Which SWFC Players got off to the worst start then came good?

Some players sign for SWFC and take a while to come good

We've seen that this season with players taking time to settle in, get going and win a regular place - then they were fine

It's happened throughout the years of course but can you remember players who got off to really awful starts only to go on and succeed here?

Am I right in thinking David Hirst was one?

Owlstalk Shop

27 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Some players sign for SWFC and take a while to come good

We've seen that this season with players taking time to settle in, get going and win a regular place - then they were fine

It's happened throughout the years of course but can you remember players who got off to really awful starts only to go on and succeed here?

Am I right in thinking David Hirst was one?

Hirst not really 17/18 years old when signed, eased in and got better as he went on. 

Honestly can't see what more we should have expected. 

• Like 1

Viv Anderson. He was abysmal on his debut at Boothferry Park (Hull's former ground for you youngsters!) playing at right back, he looked like he'd never played in that position before which was remarkable as he'd played there at the highest level for many years.

Then he was switched to CB and he was great.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, westy365owl said:

Lee he was awful when he came and played RB wasn't until he moved into midfield he started to improve and shine

I don't think he was awful, he just never got a game as Jones never picked him.  Gray taking over and using him in midfield was a masterstroke.

• Like 6

Was it Chris Bart Williams who played his 1st game and had a stinker ball just bouncing off him in midfield, looked like he'd never played football before. Then became a reyt player,never stopped running all game..

I could be of course totally wrong....

Or was it Carlton?

UTO

• Haha 1

Going back to the 70's, Phil Henson was a bit of a figure of ridicule when he played for us.

Then for some reason (probably Sheffield's ironic humour) the crowd started cheering whenever he got the ball and this seemed to encourage him to put more effort in.

He become a pretty good player in the end as I recall. I was only a youngster back then and my memory isn't the greatest though.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Basement Jack said:

Not a signing as such but Mel Sterland got off to a bad start. The rest is history as they say

I remember saying Charlton must be bumming him. Then he had that blinding game against Grimsby.

Edited by marconi
  • Haha 2

Guest DoesJackHunt
26 minutes ago, Luke said:

Brad Jones 

Started off rubbish 

Got that bad it became comical 

Worst keeper I've ever seen in a wednesday shirt 

I 100% agree, he was a disaster in every single game . If at the end of my live, the point of me living is to tell a god like figure which of the Sheffield Wednesday players I saw play was a ringer and wasn’t a real professional footballer?

my answers would be Brad Jones, wouldn’t let him finish the question definitely Brad.