Saudi Arabians buying Liverpool and/or Man United?

Shezza

Football is so far removed from the game I fell in love with it's untrue.

And heartbreaking.

Even sadder is the fact that Wednesday really are light years behind now. If United go up they will probably be taken over.

It's not sour grapes but I'm not sure I want any part of the whole thing, proud clubs selling their soul to the devil.

• Like 4

Why would anyone else buy a football club? They're black holes for money outside of a tiny, tiny minority of players who generate merchandise revenue, and prize money is dwarfed by transfer and wage fees. Western billionaires have no desire or need to exchange their wealth for attention and status that elite football brings, so for as long as the sport is the freakish money spinner it is, the clubs exist to be exploited for ego and attention, not to generate any money or glory.

2 hours ago, BOOFABI said:

Why would anyone else buy a football club? They're black holes for money outside of a tiny, tiny minority of players who generate merchandise revenue, and prize money is dwarfed by transfer and wage fees. Western billionaires have no desire or need to exchange their wealth for attention and status that elite football brings, so for as long as the sport is the freakish money spinner it is, the clubs exist to be exploited for ego and attention, not to generate any money or glory.

I largely agree, but it is possible to make a profit by eventually selling on.

I think Liverpool were bought for 300 million by FSG and will likely be sold for 3 to 4 billion. By and large, Liverpool have been run within their means, recruitment based around selling players and cash generated by the business. Would imagine FSG (like the Glazers) have taken cash out of the business in the form of dividends or something, but we never hear about it because they've done a good job.

Thing is, for whoever comes in now, I would imagine it'll be much harder to grow the business and make Liverpool much more valuable than they are right now, hence the links with gulf states. For them, it's less about making money and much more a vanity/sport washing project. 

It's no coincidence that both Liverpool and Man U are both up for sale inho. Both American owned and both were desperate to join the Super League.

Both clearly feel now is the time to get out and cash in. The idea though that we could have three clubs effectively owned by Saudi Arabia is just laughable though. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spuddy01 said:

I wonder if Man Utd or Liverpool will reject any bids from them. 

I mean, they kicked up a big enough fuss to try and stop them buying Newcastle! 

The self righteous hypocrite fans will have a pickle right enough.

You would think both clubs are ethical charities who fund all their spending by saving the world.