Playing out from the back

We are just not good enough to do this, in these last few games just boot it forward.

Its not just us, just watched Hull v Middlesboro game and this resulted in another goal. Same at the weekend. 

Get it forward !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Difference between playing out and hoofing it.

At times we are just a little dumb, when the pressure is on we need to be rid of it instead of forcing a pass out.

Also need the fans not to get on the players back when we are holding it in our box under no pressure at 0-0.

The amount of times people jeer and boo for us to lump it is baffling.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, island owl said:

We are just not good enough to do this, in these last few games just boot it forward.

Its not just us, just watched Hull v Middlesboro game and this resulted in another goal. Same at the weekend. 

Get it forward !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good lord

Let me just nip down to Hillsborough and tell Röhl we don't want his type coming here with their forward thinking

We just want to go back to the last 25 years of relegations and failure doing it OUR way

DOWN WITH PROGRESSION

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, Willie Henderson said:

You can actually do both, it's just a matter of picking the right time.

This...it's common sense.

If you have time and space you can do it.

If the opposites are putting you under pressure with quick players you just have to be pragmatic and kick it long.

Passing it to centre halves that are slow and uncomfortable with the ball at their feet with nippy forwards right on top of them is just suicidal.

• Like 8

Danny's shown against Norwich that he can adjust in this way when its needed.

However, he's rightfully said in an interview this morning "look, playing out from the back is my principles, I won't change that and these principles are the reason we have an opportunity to stay in this league".

I personally can't argue with that and I can't see how anyone can. What we need to do is stop moaning and groaning about it and get behind them. Now is not the time to throw our style of play out the window and go 100% route one from the first minute. Thats just ridiculous. 

Dinosaurs get fvcked please.

Interview is below

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

This...it's common sense.

If you have time and space you can do it.

If the opposites are putting you under pressure with quick players you just have to be pragmatic and kick it long.

Passing it to centre halves that are slow and uncomfortable with the ball at their feet with nippy forwards right on top of them is just suicidal.

Last two games

Played 2

Won 1

Drawn 1

Lost NONE

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

People think everything has to be black and white. EVERY game is complex and has different scenarios that call for different build up appraoches. Every team we face plays differently and has different strengths and weaknesses. We realised that playing out from the back against Norwich was incorrect. We maybe realised later than what would have been ideal. But we rectified that and found other ways to rescue the game. That is true management. I don't expect Röhl to magically know everything but he can be quite savvy for a manager at this level. A lot savvier than most we've had over the years. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Willie Henderson said:

You can actually do both, it's just a matter of picking the right time.

100%

We’ve shown we can play some lovely passing football but our defenders aren’t comfortable enough on the ball to play out from the back perfectly against the better sides who press hard. The lack of midfielders to pass to doesn’t help — if Baz is marked out of the game then we’re struggling for options without Poveda. 

I’m all for progressive football but I think we have to be pragmatic given our current situation and play to the strengths of the players we have available. The second half against Norwich was like night and day compared to the first

• Like 3

No problem with the passing it out from the back, we just move the ball too slow, each player needs 5 touches before passing it, opposition are closing in the meantime and we panic.

When the opposition push forward to close, which is what we want, we are too slow to capitalise.

• Like 1

If Stoke allow us to pass it out there's no reason we shouldn't do it. You don't need to be football's equivalent of a rocket surgeon to notice that it can be far more productive than hoofball.

But, if Stoke have any sense at all, they'll press high and won't allow us to do that. So, we'll have to apply some of our own common sense to the job.

Recognising that it's counterproductive for our back line to be faffing about with the ball when nippy forwards are all over them doesn't make you a "dinosaur", it just means you're aware that we're not so good at scoring goals that we can afford to be giving anyone a head start (Norwich aside, of course! 🙃). 

Edited by Geörge Whitebread