Barry Bannan & Liam Palmer

11 minutes ago, SiJ said:

The problem is we will probably replace them with some utter rubbish or fail to replace them. 

It's how you go from Roland Nilsson to Ian Nolan

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I'd be surprised if many of our players even needed a mortgage in the first place.

We have Bannan, Palmer, Iorfa, Ihiekwe, Vauiks, Johnson, Windass, Paterson, and Smith - players we own - who are reportedly on at least £400k a year and have been earning football wages for a decade or more. If either of them have required a mortgage to buy a house in/around Sheffield, they might want to get better financial advisors!

I think you will find it common practice for them to take on motgages regardless of their huge incomes, most of them set themselves up as private companys with the intention of reducing their outgoings to the taxman.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, thekimmyowl said:

I think you will find it common practice for them to take on motgages regardless of their huge incomes, most of them set themselves up as private companys with the intention of reducing their outgoings to the taxman.

Really? Surprised by that. I don't get why anyone would pay out pretty much twice the price for a property via a mortgage if they had the cash in the bank to buy property. But, I don't earn that sort of money and therefore don't need to know the in's and out's of tax avoidance to pay the bare minimum!

1 hour ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I'd be surprised if many of our players even needed a mortgage in the first place.

We have Bannan, Palmer, Iorfa, Ihiekwe, Vauiks, Johnson, Windass, Paterson, and Smith - players we own - who are reportedly on at least £400k a year and have been earning football wages for a decade or more. If either of them have required a mortgage to buy a house in/around Sheffield, they might want to get better financial advisors!

You get all sorts.

Yes some buy a house and/or pay off a mortgage

But some players have bigger properties (mortgage what their salary can afford to get) that they then have to sell and downsize when they retire

Some just rent given they can be on the move 1 year to the next. 

Some just blow what they earn

Whilst a salary of £5-10k or more a week is eye watering to us, in those circles its amazing how quickly it can be squandered. 

Keeping up with the Joneses comes to mind, particularly when players are younger. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Really? Surprised by that. I don't get why anyone would pay out pretty much twice the price for a property via a mortgage if they had the cash in the bank to buy property. But, I don't earn that sort of money and therefore don't need to know the in's and out's of tax avoidance to pay the bare minimum!

I can tell you first hand that the vast majority of Premier League players will also have mortgage/s.  Obviously I'm not going to say where I work but it's rather amusing seeing a payslip with more zeros than you can comprehend and then see minuscule amounts deducted for shirts/tickets/Yellow cards etc.

Rule of thumb is it's better to use someone else's money for large purchases, rather than cash.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd be inclined to maybe give Palmer another year but on the premise that he's going to be backup and I mean backup. He's been with the club forever so would be good send off eventually but if he was to go - no real issue to be fair, he'll get fixed up and a stint in the MLS would be good for anyone. Why would you turn that down

Same for Bannan. Thanks for the memories and your time but we as a club as the fans have to move on. We've done it before, we'll do it again. He's on the decline and his legs aren't what they used to be, not to mention he'll be 35 this year. Some of our fans just love clinging on ... we need to free up his wages and bring in what, 2-3 players capable of doing what he does. We're being held back.

Saying that, we'll have to resign em cos Chancer won't give us any cash to bring in new players

I don’t think people want to cling onto any players but if they’re going to be replaced it has to be with better. Replace them with poorer standard players and we’re definitely going one way.

• Like 1

On 15/04/2024 at 16:23, WhiteOwl91 said:

I wish I had your optimism, certainly in the case of Bannan anyway. 

When you rely on free agents, loans and cheap signings, most 'better' players get snapped up by teams that actually have some money to spend. 

Bannan was a free signing, dont forget that. He turned out ok. Have a little optimism.