Loans

How can a team lend a player to a bigger side in the same division as a first team regular?

David Raya on loan from Brentford is just about the first choice keeper for the league leaders.  Are Brentford really saying that he isn't their best keeper?

For me, the loan system is corrupt, you shouldn't be allowed to loan players to teams in the same division.

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

Love that you’re sat there thinking about this on Christmas Eve

Tend to agree

i was reading a piece online about the Arsenal goalkeeping situation and it leapt out that Raya is on loan from Brentford. 

It just seems ludicrous that a middle of the table team is loaning a player to the team at the top challenging for the title...

On 25/12/2023 at 13:13, TheGaffer said:

What happens if he gets injured ? Is it a bit like us with Rhodes where we knew it wouldn't work out but we still had to sign him?

I’m guessing here but this is likely FFP related, and a way of shoving the fee for this years signing into a future years calculation.

From Brentford’s angle, I seem to recall there was speculation he wanted out and wouldn’t play right through the summer. They’d signed a replacement before Raya left. They’ll be happy to secure the money for a player who wanted out.

6 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

I’m guessing here but this is likely FFP related, and a way of shoving the fee for this years signing into a future years calculation.

From Brentford’s angle, I seem to recall there was speculation he wanted out and wouldn’t play right through the summer. They’d signed a replacement before Raya left. They’ll be happy to secure the money for a player who wanted out.

Yep it's a FFP thing.

We want him, but want to spend big money elsewhere first. So they agree a loan to buy deal. Player wants out so the "selling" club have no option but to agree.