Everton and their "new song"

I saw one of the last gigs by the sadly now departed Steve Harley in which he performed acoustic versions of his own and other artists songs. Cat Stevens and even Longpigs would you believe. 

Brilliant night, during which he went to great lengths to decry the term ‘cover version’. He said that it’s only worth doing someone else’s songs if you reinterpret them, rather than just trot them out note for note. So he called them reinterpretations. 

I like therefore to think of Wednesday’s Gassama song as a reinterpretation and not a cover or recycled version. 

After all, nobody sings like Wedndayites. You’ve only to watch the scenes from Ewood to confirm that. 

WAWAW. 

RIP Steve Harley. 

image.jpeg.e7fced90a7f72aa4cc0ece752f702ed4.jpeg

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Devonstrix said:

More like I failed to detect your………I prefer to call it irony FG!

Mind you, I’ve become reluctant to use the irony word ever since Alanis Morissette was pilloried for her misuse of it multiple times in her famous song 😀

Totally agree, everything she sings about is just unlucky. 

There's a great internet sketch out there somewhere that is old and dissecting every line. 

""A traffic jam when you're already late." isn't ironic. A traffic jam whilst on your way to a council meeting to discuss the increase of cars in the city centre is."

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, Furious George said:

Totally agree, everything she sings about is just unlucky. 

There's a great internet sketch out there somewhere that is old and dissecting every line. 

""A traffic jam when you're already late." isn't ironic. A traffic jam whilst on your way to a council meeting to discuss the increase of cars in the city centre is."

‘It’s an injury time winner for Sunderland, 

When we only need a point to stop up. 

Isn’t it ironic?” 

No it’s foookin unlucky or terrible defending again. 

image.gif.a7a778b710eace183518af581dc264a2.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, thewookieisdown said:

I watched Everton win an evening game at Upton Park many many years ago, certainly the last century, and it was sung then.

It's a lovely notion that other clubs' fans are alive to what the supporters of a championship - league one yoyo club sing and copy it, but I suspect not wholly true.

dunno, the Wednesday band whored out all our songs to Leeds and England so both now sound like us. In fact it annoys my daughter if we go to an Lionesses game and I sing the Wednesday version of chants 🤣

4 hours ago, Colinwestzicoest said:

Sheff utd of course. Means they can sing it each game. Wouldn't have legs for.Man Utd. 

There's too many syllables in Sheffield United to fit any song. 

As if I didn't have enough reason to hate them, they grammatically annoy me as well. 

• Haha 1

I'm not really that bothered about who sings what, but I can't stand Everton as a club and would dearly love them to go down (almost as much as I want us to stay up).

They have been bobbins for years but somehow always seem to avoid the drop. They're football's equivalent of a jobbie that just won't flush.

36 minutes ago, Furious George said:

There's too many syllables in Sheffield United to fit any song. 

As if I didn't have enough reason to hate them, they grammatically annoy me as well. 

Greasy chip butty, however it shhite & nicked off Rotherham. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ThruThinAndThinner said:

I'm not really that bothered about who sings what, but I can't stand Everton as a club and would dearly love them to go down (almost as much as I want us to stay up).

They have been bobbins for years but somehow always seem to avoid the drop. They're football's equivalent of a jobbie that just won't flush.

Equivalent of Birmingham in the Championship. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Watto said:

We re all Wednesday aren't we was definitely ours we'll before the pigs and Leeds nicked it, as a saying or song. 

Not sure who were singing before us though? 

The tune was all over before we started singing wawaw but the way we sing it, we were first. The friggin band took it to Leeds rhinos games and Leeds then started singing "all Leeds aren't we". 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, maidstoneowl said:

Never, they have never sung this before in the 90s/2000s.  Never heard them sing this, in a Derby match, let alone any "regular" match. No way.

Just like we nicked "Carlos had a dream" from Everton after they had been singing "Roberto had a dream* for Roberto Martinez for two years before we claimed it as ours

23 hours ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

Cheeky sod. It's ours and ours alone lol

If I remember it was when you had 6000 in the south stand at PP?

we saw it and thought we'll have some of that. And it's made me curl up into a ball ever since lol

We just don't do it all that well as a club  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Devonstrix said:

Equivalent of Birmingham in the Championship. 

Birmingham have been stinking the Championship out for years. They should finally feck off to L1 and hopefully we can pass them on the way back up. I don't even think they'll be a big attraction in L1 either, especially when this league has had Ipswich, Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday and Derby in it in the past few years. 

Hi Ho silver lining came out in 1968, I remember loads of clubs singing it but it's been kept by us, I remember Rotherham winning the kop choir competition, Liverpool, Tottenham and Wolves were other clubs involved I think, and yes, the blunts nicked greasy chip butty off them lol

21 minutes ago, Sheffieldrams said:

Did we not steal the "bounce" song from you?

Every game for a few years now you hear " if you don't bounce your a f****g red"

looking forward to Paul Warne doing the bounce on Saturday.

I think we've been singing that for over 20 years now. Hard to believe it's that old. We were definitely singing it at the play off final at Cardiff. 

• Like 1

Derby defo nicked the bounce song from us like the Derby fan on here said after we took about 6k there first match after promotion to championship 2012.

• Like 2