Messi - How long can he keep going ? đź‘€

Kopparberg

2 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Imagine working extremely hard all your life to be an amazing athlete and footballer, providing for your family and breaking goal scoring and appearance records, only for people to say “yeah, but you’re no Messi are you”.  It’s no wonder the guy has a chip on his shoulder.  I don’t see why there needs to be a debate 

And what I mean by this, is why keep bringing Ronaldo into a thread about Messi? Let it go 

45 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

And what I mean by this, is why keep bringing Ronaldo into a thread about Messi? Let it go 

It’s all football is these days. Everything is a comparison. Every day - “who is better, shearer or Kane” etc 

4 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

Imagine working extremely hard all your life to be an amazing athlete and footballer, providing for your family and breaking goal scoring and appearance records, only for people to say “yeah, but you’re no Messi are you”.  It’s no wonder the guy has a chip on his shoulder.  I don’t see why there needs to be a debate 

Aye.

Its Messi who gets his records constantly dismissed by the Ronaldo fan boys.

Same tired old arguments which are b*llocks.

Didn't play in England as if thats an essential requirement. I'm guessing bossing English teams in CL will have to do.

The Spanish League is rubbish, lets discount Ronaldos and other players  goals as well.

Never done it for Argentina. Only 90 goals and him being key for them in tournaments.

Chuck in the never won a WC criticism which is thrown at him as well. Came damn close in 2014 and lost a very close final.

We will have to discard and trash a raft of great players then based on this metric.

On 13/10/2022 at 20:44, g-owls said:

Messi

Maradona

Ronaldinho

Those three for me, are the most technically gifted footballers in my lifetime. The most easy on the eye when watching a player simply play the way he’d have done back in the playground. 

Football is about entertainment. Ronaldo is a brilliant player with a phenomenal record that only years of dedication and sacrifice could bring, but he’s never possessed that natural genius those three did, and still has in Messi’s case.

Messi not only combined the desire and commitment but added that special quality of unpredictable genius which at any given time would simply leave you saying “wow”

Ronaldinho constantly overlooked because he waned early in his career, but a phenomenal player. 

Ronaldinho was special. 

Big shout out to Zidane too. 

Think he was probably the best player in the world for a few seasons at the turn of the century. Amazing player who could do just about everything and delivered in the absolute biggest of games. 

21 hours ago, Quickly Kevin said:

Aye.

Its Messi who gets his records constantly dismissed by the Ronaldo fan boys.

Same tired old arguments which are b*llocks.

Didn't play in England as if thats an essential requirement. I'm guessing bossing English teams in CL will have to do.

The Spanish League is rubbish, lets discount Ronaldos and other players  goals as well.

Never done it for Argentina. Only 90 goals and him being key for them in tournaments.

Chuck in the never won a WC criticism which is thrown at him as well. Came damn close in 2014 and lost a very close final.

We will have to discard and trash a raft of great players then based on this metric.

I'd rather watch Messi than Ronaldo if that helps.

On 15/10/2022 at 22:22, SiJ said:

Ronaldinho was special. 

Big shout out to Zidane too. 

Think he was probably the best player in the world for a few seasons at the turn of the century. Amazing player who could do just about everything and delivered in the absolute biggest of games. 

Zidane was my favourite player of his time.

Not in the same league as Messi when it comes to being able to single-handedly win a match, but so much to be admired; strong, good passer, scored goals.

Roy Keane is on record as saying Zidane is the toughest opponent he came up against and specifically mentioned his sheer physical power. 

• Like 1