Forcing through transfers..

Just read this on BBC...

I have pushed a move myself - Antonio

BBC Radio 5 Live

Deadline day drama was one of the main talking points on the latest Footballer’s FootballPodcast, with Michail Antonio describing how he once managed to force a move.

The West Ham striker said: “I’m not going to say how I did it. It probably wasn’t the right thing to do, but it could the move done. No, actually, it was the right thing to do because I got what I wanted at the end of the day. People frowned upon it, but it’s worked out for the best.”

Newcastle striker Callum Wilson added: “When you’re a football player, it’s a short career at the end of the day. Sometimes, it’s just time to move on, time to take a different path. Ultimately, players have quite a bit of power.

“I’ve seen it happen time and time again. As a player, you can understand it, but you just don’t want it having a negative impact on what your current squad are going to do. As long as it’s not disrespectful to the players, I just leave players to their own devices.”

Do we reckon Antonio is on about the move to Forest from us or the move to West Ham?

Go easy on me, spent years browsing on here without posting anything 🙂 (Classic armchair fan I'm afraid...)

• Like 1

It might have been in one of the Secret Footballer books I read, but I remember something along the lines of:

A player was trying to force a move so was kicking the ball away in training etc, so the manager lost patience and sent him home, a few minutes later the player drove his Range Rover across the middle of the training pitch to ask one of his mates if he fancied coming round to his after training. 

Don't think it was him moving from us to Forest. 

Saw an interview where he was effectively told one day we had accepted a bid (which he was shocked about) and Stuart Gray told him that he should move on as he believed Antonio's ceiling was much higher than us. 

Think Stuart might have had a point. Still - imagine if he had stuck around a few more seasons and being a part of that 2015/2016 play off team...

On 02/09/2022 at 23:07, SiJ said:

Don't think it was him moving from us to Forest. 

Saw an interview where he was effectively told one day we had accepted a bid (which he was shocked about) and Stuart Gray told him that he should move on as he believed Antonio's ceiling was much higher than us. 

Think Stuart might have had a point. Still - imagine if he had stuck around a few more seasons and being a part of that 2015/2016 play off team...

Knowing our luck he would have snapped a hoof and missed the bloody season.

2 hours ago, Burnsie said:

whatever happened to "tapping up".

Now its all "has already agreed personal terms" before a bid is accepeted 

Unfortunately agents are so familiar now with owners, DOF's etc that they will always be having conversations if they are interested in a player.

2 hours ago, Burnsie said:

whatever happened to "tapping up".

Now its all "has already agreed personal terms" before a bid is accepeted 

Doesn't really exist now. 

The top players/agents have even more power and influence than they one did. 

Mane in the summer had agreed personal terms with Bayern before they'd even got close to getting a fee sorted with Liverpool. 

On 09/09/2022 at 12:21, markg said:

Don’t blame players for doing it tbh. 

Yep as it works both ways.  

I once worked with the late Jamie Vincent’s mother in law at the time he was at Pompey and one day he came home from training and told his wife he’d been loaned to Walsall without his approval. So they had to move to Birmingham leaving their family (further) down south.  Maybe that happens less often these days 

Think there should be some reform on this.

I agree it’s a short career but, they don’t moan when they’re signing for obscene signing on fees, ‘loyalty’ lol bonus’ etc.

I think mandatory release fees should be in every contract, agreed between both the players and clubs.