EFL 23/24

4 minutes ago, Bluesteel. said:

Shows how the transfer strategy of champ clubs has changed that Clarke Harris, Poku, Mason Clarke and Aaron Collins are all still in L1…

Thing is, you'd have to pay at least a few million to get any of them. 

Not that many clubs in the Championship have that sort of money to throw about. 

Clarke and Poku are the ones I'd take tbh. 

Really not all that fussed about Clarke-Harris, though no denying his ability to score plenty in the third tier. 

Edited by SiJ

11 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Thing is, you'd have to pay at least a few million to get any of them. 

Not that many clubs in the Championship have that sort of money to throw about. 

Clarke and Poku are the ones I'd take tbh. 

Really not all that fussed about Clarke-Harris, though no denying his ability to score plenty in the third tier. 

Yeah you’re right but that’s what I’m getting at as around the time DC came here in the middle of the last decade teams were spending that kind of money quite freely. Now they are effectively priced out of a move and these lower league clubs might not get anything for some of them or be forced in the final year to agree a sensible price. Even then it will be someone who’s probably just sold a player that gets them.

Sometimes I think some of our fans haven’t picked up on this when judging our current approach. We are forced to do what we are doing, or go ultra short term on loans and older players.

I think Clarke Harris is a bit of a Rhodes ie he can’t really do anything but the final/difficult bit. But to be fair to him, he’s shown that with a couple of flying wingers either side of him he gets goals. He’d have struggled for us last season in that DM team but if we are going for a Peterborough style approach he might do ok. Same applies to smith though I think as he won’t be running the wide channels as much now 

Bolton are a good side

I would have liked us to sign maghoma on loan from Brentford , he will do very well at Bolton.  I would see if Brentford would be up for loaning him to us in jan as it would be a step up for him.  Good

player .

1 hour ago, Bluesteel. said:

Shows how the transfer strategy of champ clubs has changed that Clarke Harris, Poku, Mason Clarke and Aaron Collins are all still in L1…

Poku could have put the famous comeback to ruin. Seemed very talented but just didn’t quite finish the chances. I’d have had signed him in a heartbeat. 

23 minutes ago, Alb1owl said:

Poku could have put the famous comeback to ruin. Seemed very talented but just didn’t quite finish the chances. I’d have had signed him in a heartbeat. 

Mason Clarke and Jade Jones look the real talents to me. A bit more variation but Poku quicker. Would have any of them here if offered.

Just now, Bluesteel. said:

Darren at the game indeed. Might just be taking in a game but I’m sure if boot was on the other foot and Warne was in the stand at Hillsborough during a bad run he’d  surely not like that?

IMG_7590.jpeg

Tbf he did play for them, so it’s not the same as Warne at S6. And Derby won last weekend, so it’s not like he’s under pressure. That might change now though. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Tbf he did play for them, so it’s not the same as Warne at S6. And Derby won last weekend, so it’s not like he’s under pressure. That might change now though. 

True they did win last game. But if it was last season at Hillsborough and we’d lost twice at home, and a former player ie Di Canio or Dean Smith just happened to be there. It always causes talk and increases some pressure.

9 hours ago, owls maniac said:

Can see Posh going up. They are just superb at unearthing talented forwards who they sell for millions. 

Is Warne on thin ice at Derby? Crap start for them. 

Barry Fry still leads the scouting and recruitment at posh.  He is unbelievably good at finding these players and has the best network of contacts in the game probably in footballing history.  Still works full time despite having had about 5  heart attacks !

• Like 1