The Season Tickets Renewal Thread

Guest Bellsview

My gripe is the deadline being brought forward for initial renewal, it means I probably won't renew

Get an Owls Mastercard like I did recently walkers.

The reason I got one is I knew season ticket prices would be a disappointment and that LS was spinning away as usual, building supporters hopes up then failing to deliver.

At least with the Owls Mastercard you could sign up for your season ticket before the deadline, then enjoy 6 months interest free to pay for it.

THIS IS WAY TOO LONG. IF YOUR NOT INTERESTED IN A REASONED ASSESSMENT PLEASE DONT WASTE YOUR TIME. TA.

OK read all that here goes...

At first glance (the leaflet given at the Tunrstile) I was shocked and disappointed to see that my ticket had gone up in price. (Yes in the grandstand/family stand). This was due to the false expectation I had based on the PR from the club. However as I currently pay for a ticket for my 5 year old daughter (who doesn't go that often) the £468 is cheaper than the £420 + £120 I paid last year (I think). It just means I won't get a ticket for my daughter. I think they are the best seats in the ground and I am able (fortunately) and willing (stupidly?) to pay for it.

I was pleased to see that lower prices were available within the ground (on the Kop/North Stand). It does appear that the majority of individuals will get better prices than last season, and recognition that some did not renew due for politic reasons (last three years) should see a return of those supporters (if that was truly the reason for there non attendance).

I welcome the introduction of a student season ticket. Sheffield has a massive student body and has one of the highest retention rates in the country(more students saty in sheffield after their study than anywhere else). These people (on average) will also earn more money than average and therefore as part of along term strategy it would make sense to try and capture that future spending power.

If you are over sixteen and not in education I think you should pay full price for a ticket. Unless you have an unfortunate situation, you will be living at home and have at least the same disposable income as the average working man. The student ticket should be expanded to fit all those still in education whether its college or University (it may do already; not enough info yet!).

I was in the granstand/family stand yesterday and the feeling of those around me, on the concourse and in the toilets was very strong and very negative. These people generally feel used and abused. Although I can appreciate their anger I think it is slightly misplaced (it seemed to be based on price mainly) and the result of the new regimes poor use of PR when justifying the dsicounted matchday tickets. Why promise 'rewards' at all in our current situation. Without this I feel these prices would have been completely accepted if not welcomed. Hopefully LS will rectify this, regarding the grandstand, with a price freeze for this year and a promise that future years increases will be broadly in line with the rest of the ground. This would still segment the client base.

My greatest concern, is the loss of an area that is set aside for families (particularly with younger children). I defend the right of any fan to be passionate about their football (yes I mean swearing and other aggresive language). It is inconceivable that you can police either the Kop or North Stand to the required level to produce the trulty unique atmosphere and environment that is provided by the Family stand. We should not deny the right of the majority to express their loyalty and love for their club in a way they have done for some many years (racism and the like aside). By not providing a designated family area many people will simply not pay for a season ticket that could be just in front of a person or group of persons that could make a trip to the match a very unpleasant experience.

On top of this family issue, the fact that those who already have tickets on the Kop or North Stand have secure seats, means that you are forcing families to go from what are very good seats with great facilites (to reiterate, the environment at half time and before the match is unlike anywhere else in the ground) to seats with a poor view of the game relative to the rest of the stand. When you look at it like this it does look like families are being punished because the previous regime got something right!

I am really pleased that Lee is going to review this, but please Lee if you do read this address the family issue as much as the financial one.

The bottom line is that we are in the position we are in (financially). Large discounts were highly unlikely, and probably dangerous. Over all the season ticket policy is a step forward but due to poorly managed PR in the proceeding months it has come across as catastrophic (a review already announced) and may result in us losing as many tickets (families) as we gain (political refugees!). It does appear to align the current regime with the practices of the old, OVER PROMISE AND UNDER DELIVER.

Lets hope this does not mark the start of the end of what had been a new dawn and is just slip on the bery difficult road ahead.

I remember when Newcastle needed to redevelop their ground there were people who had sat in their seat for 50 years or more and threatened all sorts of action. We do not need this now. We do however have to move on and the seat for life is an outdated concept. So I urge all to think again about the last 24 hours. We need to move forward together.

WTID

Once again sorry for the length of the post!

Edited by thommo

Credit cards are hardly a solution for families struggling to afford a season ticket for their family

You have to prioritise then. Food in mi belly, roof over the kids or watch big Leon on a Saturday. This is the 21st Century, not some Dickensian era!

Guest Walkley_Owl

Brought forward?

By how much?

17 days?

Considering season tickets are on sale much earlier this time round Im not so sure that argument can stand really.

You know nothing of my personal circumstances so how can my argument not stand up?

I like to pay around mid June and start saving some cash from March to afford it but due to the recession thats hitting the country saving is becoming more difficult, I also get a bonus in June which usually makes up the majority of my ST fund so bringing this date forward hasn't helped me, I would have to pay £17 more for my ST than this season if I get my ST in mid-June how is that rewarding exisitng ST holders?

Edited by Walkley_Owl

Just out of interest, what are your reasons for this? A few people have mentioned this but not actually said why?

Genuine Question btw.

because the deadline is the 31st of a month.

Not the first or midway through

the most common UK paydates are the 31stlast working day or 15th in the middle of the month

Haven't expectations been built up by the fans with unrealistic hopes though? Most people have got a better deal which is all the club promised.

No in his many and various interviews LS said at the time of the Turnstile Reduction that EXISTING ( ie; not the one year rebels who didn't buy this season for varying reason so didn't lose any value on tickets )ST holders would be looked after at renewal time as it was impractical to do anything at the time. Yes we got the reduction on merchandise and SOME though definitely not all got a couple of freebies but the implication was most definitely that the devaluation of our tickets this season would be taken into account in the renewal offer.It hasn't been the one year rebels who had the advantage of the cheap deals not available to ST holders have the exact same deal as us.

Maybe LS shopuld stop with the double speak and just lay it on the line in future then people such as me wouldn't be so pissed off at the moment.

because the deadline is the 31st of a month.

Not the first or midway through

the most common UK paydates are the 31stlast working day or 15th in the middle of the month

I dont see how this is a problem? Surely people have known that they will be wanting to pay for ticket and factored this over the last few months? Or do people try to pay the full cost of a season ticket from 1 months wage?

:blink:

I thought we were going to try and fill Hillsborough?

As I've said before, we will never fill Hillsborough week in week, next season, even if tickets were free! The product on the pitch is of a poor standard.

I dont see how this is a problem? Surely people have known that they will be wanting to pay for ticket and factored this over the last few months? Or do people try to pay the full cost of a season ticket from 1 months wage?

:blink:

Its pyschological though isn't it ?

You more likely go spend £300 on a S/T just after having £1000 or whatever dropped into your current account than at the end of the month when said account is reading zero imho.

Maybe LS shopuld stop with the double speak and just lay it on the line in future then people such as me wouldn't be so pissed off at the moment.

Maybe you should ring RS and complain it's Wed'ites fault for season ticket issues using double speak!

You more likely go spend £300 on a S/T just after having £1000 or whatever dropped into your current account than at the end of the month when said account is reading zero imho.

Ahh, so peoples reaction to the dates are merely psychological issues and not actual payment problems?

Thats like saying I won't pay £300 but £299 sounds like a great deal!

The qualifying period was cut last season from 1st July to mid-june now its end of May, no i did not anticipate this happening and as im paid weekly and the country is in the grip of the worst financial crisis in decades factoring in an early purchase of my ST wasn't exactly a priority.

It would cost the club ZERO POUNDS to have the qualifying period back to where it used to be, July 1st, which still accounts for your most common Pay Dates argument and would probably result in more renewals.

The information that early renewal reductions would stop at the end of May instead of Mid-June could easily have been announced early without compromising the announcements of pricing as well, again at a cost of ZERO POUNDS.