Joey Barton

The former Man City midfielder, 41, had been in charge of Rovers since February 2021.

But following last month's defeat to Peterborough, he was slammed by supporters after aiming a brutal rant at one of his own players.

Barton tore into Luke Thomas for playing on while carrying an injury.

He said: "We had a mountain to climb due to Luke Thomas' decision to play on in the second-half. I've never known anything like it.

"He reported he was a bit stiff one minute before we are going back out, having had 13 minutes to speak to the physios.

"He was told to go out and test it. But two minutes into the second-half his side is compromised because he can't run, he feels the hamstring.

"In his infinite wisdom, I don't know why he presses the ball and doesn't sit on the pitch so the ref can stop the game and we can get the sub on.

"In the midst of that chaotic spell of two minutes, we are compromised from within and they score the second goal.

"I wish I could fine him and I'll be speaking to the CEO about that because it's a ludicrous decision, he shouldn't get paid this week for what he's done because he has put us 2-0 down.

One idiotic young boy, I can't even call him a man

Joey Barton

"It's frustrating, we have got to be better than that. You come to a good place like Peterborough, you can't play with ten men, especially in wide areas because they will punish you."

Asked if it was a mistake caused by the 24-year-old's inexperience, Barton snapped back, continuing: "When does the young man stop?

"How many times can we put his lethargy in moments down to being young? At some point the penny has got to drop.

"If you are injured, fine, come off the pitch, nobody has got a problem with that.

"Going back out and making stupid decisions just compromises your team-mates and all our hard work is undone because of a decision by one of our players.

"I'm so frustrated with him, we have given him enormous backing at this club and he lets himself down with stupidity."

In another interview he called Thomas "one idiotic young boy – I can’t even call him a man."

19 hours ago, markg said:

But I thought he was a winner, like Scott Brown?

Given the situation he was operating in, I actually felt that Brown was hard done by.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him carve out a solid managerial career. Barton, however, will never be any good.

• Like 2