What was it like going to matches when you were a kid?

Started going with my Dad in the very late fifties. First away match was 7-2 v Man U ('61), Still waiting for a repeat! Remember being lifted over the turnstile a few times and not realising why at the time. Remember being in the South v A.S. Roma ('61/2) and everyone standing up and shouting "count em" to the ref at beginning of 2nd half when they tried to start with 13 players!

Started going on my own/with mates at about 13...think it was about a shilling (unbelievably 5p in modern money!) to get on the Kop at the time ('63), though I definately remember it being 1s9d at one point (I suppose about 8 or 9p) Remember being stood at the front of the Kop, just left of the goal with Nevthelodgemoorowl and him wearing a replica shirt then daringly opening his jacket to reveal it when Johnny Fantham came over.......believe it or not but nobody wore them then, it was probably the first time I'd seen such strange attire! Eat you heart out Gok cos the concept of a style guru started in Sheffield......the current standard dress code is all down to you mate! :tango:

My dad started taking me to reserve matches to start with in the late 50's. We used to stand on the old terraced area in front of the south stand.

At first we got the bus from Hackenthorpe to town then another bus (Football Special) to Hillsborough.

First match I have any real recollection of Wednesday reserves won somewhere in the region of 14-0, not sure of the opposition but Barnsley rings a bell.

From the early sixties I started going to 1st team matches always with my dad & quite often with my brother, now & again mum would tag along.

Main difference then was no segregation between home & away fans. There was generally loads of good natured banter between rival supporters, you'd "boo" & berate each other but you'd be having a laugh & after the match you could walk out together & talk about the match.

First recollection of being aware of any crowd trouble was my dad holding me close when a group of opposing fans walked past us outside the ground. They were relatively new to the old first division & had earned themselves a reputation of causing trouble at away matches. Surprise, surprise it was Liverpool. Later on the Man Utd fans gained themselves a bit of a reputation. This was before Leeds & Chelsea took over the mantle.

Yep, not allowed to say it these days of course but "hooliganism" started in Liverpool and Manchester........remember those headlines about toilet seats being ripped out of Train " football specials" etc? Personally had really hairy moments on the Stretford End and the Anfield Kop.

It all lead to the cages and fencing being introduced and look where got us!

As has already been said.....a different world then.

Edited by lesbarbeux

Dad took me to about 6 games a season, always against the kind of inoffensive (small teams); Southampton, Coventry, Wimbledon, QPR, Charlton. Exceptions were everton and west ham for family reasons.

Looking back, the fact it was a rare occasion made it extra exciting. God knows why I then got a season ticket for next 20 years.

Guest mkowl

Next weekend will be my 40th anniversary of going to Hillsborough, ironically against the very same opposition in Bolton. Never realised until recently it was a win or be relegated game, I was only 6

Sat on the north that day but generally went on the Lepp terrace. Went on a Law Brothers coach from the White Hart in High Green, my Dad always buying the "complimentary" ticket the supporters club got and me being lifted over the turnstyle for 20p that went to the operator.

We used to run to the left hand tunnel and go down the front. Unfortunately the fences went up not long after but me and my mate would still be there trying to see through. Each match Sammy would turn up 15 minutes late to a rendition of a "million miles" but keeping our distance from the mid section which as a young un looked full of danger.

I remember turning up one post Christmas match proudly wearing my new bobble hat and we ventured too close behind the goal. Wednesday scored early and the rush down the terraces was met with my bobble hat being nabbed. What i remember is that i only went back at the end of the game to my Dad and he had a right go saying i should have told him so he could have ventured in to the mid section to get it back. I just tell him i saved him from a kicking

Not long after my parents got divorced and he stopped going. I was gutted and my Mum probably through guilt let me go with older mates from the age of 11. Looking back it seems irresponsible, the era of hooliganism, the marching of fans down Penistone Road, the pubs with the windows boarded up and events after games round Hillsborough Park that i wouldn't want my kids to see. It was that thrill though, on the 80 bus coming down to the ground, running up the steps to the top of the Kop and making our way down to our spot, basically where the right hand pillar is and seeing the same faces. The Swansea game where i have never been colder, the Liverpool game a few days later where it was never fuller, the promotion of 30 years ago, the roof going up (standing next to the hole for the pillar for a couple of games), the despair of the disaster, the last night as a terrace. The Kop lost its charm but i will be there again later, still loving that walk up the steps, still surveying the ground, even seeing a lot of them same faces. Football has changed so much but that little kid is still there

Started going mid eighties, up at the crack off dawn ruskin park for a kick about for a couple of hours.

Home to get ready then the belle vue for 12 to meet my dad, grandads and uncles and cousins if it was sunny we had to sit outside or if raining we were allwed to sit in the corner then 2 15 off to the vic on our way to hillsborough.

We used to stand in the middle of the kop same place every week with the same people. First game that really sticks out in my mind was man city on boxing day 89 i think the day hirsty made it 1 0 then kept a clean sheet after Pressman broke his leg. Not missed many home games since and get to as many away games as possible, my son's and on his fourth season ticket.

Sorry about the length of the post and the grammar Wawaw

Started going mid eighties, up at the crack off dawn ruskin park for a kick about for a couple of hours.

Home to get ready then the belle vue for 12 to meet my dad, grandads and uncles and cousins if it was sunny we had to sit outside or if raining we were allwed to sit in the corner then 2 15 off to the vic on our way to hillsborough.

We used to stand in the middle of the kop same place every week with the same people. First game that really sticks out in my mind was man city on boxing day 89 i think the day hirsty made it 1 0 then kept a clean sheet after Pressman broke his leg. Not missed many home games since and get to as many away games as possible, my son's and on his fourth season ticket.

Sorry about the length of the post and the grammar Wawaw

Hirsty told that story at one of his evenings recently....still proud that he scored AND kept a clean sheet, but admitted that he had quaffed too much pink champagne at breakfast time and insisted on going in goal as he'd had enough "running about!"

my 1st game I can remember like it was yesterday ,feb 62 v blunts went with my blunt mate and his dad .train from mexboro then football special down to the ground ,went in the old south stand and remember being in awe at the size of the cantilever on the other side .when Wednesday scored (Dobson)I went berserk with my rattle and knocked the bloke behind me glasses off .after the game (we lost )can remember going down the side of Hillsboro park where 1000s were waiting for the specials that were lined up to take them back to town .got the green un at the station then devoured every word of the report on the train home ....was just so different back then no hooligans no bad feeling just banter with the blunts, 50000 in that day and all the police had to do was direct the traffic . ,3d for the programme,think it was 2/6 to get in .as a 9 year old I was hooked and have been ever since .

Guest Fedor

I remember my first game, sitting on the wall at the front of the kop and I caught the ball. I always thought we lost 4-0 and it was Chesterfield but after checking the archives such a result didn't exist. Anyway it would have been mid 70s and we lost to a team in an all orange strip.

1982/3..I used to get the 83,82 from Greystones with my brother; when we got to to the ground, he would leave me with my uncle cos he wanted to go to the back of the Kop..me n my uncle (who still goes on the Kop) would stand lower down behind the goal..Cugar smoke, a bus driver, Tears for Fears 'Mad World' at half time played by Stevie Splash...Bus home and seein some Wolves fans kicking off in Middlewood Rd..

It was always cold and I couldn't wait to get home..

Sillky scarves and them floppy blue n white caps...

Started going to Hillsborough regularly in early 70's. Loved every minute of it even if the football was utter gash (most of the time). Used to stand in the top section of the NWC before moving to the Kop in '74. Saw some great crowds for big cup games but also in mid 70's plenty of crowds less than 10,000.

I started going around the same time, we used to go home and away every week. Just 7 years of crap to start with apart from the occasional cup match v Everton and arsenal.

my first memories are walking between the Lower and upper part of the south stand and smelling the linament coming from the changing room windows. Also being sent to queue 10 mins before half time for a steak and kidney pie and a bovril.

good times which I remember fondly.

The camaraderie was awesome.

I remember in the early 80s my grandad used to go in a bar/club under the north stand while I stood at the gates between the kop and north stand waiting for players autographs. They used to park where the megastore is now and walk across front of the Kop! Got all players autographs 20 times over. I was hooked. We used to go on the maltby/thurcroft supporters bus and it was around the time of the miners strike, some proper men/fans on that bus. Also remember the smell of pipe tobacco and bovril and everyone singing the sport talk theme tune when it came on the radio on way home

I remember going to the Pontins League games with my dad before being allowed to go to the first team games, watching the likes of Scott Cam, Lance Key, Leroy Chambers and the free scoring Gordon Watson.

When I did start going to the first team games however, I remember wishing the week away at Wisewood school so that I could go down and watch what at the time was the most entertaining side in the country.

Standing on the kop watching the Hirst - Williams strike partnership strike fear into the opposition really was a joy to watch and considering how far we've gone downhill since then, I feel privileged to have seen such a great Wednesday side.

Something.Ive always wondered, I bet there are some on here who have been in crowds of over 60,000 at Hillsborough. What were the logistics of getting that many into the ground, bearing in mind.people generally left it until the last minute as there was no extra entertainment before the game. Also, although we were a well supported club, did we take many to away games? How long would it have taken to travel to London before the M1?

Started going in 1981 at the age of 14 with mates when I moved into south Yorkshire. Used to catch Wigmores bus from Dinnington and then the football special from pond street. 6p from dinno and then 2p to Hillsborough. 35p for a program and 1.50 to get on the kop. Always love walking up behind the kop and then seeing the pitch appear before your eyes. Still get goosebumps to this day. When I took my kids or take my mates for the 1st time I always take em up the steps to the entrance right at the top of the kop so they can see how massive the old girl really is. Used to be on the kop for around 2.10 and get a good spot behind a barrier but you could guarantee at 3pm some giant pissed up idiot would appear and block your view lol. After the game it was a squeeze back on the football special to town, jump off grab a green un and leg it back to pond street to get the bus home and then I had 45 mins to be able to read all about the game I'd just watched. Always amazed how quick it was printed lol.

First game was 14th April 1979 v Chesterfield in the North Stand. We won 4-0 with Chris Turner playing in goal for us. I always remember walking along the concourse getting a glimpse of the pitch through the gangways and was truly amazed by the size of the ground as we took our seats. Travel in those days was on the 42 or 53 bus or sometimes the football special. The routine before a game would be Football Focus with Bob Wilson then a switch over to ITV to watch On the Ball later to become Saint & Greavsie. I would normally sit in the South Stand surrounded by the ten bob millionaires in their sheepskin jackets smoking their cigars with a whiff of alcohol infused coffee at half time.

My first game was 81 ish with my dad

Stood on the crows nest on NW corner

Can't remember opposition or the score but was hooked watching the crowd

Can still see the north stand erupt when we scored

Mike Lyons, Gary bannister, Imre Varadi were my first Wednesday heroes.

I started going to Hillsborough in 1958 when I was 14 years old. My first hero was Albert Quixall who was sold to Manchester United,a few weeks after I started going, for a British record fee of £45,000. I remember paying 1 shilling (5p in today's money) to go on the Kop. You could then pay a further shilling to transfer into the old wooden north stand. You could also, if you wished, walk round to the Leppings Lane end at half time. In that first season Wednesday gained promotion to the 1st division (top division)' scoring 106 goals in the process.

In those early days matches used to play on Christmas day and then Boxing day usually against the same team. Unless my memory is playing tricks I believe we played Lincoln City at home on Christmas day, winning 7-0 and away on Boxing day, winning 1-0. Can anyone confirm that?

I remember how great it was on the kop when it was standing and had no roof.

Bugger when it rained but you usually took a hat or something with a hood and lived with it.

People were jostling to get a view when Wednesday were bearing down on goal and when we scored you could end up 20 yards further down.

Much better atmosphere but quite dangerous looking back.

My Uncle used to Own the Park Hotel in the late fifties early sixties and my dad used to take us before the games and park round the back where the old court yard is and we would play in the yard and get a bottle of lime and lemon until the time to go to the game, my first recollection of actually going though was a night match and it was magical to see the floodlights walking down leppings Lane , the game was against The Arsenal i think and remember cheering when the ball flew into the back of the net only to be told that it was the opposition  that had scored   :sad: i was about 5 though  :rolleyes: