Tuggy from time to time to spice things up.

These two, plus their fellow forwards, are scoring a combined 0.66 goals per game under Irvine. Based on this we can at best expect them to score only 2 goals between them every 3 games.In total then we are on course for another 8 goals between our strikers in the next 11 games. It isn't enough. We need one of them to get close to 8 goals in 11, and AN other striker to bang in another 4 or 5 at the minimum.

These two, plus their fellow forwards, are scoring a combined 0.66 goals per game under Irvine. Based on this we can at best expect them to score only 2 goals between them every 3 games.In total then we are on course for another 8 goals between our strikers in the next 11 games. It isn't enough. We need one of them to get close to 8 goals in 11, and AN other striker to bang in another 4 or 5 at the minimum.

Isnt Clarkes SWFC starts-to-goals ratio 1 in 3? Not a bad average really?Its service. You cant expect us to bang in goals with high balls from our own box all the time.

These two have actually not played together that much this season...Varney has started most of the time....(enough said)Clarke and Tudgay look a good partnership for me. If we manage to keep them together, I would be fairly confident. Surely Tudgay will find his scoring touch soon...

We lost by one wonder goal to the 2nd best side in the league - we held our own, by the sounds of the commentry, for most of the game at their place! Not bad I think.Why all the panic?We have always done well as a team when all our players contribute a few goals - when was the last time we ever had a top 3 scorer in the league. We need goals from midfield and defenders as well as those up top.As for who plays where - JJ up there is a good call up front and I think AI likes him there. Its just everyone is fit now so I don't know if he can justify him up front. Clarke appears to be fired up. There is a risk though that he will now go missing for the next 3. I still think AI wants to try Jeffers as he gets fit and knows him. It may well be a Jeffers goal that keeps us up although I don't think he will do enough to get a new deal. The choice will be ultimately who gives the most in training and shows the gaffer they want it most. The good thing is we have got replacements if someone doesn't turn up which is a good posiition to be in with all the games in March. The next 10 games will at least show the Gaffer who has fight and character which is needed in this league - or the one below, and he can really decide who has earned a new deal.

Isnt Clarkes SWFC starts-to-goals ratio 1 in 3? Not a bad average really?Its service. You cant expect us to bang in goals with high balls from our own box all the time.

All the strikers are all far too inconsistent - having one decent game then 4 or 5 shockers.To illustrate this - in only one game this season (Cardiff at home) has more than 1 striker scored. If one scores, the other does not. It is simple facts like this that evidence the reason for us being in the bottom 3.Again, based on what we have seen so far this season, if one of our strikers has scored then there is no point bringing on another striker from the bench because he will not score.

We didn't get anything last night because we didn't score yet again. Conceding 1 away from home is more than acceptable.

In our last 19 games we have failed to score in well over half of them. Carry on that form and we are down.

^

That's the spirit, let's talk ourselves down. Great job you're doing

Posted Image

All the strikers are all far too inconsistent - having one decent game then 4 or 5 shockers.To illustrate this - in only one game this season (Cardiff at home) has more than 1 striker scored. If one scores, the other does not. It is simple facts like this that evidence the reason for us being in the bottom 3.Again, based on what we have seen so far this season, if one of our strikers has scored then there is no point bringing on another striker from the bench because he will not score.

Ok.What about midfield. Their goal scoring ratio is even worse.Its all about supply. Id love to see what would happen if we actually started playing proper attacking football, like we did at scunny at home. Scored four, could have been 12.As for the strikers - you get what you pay for. If we want better, we have to pay more. We cant afford it, so we cant have it.

Clarke has matured an awful lot over the last 18 months and is now almost the striker that we need. He is almost mean enough!He's got the strength, skill, etc needed at this level. If he turned in the sort of performance he did against Leicester for 90 mins every game instead of once a season he'd be scoring 15-20 goals a season. Just needs to be more willing to put the opposition to the sword.

think thats what you meant to say

Guest wilkotheowl

The performance at Reading aside, we look a half decent outfit under Irvine. Having grown up under Sgt Wilko I don't mind going a bit more direct at times, and our central defenders look more comfortable since he has come in.None of it will matter though, as with our current strikers at the club we will not score enough goals to stay up.Some stats under Irvine so far:We are scoring an average of 1.08 goals per game.Our strikers in the period Irvine has been manager are scoring (combined) an average of 0.66 goals per game.It isn't enough. Here is why:1. Many of the sides we are still to play have hammered us this season - Watford, Derby, Pigs, Boro have all knocked 3 or more past us. The likelihood is we need to score at least once to draw, and at least twice to beat these sides. On current goalscoring form we are on course to score once against these sides -in my opinion not enough to beat them.2. Our goal difference stinks. Palace have Hart in charge who sets his side up to keep clean sheets so they will finish the season with a better goal difference than us. Our aim has to be to have a better GD than Sflaphorpe - this means, simply, we need to defend as we are doing and score more goals. Our current forwards are incapable of doing this. Unless Scunny get turned over by someone, I think we will end up with a worse goal difference than either Scunny or Palace.If we carry on as we are under Irvine so far we are down - it is significant that, despite what we would regard as a real improvement under Irvine, we remain in the exact same position in the table as when he took over. The defensive improvement, and overall improvement in performance under Irvine - IS NOT ENOUGH.Leon Clarke, Marcus Tudgay, Francis Jeffers, Luke Varney - these men are not good enough to score the goals to keep us up. None should be at the club next season.A striker needs to be brought in with whatever money we can get together. I am opposed to the idea of fans funding this directly but if this is the only way it needs to happen.

Good point, but our strikers worked their socks off last night, as did the whole team, but our final ball is letting us down badly & when you see the quality coming off the bench for WBA (Miller, Koren) it highlights our shortcomings still further.We more than matched a team placed third(?) in the league in all areas until they brought on their subs & considering they murdered us 0-4 at Hillsborough earlier in the season then it just shows what a brave, concerted effort it was from the team last night.AI has performed miracles but has got to receive funds for more quality if we are to safely avoid relegation.Also, the same small squad of players cannot expect to maintain their energy levels & keep fit & win the required number of games & the strength in depth is just not sufficient for the hectic schedule ahead.Injuries to key players like Purse, JJ & Grant could prove our downfall.Having said that, (Steady)Eddie Nolan was brilliant last night & possibly the only person to get Thomas subbed for being so ineffectual against him.He can cover across the back & is a very worthy addition to our team made by AI.Given the funds from somewhere, I am absolutely convinced AI will use it to full effect & lead us to safety!There are quality bargains out there. Graham Dorrans (a snip from Hibs) proved that last night in abundance.So raid the piggy bank SOMEONE & then next season we can go forward at last!!UTO.

Another problem is that we have collected 4 strikers with no thought given as to how they will play together. Although they all have their attributes they are ill matched and no partnership seems to work. For me, our best chance of goals, apart from bringing a new man in, would be Varney and Jeffers, though I mainly base this only on one brief cameo together in an earlier game at Hillsborogh. Looking at the way they all play though, this seems to me the best striking pair.

Do you actually go to football matches because if you do you'll see Tudgay playing in midfield and on the wing, anywhere but up front where he's supposed to be.

If we are defending, tudgay drops deep....which is why he is a big asset to the team when he is not scoring..No point Tudgay playing level with the last man because he hasn't got the pace. His main ability is flicking on areal balls, link up play, closing down or getting into the box for headers (from crosses or set plays)Only a clueless moron would stop Tudgay from ever dropping deep. Edited by Beholder

Guest bartos

Some right b0ll0x being spoken in this thread, the current squad is capable of staying up but has more chance with us fully behind them rather than questioning merits of players who have improved massively under AI

Edited by bartos