Euro 2028 UK&Ireland Bid

Think the host ground selection is really poor,  I’m by no means claiming Hillsborough is in a current condition to be considered 

But to overlook Sheffield the home of football I can’t help thinking is really poor,  surely there could’ve been some investment offered to the city/clubs by the FA to bring a venue upto spec ?? Great selling point to UEFA surely ? 

AAB38C2C-B382-49A3-B0D3-FB05E49E9DAC.png

Hardly a surprise is it. 

We are never going to be considered due to all the negative press that surrounds Hillsborough (see all the recent nonsense with Newcastle). 

The Lane is too small and smells like sh*t. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

I don't think we should have it at all after the complete disgrace of the last Euro final day.

Yeh it’s a fair point, did wonder myself 

For what it’s worth, I don’t think the bid will be successful 

20 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

I don't think we should have it at all after the complete disgrace of the last Euro final day.

So because some idiots rushed the stadium you think not just our nation, but Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland should also be punished. Thats logical.

7 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

So because some idiots rushed the stadium you think not just our nation, but Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland should also be punished. Thats logical.

No, I think if it was logistically possible then I think Wales, Scotland, NI and ROI should hold it without us.

The English people and football fans all that finals day were a complete embarrassment.  I just don't think we deserve to have that opportunity again. 

My opinion, I know I'm in the minority. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

No, I think if it was logistically possible then I think Wales, Scotland, NI and ROI should hold it without us.

The English people and football fans all that finals day were a complete embarrassment.  I just don't think we deserve to have that opportunity again. 

Like a sins of the father type thing

• Like 1

I think its good🤷‍♂️ spread around, only 2 in London was worried they would put 3 there. 

I don't think there is any competition really other than Turkey or the Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia bid. 

Will be good to have here. 

When Old Trafford and Anfield aren’t in the final stadium selection, there wasn’t a chance in hell Sheffield would host games!

Give me those two stadiums over Everton’s new stadium and the Etihad any day of the week - two traditional stadiums packed with footballing memories. Just shows what football is about these days when two historic stadiums are overlooked for new bowls.

As for the Euros, I’d rather bid for a World Cup again instead.

Surprised Hampden has got the nod - surely they must be upgrading it?

Both Celtic and Rangers have much better grounds - suppose it's politically easier to use Hampden

Whats the Belfast stadium? Is it Windsor Park upgraded or a new stadium?

Sadly both Sheffield stadiums are miles behind the others chosen and i guess capacity comes into it too

4 minutes ago, scram said:

Both Celtic and Rangers have much better grounds - suppose it's politically easier to use Hampden

Sadly both Sheffield stadiums are miles behind the others chosen and i guess capacity comes into it too

The northern Ireland one is a derelict gaelic football stadium which hasn't been used since 2013 and is being redeveloped which sounds good

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, scram said:

Yeah, suspect choosing one of the Old Firm over the other is not worth the hassle.

I personally don’t like multi country bids, let alone 5 nations. Especially as England could comfortably hold it alone. But UEFA seem to be encouraging such joint bids.

11 hours ago, Bannofan said:

Not an excuse but it was just after lockdown and I think people were a bit nuts. 

Look at how France handled the CL final last year. 

No country has an unblemished record.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Yeah, suspect choosing one of the Old Firm over the other is not worth the hassle.

I personally don’t like multi country bids, let alone 5 nations. Especially as England could comfortably hold it alone. But UEFA seem to be encouraging such joint bids.

At least we are a small country and its not too much hassle going from Hampden to Cardiff, minus the rip off rail costs. 

The last Euros spread across all of Europe was absurd. 

7 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Not an excuse but it was just after lockdown and I think people were a bit nuts. 

Look at how France handled the CL final last year. 

No country has an unblemished record.

Good point.

I guess it you could say it was a perfect storm of   post covid freedom/summer sun/ English drugs/drinking culture/ English entitlement &  poor  planning and security  by Wembley, the FA and UEFA.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

At least we are a small country and its not too much hassle going from Hampden to Cardiff, minus the rip off rail costs. 

The last Euros spread across all of Europe was absurd. 

True. Just think that 5 qualification places being automatically taken is a little much.

That said, now the tournament is expand everyone bar San Marino will be there anyway.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

True. Just think that 5 qualification places being automatically taken is a little much.

That said, now the tournament is expand everyone bar San Marino will be there anyway.

It's the only way that some of them will qualify!  But from what I've read there's no guarantee that all 5 host nations would get automatic qualification - there's never been more than 2 host nations for the Euros before (barring the weird last one which was all over the place) so a 5 nation tournament is unprecedented. All 3 hosts qualify for the next World Cup (2 of them would've been pretty much guaranteed qualification from weak groups anyway) but it's not confirmed for the Euros.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bannofan said:

Good point.

I guess it you could say it was a perfect storm of   post covid freedom/summer sun/ English drugs/drinking culture/ English entitlement &  poor  planning and security  by Wembley, the FA and UEFA.

Another big factor is the first international final we'd been in nigh on 60 years

The sense of excitement was incredible

We could have sold out that game 4 times over and there'd still have been huge gatherings around the country

I don't think we should bid for the finals in a shared bid - it's very contrived on both parts - 1, London alone could nearly host the tournament never mind the rest of the country - 2, let the other home nations bid to host - they'll be dominated by the England component if it's a joint bid including us

• Like 3