Jordan Rhodes tears

Guest DoesJackHunt
1 minute ago, punkskaphil said:

Clearly.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, given the kind of player he is and has been, and given what I've observed of him during his career, including his time with us. Some fans will look to that one moment in the Play-offs, leap to totally unfounded conclusions, and then stay angry about it for years and years to come. Can't really do anything about that, I suppose.

I’m giving him pelters based on the fact the only penalty he’s ever bottled was against the team he “went home to”

Including one in a shoot out against us.

if you bottle one for us, despite taking and scoring one in a play off final (even more pressure) for the team you then go on to bottle taking one against. Then even if you genuinely had a crisis of confidence in the moment it’s fair for the fans of the club you let down and then stuck the knife into to call you a massive thumbwavingwanker!

1 hour ago, parajack said:

We (including you) are still talking about it because a thread was started and we are interested enough to want to post A number of poor decisions,transfers, and poor player displays have left us in Div3 it’s perfectly normal to discuss it

Fair point.

I really need to stop clicking on threads just to see what poo is being spouted.

1 hour ago, quinnssweetshop said:

You seem to think that people are just being vindictive. But our current situation is also down to players like Rhodes and Reach. Not giving a sod about our descent down the league to LAST place. That tends to stick in the throat a bit.

I don't know what people's motivations are, to be honest.

As I've said, I just think the penalty incident has been blown out of proportion and there are many other reasons to criticised his performances in a Wednesday shirt which I'd give precedence above that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

C'mon, he didn't even have a touch of the ball yesterday.

It's because of his history that he's playing for these teams.  

Wasn't it 4 Wednesday managers that didn't fancy playing him.

He scored 9 in 11 starts for Norwich and if it wasn't for their fundamental aversion to paying  for players (or Chansiri's over the top valuation, depending on what you believe) he would have signed for them. I doubt he featured regularly for Huddersfield this season based purely on just nostalgia..

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, DoesJackHunt said:

I’m giving him pelters based on the fact the only penalty he’s ever bottled was against the team he “went home to”

Including one in a shoot out against us.

if you bottle one for us, despite taking and scoring one in a play off final (even more pressure) for the team you then go on to bottle taking one against. Then even if you genuinely had a crisis of confidence in the moment it’s fair for the fans of the club you let down and then stuck the knife into to call you a massive thumbwavingwanker!

He wasn't in the named takers for Huddersfield in the 2012 final either and only took one after the named takers had gone already. He may well have said exactly the same thing to his manager then, or maybe he was in a more confident frame of mind having not recently missed an important penalty in a league game (as he had done for us). Who knows? Surely you'd want the players showing the most confidence at that moment to step up first?

I remember Chris Waddle taking and missing a penalty in an FA Cup shoot-out for us, when he clearly had no confidence to take it after his famous World Cup miss. I wonder how many of our fans would've been angry for years to come if he'd asked not to take one.

Guest DoesJackHunt
3 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

He wasn't in the named takers for Huddersfield in the 2012 final either and only took one after the named takers had gone already. He may well have said exactly the same thing to his manager then, or maybe he was in a more confident frame of mind having not recently missed an important penalty in a league game (as he had done for us). Who knows? Surely you'd want the players showing the most confidence at that moment to step up first?

I remember Chris Waddle taking and missing a penalty in an FA Cup shoot-out for us, when he clearly had no confidence to take it after his famous World Cup miss. I wonder how many of our fans would've been angry for years to come if he'd asked not to take one.

Just take one and miss it, someone’s going to. don’t not take one 

Guest DoesJackHunt
2 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

Yeah, definitely better to force the players who are lacking confidence to go first. Always the best tactic.

It kicking the ball in the net from 12 yards.

It’s not diffusing a bomb 

Guest DoesJackHunt

You're right, no pressure on it at all. A penalty shoot-out is a totally calm and simple scenario.

I’m not saying that but it’s not life or death is it. 
No one wants to miss a penalty but in a shoot out, eventually someone will. It could be you but don’t not take one. 

2 minutes ago, DoesJackHunt said:

I’m not saying that but it’s not life or death is it. 
No one wants to miss a penalty but in a shoot out, eventually someone will. It could be you but don’t not take one. 

And all I'm saying is that if you're lacking confidence or feeling out-of-sorts for any reason then the correct thing is to be honest and communicate that to your manager so they can assess it and make their decision on the order to send players forward, which is what he did, rather than just keep quiet about it. And that shouldn't lead to fans giving you 'pelters' about it for years and years to come, or having them say that your contract should've been immediately terminated as if it's some kind of gross negligence (as some of our fans do). I'm sure if CC had insisted on Rhodes taking one earlier in the order, he would've been professional enough to have stepped up. And had the shoot-out continued he would've eventually had no choice but to take one anyway.

• Like 1

Guest DoesJackHunt
28 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Yep nice bloke

No idea why such a bitter jealous and nasty thread has been started 

Don’t think everyone is as keen on him as you are. 
I’m not sure it’s bitter, jealous or nasty.

More let down, confused and betrayed. 

35 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Yep nice bloke

When things don't work out (which is sadly a common occurrence) our fans absolutely love to make a scapegoat out of someone.

Guest DoesJackHunt

And all I'm saying is that if you're lacking confidence or feeling out-of-sorts for any reason then the correct thing is to be honest and communicate that to your manager so they can assess it and make their decision on the order to send players forward, which is what he did, rather than just keep quiet about it. And that shouldn't lead to fans giving you 'pelters' about it for years and years to come, or having them say that your contract should've been immediately terminated as if it's some kind of gross negligence (as some of our fans do). I'm sure if CC had insisted on Rhodes taking one earlier in the order, he would've been professional enough to have stepped up. And had the shoot-out continued he would've eventually had no choice but to take one anyway.

Fair enough but what I’m saying is there are other factors in this story that stimulate people with a suspicious mind. 
Unless we’re in Jordan’s head we don’t know what went on exactly but I find it difficult to believe that as a penalty taker who had scored one in a playoff final, you don’t fancy it,  even if your nervous you just get on with it don’t you, unless there were other reasons why you didn’t want to take one. For example having significant ties to the club the penalty was against. 
look it will always smell a bit fishy to me and I don’t think I’m the only guy who sees it like this. 

15 minutes ago, DoesJackHunt said:

...but I find it difficult to believe that as a penalty taker who had scored one in a playoff final, you don’t fancy it,  even if your nervous you just get on with it don’t you...

If you're out of form, recently missed an important penalty and not feeling confident, I think you have every right to communicate to your manager that you're not feeling good about it and it might be worth letting others go first. The fact it was against Huddersfield may have made it seem a bit 'fishy', but it could equally have just been unlucky coincidence (as I pointed out earlier, he'd scored several goals against Huddersfield since leaving them, including a hat-trick, so he obviously didn't have a problem playing against them).

Having suspicions about it is fine, but the level of rage and bile that gets directed at him whenever he's mentioned with no actual genuine evidence behind it, just suspicion, says a lot more about the mindset of our own fans.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Yep nice bloke

I've no idea on whether he's nice or not but as a fan I was disapointed with his time here.

But the level of anger in this thread is a bit weird. He has moved on and so have we. 

• Like 1