Jordan Rhodes tears

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

i prefer to think he said he wasnt confident taking one and would prefer not to which is different from refusing ....

Yeah, that's what Carvalhal said, but it just doesn't sound as attention-grabbing, does it?

:ph34r:

"He said he did not feel confident.

"The worst thing I could have done was force him to take one.

"It would have been a big mistake to make him take one. It's one of the worst things you can do to a player.

"The five players who took them were the ones who had practised them best and said that they wanted to take them."

• Thanks 3

Surely if he wanted Huddersfield to win that much he steps up and puts it wide? By not taking it he's given us a chance to score by taking it he can affect the out come?

PS he doesn't play for us so I'm not bothered about him either way, it's in the past like brown, Bothroyd Abdi.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Steelman said:

Loser mentality mate.

Unfortunately it’s ingrained in too many of our fans. 

I know,and it IS part of the problem............so many fans happy not only to tolerate it,but to happily keep on shelling out their hard earned money,Year in,Year out....

Even heard someone(i wont name him) on Radio Sheffield  defend the player who 'high fived' another after our opposition scored....

No wonder TP wanted out....

Not just a matter of a difference of opinion, the happy clapping at times is ridiculous  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Yeah, that's what Carvalhal said, but it just doesn't sound as attention-grabbing, does it?

:ph34r:

"He said he did not feel confident.

"The worst thing I could have done was force him to take one.

"It would have been a big mistake to make him take one. It's one of the worst things you can do to a player.

"The five players who took them were the ones who had practised them best and said that they wanted to take them."

Course he said that,it was his job to look out for his player,didnt CC make some similar noises when FF didnt get on the coach to Norwich?.....make sure the fan base didnt get on there back?

2 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

To comment that it’s a sh*te thread, obviously.

Do you only want comments that agree with this drivel? 

Ime not a Mod,its you that thinks the threads 'unworthy'..if its not of interest jog past it,others obviously do find it interesting enough to post...

5 minutes ago, parajack said:

Course he said that,it was his job to look out for his player,didnt CC make some similar noises when FF didnt get on the coach to Norwich?.....make sure the fan base didnt get on there back?

Not that I recall, no. From what I remember, he said he was disappointed with Forestieri.

If he wanted to protect Rhodes, he could have just said that he wasn't one of the five planned penalty takers, or that he chose who was going to take them 

The fact that he didn't, suggests that what he said was fairly open and honest to me.

I'm not sure why we're still discussing this five years after the event, to be honest? 

Nothing anyone's said has changed my opinion that for all Rhodes' faults during his time here, letting his manager know that he wasn't feeling confident about taking a penalty was the right thing to do in the circumstances.

We can keep going round and round in circles, but I really don't see the point.

10 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'm not sure why we're still discussing this five years after the event, to be honest? 

Because five years on, the financial implications of a player that couldn't be arsed to try for us and would have sooner bottled out of taking a penalty, is still felt at the club. His wages helped cripple the club. But what did he care ?  Not even able to take a penalty. So, yes, five years on. We are still a tad peeved at what he did.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, Tony Pulis said:

Sorry if this is an unpopular opinion...

I always liked Rhodes.

I don't dislike him but think to many he symbolises all there mistakes we made in the transfer market and new contracts that lead to embargo's, selling the stadium, points deduction.

Big money transfer, big name with an impressive CV, someone for years we would never hope to attract and was a big flop and seemed to just being going through the motions.

Rhodes not taking a pen in a vital penalty shoot out does stick in everyones mind more than anything else that happened that season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Because five years on, the financial implications of a player that couldn't be arsed to try for us and would have sooner bottled out of taking a penalty, is still felt at the club. His wages helped cripple the club. But what did he care ?  Not even able to take a penalty. So, yes, five years on. We are still a tad peeved at what he did.

If that's how you view it, then yeah, cling on to your annoyance for as long as you like.

As I've said, I didn't view it that way at the time, and nor do I now. 

For whatever reason, he wasn't feeling confident. Rather than keep quiet about that, he let his manager know, so that five more confident players could go ahead of him.

I don't have a problem with that; it was in the best interests of the team.

There were all sorts of issues around Rhodes' performances during his time here which might be criticised, and we could spend all day going into the whys and wherefores behind his lack of confidence, but that decision in that moment was fair enough as far as I'm concerned.

1 hour ago, Gbear1867 said:

Well, since he signed for Wednesday he's got one promotion to the premier league with Norwich on his CV and yesterday narrowly missed out on a second, so he obviously offers something. 

He was mainly a sub in both seasons. He got 9 goals for Norwich hardly earth shattering, they didn’t break the bank to keep him though did they.

I would have to double check but I think he scored a whopping 4 goals for Huddersfield this season.

Edited by sexpistol
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TodwickOwl said:

He scores 3 times and played 21 times out of 46 games last year. 

Hardly firing them to promotion is he? 

Not saying he is but he's played in two teams that either got promotion or nearly got promotion (3 if you include our failed attempt against Hudds) so he obviously has something to offer. I doubt a succession of different managers pick him because he's a nice bloke.

Guest DoesJackHunt
13 hours ago, Tony Pulis said:

One of them was in a play-off semi... The other was in first round of League Cup.

But he has experience of scoring a penalty previously in the play off final! 

Coincidentally, that penalty was for the opposition on the day. 
I find it difficult to believe that this was a confidence thing.

I would love to know at what stage the management team were made aware he didn’t want to take one.

If he had gone to them in advance of the game and told them. “Look, I’m really struggling for confidence / mentally at the moment and I really don’t fancy a penalty if it goes to a shoot out” then fair enough.

If his confidence issues came to large when the game went to penalties, then given the other factors about the club it was against and that he took one for them against us since that day in a shoot out. I would say he’s completely mugged us off.

Does anyone know at what point Jordan Rhodes, the professional football player and striker who had taken loads of penalties and high pressured ones at that, decided that he was suddenly unable to kick a ball in a net from 12 yards with only the keeper to beat? 

2 hours ago, Gbear1867 said:

Well, since he signed for Wednesday he's got one promotion to the premier league with Norwich on his CV and yesterday narrowly missed out on a second, so he obviously offers something. 

C'mon, he didn't even have a touch of the ball yesterday.

It's because of his history that he's playing for these teams.  

Wasn't it 4 Wednesday managers that didn't fancy playing him.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, DoesJackHunt said:

But he has experience of scoring a penalty previously in the play off final! 

Coincidentally, that penalty was for the opposition on the day. 
I find it difficult to believe that this was a confidence thing.

I would love to know at what stage the management team were made aware he didn’t want to take one.

If he had gone to them in advance of the game and told them. “Look, I’m really struggling for confidence / mentally at the moment and I really don’t fancy a penalty if it goes to a shoot out” then fair enough.

If his confidence issues came to large when the game went to penalties, then given the other factors about the club it was against and that he took one for them against us since that day in a shoot out. I would say he’s completely mugged us off.

Does anyone know at what point Jordan Rhodes, the professional football player and striker who had taken loads of penalties and high pressured ones at that, decided that he was suddenly unable to kick a ball in a net from 12 yards with only the keeper to beat? 

I have been as critical of Jordan Rhodes as anyone with not taking a penalty in he play off shoot out.

But I really dont believe it had anything to do with it being against Huddersfield 'His Club'.

12 hours ago, parajack said:

And the same with FF.............BOTH SHOULD HAVE BEEN TRANSFER LISTED AND SOLD

Might've been difficult, seeing as he was technically still only on loan with us at the time and then only signed permanently afterwards...