Which SWFC Players got off to the worst start then came good?

45 minutes ago, elyowl1 said:

Hirst not really 17/18 years old when signed, eased in and got better as he went on. 

Honestly can't see what more we should have expected. 

Hirst probably tried a bit too hard to do everything when he first came but it was obvious that he was a cut above. I remember thinking why is Colin West starting before Hirst ffs. One particular game under Eustace Hirst was on the bench and Mel Sterland was playing up front on his own. Needless to say Eustace didn't last long.

I saw him play his first game, only a few days after he signed, in a friendly against Lincoln United to open their new floodlights. The bulk of the first team were in Saudi Arabia pre season. I'm pretty sure Marlon Beresford was in goal, Des Hazel definitely played and I'm fairly certain so did Tony Gregory. Mel Sterland seems to stick in my mind as well maybe as a token first teamer.

The infant David's first words in a Wednesday shirt, as he rubbed his ear, having been elbowed by a defender in the 6 yard box, were "There's no need for that you t***". I knew then that he would be ok. It was supposed to be a friendly after all. We all have to get up for work in the morning - no point letting things get out of hand  lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, DoesJackHunt said:

I 100% agree, he was a disaster in every single game . If at the end of my live, the point of me living is to tell a god like figure which of the Sheffield Wednesday players I saw play was a ringer and wasn’t a real professional footballer?

my answers would be Brad Jones, wouldn’t let him finish the question definitely Brad. 

I remember Colin Walker. He tried but was way out of his depth.

Not the start of a career but the most worryingly horrendous start to a match. Lee Sharp v Roland Nilsson in the Rumbelows final. Sharp was probably the most dangerous winger in the country at the time and the first time he got the ball he absolutely skinned Roland and left him for dead.

After that Roland just popped him in his pocket and he never got a kick. The inevitable added bonus was that Roland's shorts, as always, remained spotlessly clean.

Oh and we won!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I remember Chris Waddle getting injured on his debut away at Everton

I think he was out for around 14 games

He was always going to come good

So good that he's the best player I've ever seen in a Wednesday shirt in my lifetime

But he did have a poor start

• Thanks 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Guest Musttryharder

Paul Warhurst. Not too shabby at centre half but what a trasformation to centre forward.