Home support atm

Guest Mcguigan

In the last 30 years our overall average attendance is 23,795. That’s from 9 seasons of PL football, 16 of Championship and 5 in Lg1.

Our average last season was 22,470.

Who are all these missing thousands of fans posters talk of?

Attending a Wembley game or one or two important games a season is not a true barometer of how many fans actually would turn up week in week out, even if the tickets were bloody free.

My guess is we have a core 21k home fans but that realistically can drop by 4k if things are bad but it will increase when things improve or it can increase by 4k if we are challenging for promotion but will drop again when we’re not.

Even if we reached the PL, I reckon there’d still be half a dozen or so games that wouldn’t be home sell outs. We don’t have the regular numbers people think we do.

8 hours ago, parajack said:

Blade goes into a Charity shop,see's a 60 inch TV with 'for sale sign'.£10 pounds.(note volume stuck on full) Blade gets a tenner out,turns to his mate and says...'ime not turning that down'

I’d have put my foot through it…I hate unnecessary noise. Decent bargain tho for £10 👍🏻 Do you know what make it was? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mcguigan said:

In the last 30 years our overall average attendance is 23,795. That’s from 9 seasons of PL football, 16 of Championship and 5 in Lg1.

Our average last season was 22,470.

Who are all these missing thousands of fans posters talk of?

Attending a Wembley game or one or two important games a season is not a true barometer of how many fans actually would turn up week in week out, even if the tickets were bloody free.

My guess is we have a core 21k home fans but that realistically can drop by 4k if things are bad but it will increase when things improve or it can increase by 4k if we are challenging for promotion but will drop again when we’re not.

Even if we reached the PL, I reckon there’d still be half a dozen or so games that wouldn’t be home sell outs. We don’t have the regular numbers people think we do.

when we were in the play offs for the championship we averaged 27k that season . 

Guest Mcguigan
1 hour ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

when we were in the play offs for the championship we averaged 27k that season . 

So you've confirmed my point. 4k extra home fans because we were challenging for promotion. That still left 6k home seats empty and three seasons later, when we weren't challenging, 3k home fans dropped off.

On 09/06/2022 at 13:33, Bannofan said:

I've not regretted switching to watch Stocksbridge Park Steels, think they are 8th tier.

Thing is, it's like going to a proper football match; you really do get that match day experience. 

Pay through a turnstile,  buy a programme and a half time draw ticket, get a hot drink/beer, pie , crisps whatever. Pick whether you want to sit in the reasonably impressive for the level stand, or stand on the terracing. There's a P.A. with music and team announcements.

Much more 'wholesome ' and worthwhile,  and a better atmosphere for kids. 

Quite frankly, I don't really notice the difference in levels of football quality either.  Games are often exciting with great goals/saves/ tackles etc.

I think the problem with watching SWFC is that it is an expensive habit.

The minute you miss a few months, you realise you have something better to do with your time and money- that it simply isn't worth it . 

I know exactly what you mean - your experiences match many of mine.

An advantage is kick off times, which are always at 3pm on Saturdays & Bank Holidays and 7:45pm on Tuesdays. Whilst not so much an issue for Wednesday in League 1, I know a few supporters of Premier League clubs that watch Chatham Town, because they can't watch 'their' clubs due to the multitude of ko times sky demand.

Sorry, I mispoke - I find the whole step / tier thing confusing... Chatham Town are now in Step 4 - same as SPS, which is in the 8th tier of the football pyramid - same as SPS, so maybe see you in the FA Trophy!

• Love 1

22 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

I get your point, but honestly?

A choice between watching Wednesday at Hillsborough, or Frickley Athletic and having a decent pie?

Not for me mate

Its miles away from a Wednesday winner..its not even on the radar, but I'm not in the position of having to trek 200 miles , so I get your point

Sorry, clearly didn't explain myself very well.

You're right, in a footballing sense the two are miles apart and a 'decent pie' wouldn't make me change my mind, but if you're not a die-hard Wednesday fan, but go to a handfull of games each season, why would you go to more, when there are cheaper alternatives with better facilities available?

All I was suggesting, if you haven't been recently, go to a non-league preseason match with good facilities and compare the facilities to those at Hillsborough. I suspect you'll find those at non-league are better.

1 hour ago, Lime Tree Heros said:

I know exactly what you mean - your experiences match many of mine.

An advantage is kick off times, which are always at 3pm on Saturdays & Bank Holidays and 7:45pm on Tuesdays. Whilst not so much an issue for Wednesday in League 1, I know a few supporters of Premier League clubs that watch Chatham Town, because they can't watch 'their' clubs due to the multitude of ko times sky demand.

Sorry, I mispoke - I find the whole step / tier thing confusing... Chatham Town are now in Step 4 - same as SPS, which is in the 8th tier of the football pyramid - same as SPS, so maybe see you in the FA Trophy!

Now that would be weird, well worth a pint though if it happens!

• Like 1

On 09/06/2022 at 13:33, Bannofan said:

I've not regretted switching to watch Stocksbridge Park Steels, think they are 8th tier.

Thing is, it's like going to a proper football match; you really do get that match day experience. 

Pay through a turnstile,  buy a programme and a half time draw ticket, get a hot drink/beer, pie , crisps whatever. Pick whether you want to sit in the reasonably impressive for the level stand, or stand on the terracing. There's a P.A. with music and team announcements.

Much more 'wholesome ' and worthwhile,  and a better atmosphere for kids. 

Quite frankly, I don't really notice the difference in levels of football quality either.  Games are often exciting with great goals/saves/ tackles etc.

I think the problem with watching SWFC is that it is an expensive habit.

The minute you miss a few months, you realise you have something better to do with your time and money- that it simply isn't worth it . 

I know what you mean by saying football in the Northern Premier League is a much more wholesome experience.
Feels more of a sport to enjoy being a sport rather than about the money.

Think the advantage with watching Wednesday is it feels more like an event, with people interested afterwards in the pub discussing the talking points of the game.
Also waiting to see the highlights on TV to see if you were right on things like it want a penalty.
You also get all the little sub plots on if we lose will the manager be sacked and things like ex players playing against Wednesday.

I enjoy watching both non league and Wednesday both for different reasons.