Which SWFC Players got off to the worst start then came good?

6 hours ago, the mighty wednesday said:

Winning the World Cup has not helped them retain the dignity their names should command. Many of us have known the discomfort of Nobby Stiles in the back passage!

It's plain to see now where Big Jack got his moniker from ...jack_charlton_young__71647.1396340942.jpg.78766188bb87e59df81d5093841cbddc.jpg

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Nero said:

Ian Porterfield

To be honest Nero that period he played for Wednesday was the most exciting rollercoaster ride that any Wednesdayite could ever experience.

And he played in nearly every game .

Says summat about the bloke ...

I agree with Sterland being mentioned. Possibly the biggest turnaround. 

I also remember Waddle signing and wondering if he was way past his best and I think he made his debut at West Brom in a pre-season friendly. Pretty sure we were far from convinced after that match.

As for players not mentioned, what about Reda, who was a calamity at CH, but far better at. LB. There’s also a one game turnaround, Craig Rocastle, who only played 1 good game for us but what a game to pick and I think it was his last one. 

11 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Some players sign for SWFC and take a while to come good

We've seen that this season with players taking time to settle in, get going and win a regular place - then they were fine

It's happened throughout the years of course but can you remember players who got off to really awful starts only to go on and succeed here?

Am I right in thinking David Hirst was one?

Hirsty scored on his home debut v Everton as an 18 year old.

Also scored one of the best goals I have ever seen v Man U that season.

Definitely not a bad start but he was used sparingly by Wilkinson that first season.

10 hours ago, DIPPS_S.W.F.C said:

Was it Chris Bart Williams who played his 1st game and had a stinker ball just bouncing off him in midfield, looked like he'd never played football before. Then became a reyt player,never stopped running all game..

I could be of course totally wrong....

Or was it Carlton?

UTO

Pretty sure his first game was against Arsenal. Played on the left hand side of midfield if I remember rightly and had a great game. Played more like a 30 year old than an 18 year old.

my 2nd  worst gaff was saying to my mate  " sterland would never make a full back while he;s got a hole in his  arris "........so him ......my number 1 was  saying after his  debut against sunderland that "stevie downes would be our saviour" .

11 hours ago, alanharper said:

Viv Anderson. He was abysmal on his debut at Boothferry Park (Hull's former ground for you youngsters!) playing at right back, he looked like he'd never played in that position before which was remarkable as he'd played there at the highest level for many years.

Then he was switched to CB and he was great.

Ha I remember that game. He did look shocking at right back. Ron never played him there again!

10 hours ago, the mighty wednesday said:

Dejan Stefanovic didn't seem to know whether to get in front or goal side at throw ins at first but then improved no end and became captain of Portsmouth IIRC.

Was played out of position at left back initially. Once he moved to his natural position at centre back he was fine.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

Hirsty scored on his home debut v Everton as an 18 year old.

Also scored one of the best goals I have ever seen v Man U that season.

Definitely not a bad start but he was used sparingly by Wilkinson that first season.

That goal v Man Utd in 1987......

20210310_135717.thumb.jpg.cf9b3e70fe9d8fecd7cfbeac60527ed9.jpg20210310_135735.thumb.jpg.03b13220d3419510e565fe7439e9e2db.jpg

• Thanks 2