Why did we sign Bus? The striker problem.

Before I start i'm not saying Bus is a bad signing, just struggling to understand why we have signed him given the circumstances. 

Right now we have 4 strikers on our books, Nuhiu,Lavery,Bus and May(Not including Madine as he'll be released and loanee Keane) and it's no secret we've struggled to score this season, 39 league goals in 43 games is a poor statistic, regardless of how solid our defense has been, we've scored the 4th lowest goals in the league. And when I look back at the teams we've played in particular at home that have been awful like Bolton, Rotherham and Brighton I can't believe how teams like that have scored more goals than us this season. I mean Brighton's top scorer is a defender and they've still scored more goals than us... It's clear goals have been a big problem for us this season.

So, what are we going to do about our current strikers? Nuhiu, as much as he gets slated on here is our top scorer and is an excellent target man for this division and Gray has indicated he's very much part of his next season plans, so I highly doubt he will go anywhere. Lavery I would argue is our most talented prospect and I personally think he's better than May although very similar players(better on the ball, can play out wide, better positional awareness and has abit of quality in him), plus he signed a new deal recently so I can't see him going or being loaned out again next season(providing he stays fit). May, I understand why we signed him as we needed a striker at the start of the season and he's done alright I suppose for this first year in English football which is a massive step up for him, much like Nuhiu could have scored alot more if he'd been more clinical.

That brings me to Bus....why exactly did we decide to sign a Romanian 22 year old mid February for around 400k? (reoprted) I honestly do not understand, yes we were struggling for goals but we could have just recalled Lavery sooner or Madine and we still had Keane...But the big point for me is the future, if we really want to progress in this division we need at least one striker that's going to score 15+ a season, and is Bus that man? Assuming we want to push on and sign a first choice striker in summer with the 4 we already have at least 1 would have to make way, and for the points I've already mentioned I don't see that being Nuhiu or Lavery. Yes, we haven't seen the best of Bus and he is young, but why did we sign him then? I can only see it being a Chansiri pick, there was no hype no rumours about a player nothing, then all of a sudden we signed Sergiu Bus, out of nowhere...I would rather us wait until summer when we have a budget and sign a goal scorer that has at least played in England before. Bus is too much of a risk that we did not need to take and if we really want to move on and push for promotion we need to be signing strikers that will hit the ground running. As much as I like the guy this is not the long term solution to building a better squad.

Edited by Del_Liles

Bus is pretty low risk is he not? He's cost less that FJ9 did.

Perhaps, but if you consider our transfer budget to be around £2million this summer, a reasonable estimate, and Bus was signed for 400k(plus add ons) thats almost 25% of that gone. Comparing it to other signings in the league, Wolves got Dicko for 300k last year, maybe that 400k would have been better spent elsewhere if not, not spent at all.

Perhaps, but if you consider our transfer budget to be around £2million this summer, a reasonable estimate, and Bus was signed for 400k(plus add ons) thats almost 25% of that gone. Comparing it to other signings in the league, Wolves got Dicko for 300k last year, maybe that 400k would have been better spent elsewhere if not, not spent at all.

£2million budget? UTO

Why would the money for a January signing be relevant to the upcoming summers budget?

Or are you saying that the this summers arbitary budget was £2.4m and we have wasted some of it?

:wacko:

We struggled to score goals

Sign a new striker

Fan wonders why

The topic of the thread is to discuss was signing bus then and there the best option...signing a striker doesn't always solve the problem as we have noticed.

Why would the money for a January signing be relevant to the upcoming summers budget?

Or are you saying that the this summers arbitary budget was £2.4m and we have wasted some of it?

:wacko:

I'm saying perhaps Chansari allowed money to be spent in February that otherwise would have rolled over into the transfer budget in summer...

IF he cost that much. Bet his wages are low too

One plus point, his wages will likely be very low.

Edited by Del_Liles

I'm saying perhaps Chansari allowed money to be spent in February that otherwise would have rolled over into the transfer budget in summer...

Just to clarify, as Owlstalk always likes to get things right:

Is the completely made up budget you have pulled out off your arse £2.4m less £400k (£2m net) or £2m less £400k (£1.6m Net).

We need to know.

I think you have to look outside of the strikers for our goal scoring problems as well.

You need at least one midfielder / winger pushing towards 10 goals, and a defender pushing for say 5 from centre half.

There's been no real contribution at all. Can't think of a goal from a defender, lee and Maguire have a few.

Think there's been a lot of pressure on our forwards to be honest.

The topic of the thread is to discuss was signing bus then and there the best option...signing a striker doesn't always solve the problem as we have noticed.

One plus point, his wages will likely be very low.

Well no, the best option would have been to sign Messi

Guest Ash76

Yeah Chansiri signed him, the man who knows nothing about football.

All of our January transfers will have been identified some time ago with a takeover in mind