Top 10 SWFC Players of the last 10 years (Owlstalk Ratings)

Good to see Kirkland on here, I think as you said we love a good keeper, and honestly it's the one position we have a tradition for being solid in. Atleast as far back as I can remember we have mostly had solid keepers between the sticks for us, Maybe I am biased as that was where I used to play in my younger years but yeah, even when we have been pure tripe we have generally had good keepers.

Edited by leftpeg
  • Like 1

Considering it is easier to maintain a burst of good form over a season rather than over a long career, it seems almost inevitable that our winner would be a loan signing. But what a loan signing he was.

Brought in by Jos Luhukay, five games in to the 2018-19 season, Hector watched the next 3 games off the bench, but once he was up to full fitness he was pretty much an ever-present from there on in. Luhukay’s team hadn’t kept a clean sheet in the 8 league games before he started with Daniel Pudil or Jordan Thorniley struggling at centre-half.

Hector made an immediate impact. We conceded again in Hector’s full debut (a worldie from John McGinn) but ran out 2-1 winners at Villa Park. He really hit his stride under Steve Bruce, helping to solidify a shaky back line. Of the 36 league games Hector would start, we would keep clean sheets in 14 of them, including both games against Sheffield United. Confident stepping out of defence with the ball, calm, strong in the air and with an eye for a long pass, Hector helped lead a struggling team to safety.

He was voted man of the match in 9 of the 38 games he started, including a run of 7 in 15 games between Boxing Day against Preston (where he scored the winner) and the 1-0 win at Bolton in March. His highest rated performance (8.67) was at the 1-0 win away at Ipswich. With no-one else on the team seemingly capable of scoring a penalty that season, he even stepped up in the last game to convert from the spot – his second goal for the club.

Welcome to the Owlstalk Hall of Fame, Michael Hector - his average rating of 6.92 will take some beating.

• Thanks 1

Like the 'Worst XI' thread, I have to offer a grovelling apology to a player who would have made the list too (in second place) if I had the 2012/13 matches ready to include when I started this list. So, welcome also to the hall of fame, Anthony Gardner.

Some of you picked a best XI at the start of the thread, so this is pretty much what a squad would look like based on the top rated players (25 games minimum), and going a bit further down the list to find a couple of fullbacks.

GK: Chris Kirkland (6.69)

DR: Lewis Buxton (6.39)

DC: Michael Hector (6.92)

DC: Anthony Gardner (6.72)

DL: Daniel Pudil (6.34)

DMC: Massimo Luongo (6.64)

DMC: Sam Hutchinson (6.64)

MC: Kieran Lee (6.54)

MC: Barry Bannan (6.53)

AMC: Lewis McGugan (6.62)

FC: Fernando Forestieri (6.56)

Subs:

GK: Keiren Westwood (6.63)

DC: Tom Lees (6.52)

MR: Chris Maguire (6.40)

ST: Gary Hooper (6.41)

ST: Lee Gregory (6.53)

Not a lot of width, but it seems we don't like fullbacks or wingers (or strikers!) very much. Lee occasionally played on the right and Bannan occasionally on the left, so that midfield would kind of work I guess.

• Like 3

But arguably the best loan defender signing in the last 8 years was Venancio, signed by Carlos and deemed not good enough got his chance when Carlos the destroyer left and we had 12+ players on the injury table.

Venancio came into the heart of the defence playing with a team of kids and squad players and galvanised us at the back. Should have been signed at the end of the season for just £500k but we didnt know at the time how much trouble DC had got the club into financially.

5 hours ago, room0035 said:

But arguably the best loan defender signing in the last 8 years was Venancio, signed by Carlos and deemed not good enough got his chance when Carlos the destroyer left and we had 12+ players on the injury table.

Venancio came into the heart of the defence playing with a team of kids and squad players and galvanised us at the back. Should have been signed at the end of the season for just £500k but we didnt know at the time how much trouble DC had got the club into financially.

Venancio's Owlstalk score was 6.32. Puts him comfortably in the top half but not quite in the top 20. He might have done better if he had a few better players around him (everyone tends to get low marks when we lose, although some get lower scores than others). 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Grezus Bezzus said:

Every post of yours is complete horseshiit.

Your persistence is credible....

Another one of the online trolls group its truly embarrassing but when your a lowlife thats what you do.