Attending matches in Europe

Nut

Dusseldorf is a good base in Germany - good beer/pubs nightlife but importantly lots of other Bundesliga clubs are close by - and easy to get to by train plus your match ticket can be used as your train ticket to the match which saves you money getting around.

You have Koln,Bayer Leverkusen,Schalke O4,Dortmund,VFL Bochum and Borussia Monchengladbach in Bundesliga 1 to choose.which are up to an hour or so away by train. Dont rule going to a Bundesliga 2 game Fortuna Dusseldorf average 29,000- also been to MSV Duisburg who play in Bundesliga 3.Rot Weiss Essen nearby is also a Bundesliga 3 team. 

• Like 3

Thanks Kenny. All good options and no problem with Bundesliga 2. The problem we have is that we want to book flights now but tickets aren't on sale for a lot of the matches, so we're looking for somewhere with decent nightlife, and a football stadium with a decent capacity that is usually a few thousand short of being a sellout for most matches. 

Get Futbology Premium on your phone and you can see any game in any location on whatever date.

I've been to Benfica, it's brilliant, a full day experience. There's also other teams on in Lisbon and not just Sporting. Casa Pia are another top tier team, their first season in the top for league for decades. They were playing in the National Stadium, where Celtic's famous Lisbon Lions won the Champions League, but might be back in their main stadium. There's also two Beleneses teams, the hated one playing in the National Stadium and the other playing at the Restolo which looks good. There's also a lot of non-league, plus Benfica and Sporting's B teams.

I've also been to Vienna, which is a bit of a sleeper pick. Rapid has a massive wall of ultras much like you see at Dortmund and is the working class club, Austria Wien has smaller fan base but also has its ultras and is a team I fell in love with while I was over there. There's also a lot of lower league clubs, like Modling, Floridsdorfer, First Vienna and Wiener SC. Was great fun over there.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eaton_Swfc said:

I'm a member at Lazio. 

Went 3 or 4 games per season home and away pre baby ... 

Can't recommend enough. Milan is always cheap for flights and garunteed one of the teams will be at home. 

Atalanta is a short distance away too. Monza in Serie A now as well.

• Thanks 1

I saw AC Milan V Empoli several years back, one of the worst games of football I have ever seen . I don't remember there being much around the stadium to do in terms of bars and places to eat - but I wasn't really looking for them. If you do go to Milan make sure you all take your passports with you when you pick up your tickets. 

Madrid was ace, saw Real V Sevilla, easy to pick up tickets while you are there - just ignore all the dodgy touts hanging around the ground. Plenty of bars near the ground and I love Madrid as a city.

2 hours ago, BridportOwl said:

I saw AC Milan V Empoli several years back, one of the worst games of football I have ever seen . I don't remember there being much around the stadium to do in terms of bars and places to eat - but I wasn't really looking for them. If you do go to Milan make sure you all take your passports with you when you pick up your tickets. 

Madrid was ace, saw Real V Sevilla, easy to pick up tickets while you are there - just ignore all the dodgy touts hanging around the ground. Plenty of bars near the ground and I love Madrid as a city.

A note that much like this you need to have a passport on you to attend matches in Portugal, you have to give your Passport number when booking and they do spot checks 

• Like 1

Depends what you're after. 

St Pauli is a good weekend on the sauce, as is Lverkusen and Schalke. 

Porto and Benfica for the sun and city 

Milan and Roma are on my list to do, as is Dortmund and Ajax though the latter 2 are much harder to get tickets for. 

Madrid and Barca if you fancy a bit more sun, or if you wana get of the beaten track Club Bruges, given Bruges is a cracking city. 

Monaco and Marseille also worth a shout. 

15 hours ago, jamsandwich said:

Got 20euro tickets to see a Benfica CL game too, and went to Inter at the San Siro, just bought tickets off their website.

Benfica is bloody amazing. I ended up in the away end for their Champions League match against PSG, got sexually assaulted by a security guard, then saw a Messi classic goal. Was certainly a night to remember. 

On 16/02/2023 at 10:49, Eaton_Swfc said:

I'm a member at Lazio. 

Went 3 or 4 games per season home and away pre baby ... 

Can't recommend enough. Milan is always cheap for flights and garunteed one of the teams will be at home. 

I watch a lot of Serie A. Go to fiorentina as a kind of informal link with Wednesday they have…

There’s often a ‘Sheffield’ banner in the Olympico when Lazio play. Is that you? 

7 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

I watch a lot of Serie A. Go to fiorentina as a kind of informal link with Wednesday they have…

There’s often a ‘Sheffield’ banner in the Olympico when Lazio play. Is that you? 

Certainly is mate. Got a couple of mates I've made there who take the banner around for me, although I paid for it 🤣

Also got a smaller one I've taken to away games a few times. I'll see if I've got a photo I can post hang on ... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

That’s not the one I see. There’s a simple ‘Sheffield’ one that I have seen in various points opposite the dugouts. You’re obviously spreading the word 😄

No thats still mine as well, I've got one that lives at the olimpico. Just says SHEFFIELD with an England badge. 

The smaller one in my photo stays with me and I take it to away games 😉

35 minutes ago, Eaton_Swfc said:

No thats still mine as well, I've got one that lives at the olimpico. Just says SHEFFIELD with an England badge. 

The smaller one in my photo stays with me and I take it to away games 😉

Ah, yes that’s the one I see.

Went to Fiorentina v Lazio in 2019 when Ribery pushed ref. If you get it right it’s great going to Italian football. Do you have a regular contact/ group you join?