Owls in the snow, 1967

12 hours ago, sternlad said:

I would say that’s Wilf Smith facing the camera, number 5 Vic Mobley, number 4 Sam Ellis? Number 3 deffo Don Megson, number 6 more than likely Gerry Young? Number 8 is probably Johnny Fantham? There’s a coach there too, one of the macanearneys?

what do others think 

Ellis is 6

13 hours ago, El Wednesday said:

'The Perfect Shot' in the latest issue of When Saturday Comes magazine.

20240313_211034.jpg

My fave picture - Ive posted it before.

Its my PIN code now so Ive stopped using it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

I dont know  who prabook are but they are wrong as well .....the club historians dickenson and Brodie tell it differently in the wednesday boys book 

Strange that every bio you can research tells you differently from ‘Dickenson & Brodie?

45 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Not sure but he was our manager at that time and it looks like him in the 2nd photo.

download.jpeg.jpg.e923dd0f2e483b660d434c67ba3aaf6c.jpg

Snow1.thumb.jpg.c080d0147b70b1b4dd2262fedc432da4.jpg.da2b4f03125946c58267cffea7e1431a.jpg

gettyimages-599309212-612x612.jpg.a19d63641a601995d419f92b6be1ef45.jpg

Yep, that looks like him on the second picture. First picture looks nowt like him.

11 minutes ago, JohnnyQuinnsQuiff said:

Strange that every bio you can research tells you differently from ‘Dickenson & Brodie?

I prefer to believe the club historians over some internet websites ...its highly unlikely that there would be sheffield  tommie based in post war germany called schmidt  .it is believable the his wife  called  there son wolfgang but thought better of it  once arriving in bombed damage sheffield and changed to wilf .....the historians  may be wrong I dont know but it's a well researched book and there usually clued up  on all things wednesday 

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

I prefer to believe the club historians over some internet websites ...its highly unlikely that there would be sheffield  tommie based in post war germany called schmidt  .it is believable the his wife  called  there son wolfgang but thought better of it  once arriving in bombed damage sheffield and changed to wilf .....the historians  may be wrong I dont know but it's a well researched book and there usually clued up  on all things wednesday 

There were no internet websites when that piece stating (born Schmidt) was written in 1967. More likely that they changed their name to Smith for the exact reason you describe? Maybe Doug Cheeseman made it up for a laugh?

24 minutes ago, JohnnyQuinnsQuiff said:

There were no internet websites when that piece stating (born Schmidt) was written in 1967. More likely that they changed their name to Smith for the exact reason you describe? Maybe Doug Cheeseman made it up for a laugh?

If he wrote that piece in 1967 he was a very perceptive  man knowing that we got relegated in 1970 and would be floundering  in the lower leagues in 76 .he's  a modern day feature writer for the magazine .....

21 minutes ago, torryowl said:

If he wrote that piece in 1967 he was a very perceptive  man knowing that we got relegated in 1970 and would be floundering  in the lower leagues in 76 .he's  a modern day feature writer for the magazine .....

That’s where ‘research’ can sometimes fail you. Cheeseman’s a Graphic Designer, not a writer.