Question about Brian Laws

Guest Burnleyfan

Put it this way:

Im a Wednesday Fan, my Dad is a Burnley fan, who comes to a fair amount of SWFC matches with me. I got an email from him yesterday morning before Laws was revealed saying simply:

'I hope Laws doesn't get the job'.

Ive a feeling that Burnley will stay up this season, but next season might not be such an easy ride.

I bet Alex Ferguson is pooing himself now knowing that Russ wilcox is plotting his demise for the up and coming burnley/man u game.

The departure of RW from Hillsborough might be one of the best things about this business. It's hearsay from ex-players on my part, but it just might be that he wasn't universally liked, as it were....

Conversely, on their WW interview from the Middlewood Rd tent, I thought Rob Kelly and Billy Barr came across pretty well.

The departure of RW from Hillsborough might be one of the best things about this business. It's hearsay from ex-players on my part, but it just might be that he wasn't universally liked, as it were....

Conversely, on their WW interview from the Middlewood Rd tent, I thought Rob Kelly and Billy Barr came across pretty well.

RW and BL have been a managerial partnership for years, i bet they're as stunned as anybody that they are coaching in the prem now, nice guys, glad they've gone.

Guest BaRmY OwLs

In our pomp under Laws we played some cracking football.

I'd say our biggest weakness under Laws was actually that we didn't have a Plan B when the passing game was neutralised by teams playing 'ugly', pressing football. We became very easy to play against when teams worked out we only had one way of playing...even if that one way was quite easy on the eye.

Summed up in one!

Guest chaferswfc90

This season our link up play looked good little interchnaging passes (first few games of the season anyway) i honestly think at times we have looked at our best passing wise this season last 9 games not included! but its not working for us obviously

To the O.P.

Laws has been no better or worse than most other managers in this league with a bottom 6 playing budget..eventually things go stale, ideas run out and the results suffer. That accounted for Laws and his predecesser.

If a couple of his signings work out he could quite well, here he recruited a couple of players that on paper should have worked out ( Jeffers, for instance, looked to have found his level at Ipswich but hasn't worked out for us) but ultimately contributed to him losing his job.

Personally I felt at times we played better football than we had for years and had some cracking results under Laws, and he wasn't far from over achieving, nearly getting us into the playoffs.

It could work out for you, but ultimately I think the task of keeping you up would be too big for any manager.

strange some of the sacrastic, almost wee wee take views of Laws tactics on here

serious one

POSITIVE:

He'll try and get Burnley to play some nice passing football which at times will look sublime. Sometimes, the team will come out and batter the opposition but depending on personal, and with that Patison up front, you will have NO end product. cos to be quite frank that guy is garbage.

NEGATIVE:

Baffling substitutions. He will most usually always make like-for-like subs. A winger for a winger, a centre back for a centre back, or a striker for a striker. Never likes to mix it up, or TAKE A RISK

Tactics are somewhat questionable.. especially the way he sets up away from home. defensively you will leak a shed load away. but i reckon it won't be as bad as under Coyle. You won't get hammered 6-1 or whatnot. or so you hope

Plan B. Or lack of it ... there was no plan B at SWFC. if we were playing poor the players would play long ball to a midget striker. no whether that was due to a lack of players/quality/thought .. who knows

His reluctance to again .. take a risk. never played 2 wingers together in the same squad, even at home. again whether this was down to himself, or lack of consistency and effort from individuals we will not know

end of the day, Laws has a completely different team to deal with ... so he might go in there, and get them playing some good football and picking results up ... who knows

strange some of the sacrastic, almost wee wee take views of Laws tactics on here

serious one

POSITIVE:

He'll try and get Burnley to play some nice passing football which at times will look sublime. Sometimes, the team will come out and batter the opposition but depending on personal, and with that Patison up front, you will have NO end product. cos to be quite frank that guy is garbage.

NEGATIVE:

Baffling substitutions. He will most usually always make like-for-like subs. A winger for a winger, a centre back for a centre back, or a striker for a striker. Never likes to mix it up, or TAKE A RISK

Tactics are somewhat questionable.. especially the way he sets up away from home. defensively you will leak a shed load away. but i reckon it won't be as bad as under Coyle. You won't get hammered 6-1 or whatnot. or so you hope

Plan B. Or lack of it ... there was no plan B at SWFC. if we were playing poor the players would play long ball to a midget striker. no whether that was due to a lack of players/quality/thought .. who knows

His reluctance to again .. take a risk. never played 2 wingers together in the same squad, even at home. again whether this was down to himself, or lack of consistency and effort from individuals we will not know

end of the day, Laws has a completely different team to deal with ... so he might go in there, and get them playing some good football and picking results up ... who knows

Fair summing up. Just two points to make:-

1: If at half time you're playing well and leading by 2 goals -KEEP HIM OUT OF THE DRESSING ROOM! We didn't, and the team that came out for the second half was totally unlike the team that went in at HT.

2: If you sign loan players , do not expect them to be included in the squad. He seems to have an aversion to signing loan players for specific purposes and playing them, prefering to put on the bench, and maybe using them as subs for the last 10-15 mins in what is a no-win situation.

Other than that, if the dressing room are with him on his tactics, you could do a lot worse.

Edited by Buxtongent

Fair summing up. Just two points to make:-

1: If at half time you're playing well and leading by 2 goals -KEEP HIM OUT OF THE DRESSING ROOM! We didn't, and the team that came out for the second half was totally unlike the team that went in at HT.

2: If you sign loan players , do not expect them to be included in the squad. He seems to have an aversion to signing loan players for specific purposes and playing them, prefering to put on the bench, and maybe using them as subs for the last 10-15 mins in what is a no-win situation.

Other than that, if the dressing room are with him on his tactics, you could do a lot worse.

To be fair to Laws, many of his loan signings got us out of trouble, Songo'o Sahar, Johnson, Bolder, Kavanagh all played a large part in his team. As did Luke Varney.

It was quite clear he felt panicked into signing Soares and Feeney when the pressure was well and truly on.

Evening folks

In addition to the surprise and (mainly) disappointment, there's been a bit of debate as to the sort of football Laws tries to play. We've gotten used to some good passing stuff under Coyle and we're hoping Laws will try and carry that on.

In your experience, is he a long ball or on the deck manager (or something inbetween)?

Thanks

BF

I hope he does well for you and for himself as hes a gent,but as a manager I think he could be out of his depth.

Edited by jonigowl

Guest mikeglossopowl

The only thing I can add to the above is the length of time it took him to MAKE a substitution. You knew it needed changing, He knew it needed changing, but the discussions with RW took that long that normally 10 minutes had elapsed, and the game was lost.

You'll also get sick of his excuses for losing, as they all begin to sound the same.

May keep you up this year.....if he does I know where my monies going on who gets relegated next year!