Barry Bannan & Liam Palmer

16 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

Love Bannan, but one of our issues over the years has been moving players on and actually getting a fee for them. Need to stop being sentimental and try to generate cash from players. We very rarely do.

I think DR wants to get young players in exactly for that 

Edited by daveyboy66
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, steelerian said:

Im sure we can find better for the respective salaries

I wish I had your optimism, certainly in the case of Bannan anyway. 

When you rely on free agents, loans and cheap signings, most 'better' players get snapped up by teams that actually have some money to spend. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, steelerian said:

Im sure we can find better for the respective salaries

How the fk can you be 'sure we can find better for the respective salaries' Why haven't 'we' done it before then?

What the 'Just Get Rid' crew constantly forget is that since 2018/19 when we had a competetive squad we've replaced the likes of Stephen Fletcher eventually with the Ashley Fletcher's of this world.

We started the Chansiri era signing good quality championship players.

Then we started signing average championship players. Then we started signing bad championship players.

Bannan is the last of the early Chansiri signings to go. Now we couldn't even get Connor Coventry to come here instead of poxy Charlton.

The rich idiot has become a skint idiot. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

Do you really think the 'savings' would be used for investing though? Would just go towards the rent with the huge drop in season ticket income.

Well yes, only a moron would think that we won’t/don’t use players budget on players. For all of our cretinous chairman’s failings backing the manager to get players in isn’t one I’d put at him. 

Now, that budget is shrinking / shrunk based on past failings but we still have an ample salary budget at this level. Do we get value for money from it? Well no we don’t.

We cling onto players until they retire or leave, we have historically, had an aging declining nucleus of core players, these players cost more and offer less year on year. 

I’m hopeful that either someone at club or manager has finally put a stop to that. Despite the moaning of last few windows I prefer the strategy of younger players that are developing and can get better. Unknowns that are undervalued. Frees with sell on fees from bigger clubs. 

This season we’ve seen younger players play key roles. Now they’re less consistent than 30 year olds, but they also cost less, sell for more. 

Anyhow, I’d like the next wave of Bannans and Palmers rather than the veteran versions of them.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Nero said:

How the fk can you be 'sure we can find better for the respective salaries' Why haven't 'we' done it before then?

What the 'Just Get Rid' crew constantly forget is that since 2018/19 when we had a competetive squad we've replaced the likes of Stephen Fletcher eventually with the Ashley Fletcher's of this world.

We started the Chansiri era signing good quality championship players.

Then we started signing average championship players. Then we started signing bad championship players.

Bannan is the last of the early Chansiri signings to go. Now we couldn't even get Connor Coventry to come here instead of poxy Charlton.

The rich idiot has become a skint idiot. 

So rather than try to find the next Bannan or Palmer, you’d prefer to play them until they cannot play no more. Then what, fold the club because only those two could play those roles. 

We constantly celebrate the Brighton, Brentford models of sustainability on here but were paralysed in fear at the thought of anyone leaving.

We hoard players here until the break, retire or disappear on frees. IMO finding undervalued  players isn’t our biggest problem. It’s letting them go once they’ve realised their value. 

We’ve failed to sell (off the top of my head) Lees, Forrestieri, Windass, Gregory, Johnson, Reach…. Some for marginal fees others for 9-15m. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Well yes, only a moron would think that we won’t/don’t use players budget on players. For all of our cretinous chairman’s failings backing the manager to get players in isn’t one I’d put at him. 

Now, that budget is shrinking / shrunk based on past failings but we still have an ample salary budget at this level. Do we get value for money from it? Well no we don’t.

We cling onto players until they retire or leave, we have historically, had an aging declining nucleus of core players, these players cost more and offer less year on year. 

I’m hopeful that either someone at club or manager has finally put a stop to that. Despite the moaning of last few windows I prefer the strategy of younger players that are developing and can get better. Unknowns that are undervalued. Frees with sell on fees from bigger clubs. 

This season we’ve seen younger players play key roles. Now they’re less consistent than 30 year olds, but they also cost less, sell for more. 

Anyhow, I’d like the next wave of Bannans and Palmers rather than the veteran versions of them.  

I must be a moron then - because the rent will still be the same next season - but the incomings will be way less - money saved will be used on the rent.

7 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

So rather than try to find the next Bannan or Palmer, you’d prefer to play them until they cannot play no more. Then what, fold the club because only those two could play those roles. 

We constantly celebrate the Brighton, Brentford models of sustainability on here but were paralysed in fear at the thought of anyone leaving.

We hoard players here until the break, retire or disappear on frees. IMO finding undervalued  players isn’t our biggest problem. It’s letting them go once they’ve realised their value. 

We’ve failed to sell (off the top of my head) Lees, Forrestieri, Windass, Gregory, Johnson, Reach…. Some for marginal fees others for 9-15m. 

DC said they are a badly run club. Doesn't matter what you would like to see - it is what DC sees fit that will happen.

Just now, royalowlisback said:

I must be a moron then - because the rent will still be the same next season - but the incomings will be way less - money saved will be used on the rent.

Fair play. So in your mind, we’ll not replace any of the departing players and what rely on u23s? Sounds moronic but we’ll see soon enough.

DC said they are a badly run club. Doesn't matter what you would like to see - it is what DC sees fit that will happen.

So you selectively believe some of what he says but not all of it. Hmm ok.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Fair play. So in your mind, we’ll not replace any of the departing players and what rely on u23s? Sounds moronic but we’ll see soon enough.

Where did I say we won't replace 'any' of the departing players? The discussion is about Bannan and Palmer - who will be on good wages - I never said anything about the under 23's replacing anybody.

Where did I say we won't replace 'any' of the departing players? The discussion is about Bannan and Palmer - who will be on good wages - I never said anything about the under 23's replacing anybody.

So we will have a budget next season? And you’d choose to spend it on Bannan and Palmer who are on good wages, instead  of maybe using it on 3/4 good younger, less proven players?  

6 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

So we will have a budget next season? And you’d choose to spend it on Bannan and Palmer who are on good wages, instead  of maybe using it on 3/4 good younger, less proven players?  

I have not said that either. I have said that I am not convinced that saving 'x' amount on wages on the above 2 players would then just go back into the playing budget - I think it will be used to pay the rent.

In which case getting rid of a 'cheat card' in Bannan and our Player of the Season last time we were in League One (Palmer) wouldn't be so great after all.

For years we have talked about a proper clear out, and I don't think this has ever really happened, so hopefully DR will execute this, and bring in the players we need, to either progress up the table or promotion from league 1 depending on where we finish.

In the case of Baz and Palms, they may get offered reduced terms, and become squad players rather than 1st team regulars, wont be long before we find out what is happening.