Question about Brian Laws

Guest Burnleyfan

If you had asked that question on here at the beggining of the season you would have got completely different answers to the ones you are getting now, as it was generally considered he was doing as good a job as could be expected.

A nice guy who at times got us playing some good stuff as long as other teams allowed us to play, and did not push up on us

Personally i think his tactics could be somewhat baffling, playing players out of position ect, and his substitutions even more so. In the end with us in free fall and with the loss of the support of the fans our parting had to come.

Hope he does well for you and will be interested in the quality of player he now tries to sign with a bit of money available.

A very fair and good summary.

The Derby games, the Leicester away match 4-1, the Leeds match (both as pointed out in the links), there is more. We did play some good football that's for sure. Also, did anybody read that report with regards to Laws was the most suvvesful manager for his budget. Or something like that.

Guest Burnleyfan

Cheers.

I'm under no illusions and I'm sure that neutrals will be as baffled at the appointment as we are (and relegation rivals rubbing their hands with glee). Had he not played for Burnley or had he still been in a job at Wednesday, I've no doubt he wouldn't have been a contender. Had I been asked to list my top 50 choices, he probably wouldn't have made the list.

We think it's more to do with our lack of funds and need to appoint quickly than it is about ability. There's little on his CV that warrants a crack at the Prem.

All of that said, there's nothing else to do but back him now and pray our concern was ill-founded.

Evening folks

In addition to the surprise and (mainly) disappointment, there's been a bit of debate as to the sort of football Laws tries to play. We've gotten used to some good passing stuff under Coyle and we're hoping Laws will try and carry that on.

In your experience, is he a long ball or on the deck manager (or something inbetween)?

Thanks

BF

brian laws did a good job on a meagre budget.and at times we played

some decent football.

in the end his summer free transfers of purse/miller

were probably his undoing.

hopefully at burnley he'll be given more resources and he won't be

scraping around in the bargain bucket.

were brassic if you didn't know.

Good points:

Passionate (extremely. he feels every defeat and seems to be at one with the community and local fans)

Open footballing style (at times). He does like to try get the ball down and play, though this season his signings and odd tactics really have stifled this

Good knowledge of the game. Uses prozone a lot. Makes sure he has dossiers of opponents and has stat after stat on each and every player

That's where the good ends I am afraid

Bad Points:

Tactically naive. very inflexible with tactics. Has one rigid system of a defensive 442, with a central midfielder (defensive) on one wing and one attackive winger on the other.

He also tried a loan striker, but did not play the midfielders and wide men correctly, so that one loan front man was left exposed and un-supported

Substitutions. He is really ineffective at making changes to try influence the game. He rarely 'goes for it' when behind and does not know how to chase leads, or hold onto them

Favourites. Brian will unfortunately develop favourites. He picks them week in, week out until they become complacent. They lose their edge as they know any performance will do, yet still remain in the side

Finally..... transfers and signings. Don't get me started. He has made one good signing for us, Lee Grant on a free.

He has spent what little money we have on absolute trash. This is the main reason why Wednesday fans are amazed he has got the job

Bought Franny Jeffers for £800,000 on 9k per week, he has scored 4 or 5 goals in 3 years.

Spent £400,000 on 2 strikers, who again have found themselves benced, out of sorts, or just not good enough and rarely look like scoring 5-10 goals a season.

Loan market - this season, during our bad spell, he brought in Warren Feeney and Tom Soares, as he said we needed to freshen it up and get some more options in up front.

He then sends the fans favourite 'Sodje' out on loan, citing a lack of match fitness..... then, he does not play the loan signings for the first 2 or 3 games they are here.... unbelievable.

So, in summary, I am totally shocked Laws has been appointed, he is not the man who you need when money is tight, is not tactically cut out for the top flight, but will give you fight, passion and possibly some good football (if he brings in or uses the right players)

Bad Points:

Tactically naive. very inflexible with tactics. Has one rigid system of a defensive 442, with a central midfielder (defensive) on one wing and one attackive winger on the other.

He also tried a loan striker, but did not play the midfielders and wide men correctly, so that one loan front man was left exposed and un-supported agreed

Substitutions. He is really ineffective at making changes to try influence the game. He rarely 'goes for it' when behind and does not know how to chase leads, or hold onto them I know you've said "rarely", but I feel he does make some inspired substitutions. Look at Esajas in the united game. Granted, he perhaps should have started, but I think Laws did make a few inspired changes

Favourites. Brian will unfortunately develop favourites. He picks them week in, week out until they become complacent. They lose their edge as they know any performance will do, yet still remain in the side Yep, agreed

Yes, he made some poor signings. But without a pot to wee wee in, and while he managed us we were just a mediocre championship side, we were never going to attract quality names. People have rarely mentioned Gray who I feel has been a pretty decent signing. Even Potter is a fairly good one, again considering the situation we were in.

He also tried a loan striker, but did not play the midfielders and wide men correctly, so that one loan front man was left exposed and un-supported

'loan' as in on loan from another club or

'lone' as in alone/on his own ???????????

Edited by brian joicey

Favourites. Brian will unfortunately develop favourites. He picks them week in, week out until they become complacent. They lose their edge as they know any performance will do, yet still remain in the side

To be fair, name one manager that you can't apply this to? Every manager who has been at a Club for several years develops 'favourites' within the squad.

Bought Franny Jeffers for £800,000 on 9k per week, he has scored 4 or 5 goals in 3 years.

Without wanting to dig up old dirt and cover old ground...I think to hang the milestone ( http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif ) that is the signing of Francis Jeffers solely around Brian Laws' neck is very harsh.

Guest Burnleyfan

Did you not go against us last season home or away?

I was at Hillsborough, but I was too busy paying attention to our appalling defensive display to take notice of the football you were playing :dry:

Missed the game at Turf Moor, but it's become customary this century for you to batter us at our place. I had the misfortune of witnessing a relegated Sheff Wed side stick 7 goals past us.