Home support atm

For me these are two separate issues 1 - Atmosphere 2 - Crowd size the two are not necessarily linked.

1 - Atmosphere - exciting, winning football on the pitch should get this sorted.

2 - Crowd size - increasing this could be really tricky - Fans of league clubs have been ripped off for years.

As an example, I live over 200 miles from Sheffield and as a 'part timer' only got to a couple of home and maybe 4 away games a season. During covid I started watching my local tier 5 non-league club (this was before crowds could watch league football), this has since become a season ticket. I've been to 4 different league grounds since lockdown and I can safely say that the facilities I enjoy at non- league are way better than all 4 league grounds.

I urge anyone who hasn't been recently, during pre-season research a local non-league club with decent facilities and pay them a visit - comparing them to what Hillsborough has to offer, will probably depress you...

When trying to entice part timers to become full timers, this is the sort of thing that sets us back...

• Thanks 1

Thought the home crowds were excellent,considering the dross from the chairman,previous managers and non committed players over the last couple of seasons,well done the Wednesday,crowds will come back,always do when we are doing well,MASSIVE !!!

6 hours ago, Lime Tree Heros said:

For me these are two separate issues 1 - Atmosphere 2 - Crowd size the two are not necessarily linked.

1 - Atmosphere - exciting, winning football on the pitch should get this sorted.

2 - Crowd size - increasing this could be really tricky - Fans of league clubs have been ripped off for years.

As an example, I live over 200 miles from Sheffield and as a 'part timer' only got to a couple of home and maybe 4 away games a season. During covid I started watching my local tier 5 non-league club (this was before crowds could watch league football), this has since become a season ticket. I've been to 4 different league grounds since lockdown and I can safely say that the facilities I enjoy at non- league are way better than all 4 league grounds.

I urge anyone who hasn't been recently, during pre-season research a local non-league club with decent facilities and pay them a visit - comparing them to what Hillsborough has to offer, will probably depress you...

When trying to entice part timers to become full timers, this is the sort of thing that sets us back...

Which non league side is it mate, curious?

I've been a season ticket holder since the mid eighties

I missed most of the 2015/16 season after damaging 3 ligaments in my knee

Missed most of the 2018/19 season after a couple of heart attacks

Then came the pandemic

On top of that I miss around 6 games a season due to my son working

It would probably work out cheaper to not bother with a S/T and just pay on the day

But I know if I did that, I wouldn't bother coming at all, it's the S/T that forces my decision

And I think that is the key

The club need to make season tickets so attractive that people want them

If the club came up with a scheme where people could pay monthly without interest charges, maybe more would buy them

There must be a clever marketing strategy that the club could use to attract more people

But for me, season tickets and not pay on the day is the answer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Stands like the yellow wall at Dortmund, the Anfield Kop, the Holte End at Villa.. internationally famous for their size and atmosphere.

Tottenham spent millions designing their brand new stadium with a single tier stand behind the goal as the main selling point and a feature for the fans, a stadium widely regarded as one of the best in the world currently.

Clubs like Newcastle and Crystal Palace have made a huge deal of their home ends behind the goal which are now adorned with flags and Tifo's before games.

Even traditionally much smaller clubs like Watford try to emulate all of the above by having flag displays etc before games.

And then there's us. One of the biggest single tier Kop ends in the country, an absolutely colossal home end behind one of our goals.. and we do absolutely nothing with it.

And before anyone starts - because there's always someone who does - this isn't just a "well why don't you do it" thing for one person to do. Why can't the supporters clubs start and actively maintain a fund to manage flag displays? Why can't the club get it off the ground by providing flags? Why not make the Kop the cheapest part of the ground and get it absolutely packed out? Why not explore safe standing at that end, even if it's just the middle 2 blocks directly behind the goal?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sheffield_dave said:

Stands like the yellow wall at Dortmund, the Anfield Kop, the Holte End at Villa.. internationally famous for their size and atmosphere.

Tottenham spent millions designing their brand new stadium with a single tier stand behind the goal as the main selling point and a feature for the fans, a stadium widely regarded as one of the best in the world currently.

Clubs like Newcastle and Crystal Palace have made a huge deal of their home ends behind the goal which are now adorned with flags and Tifo's before games.

Even traditionally much smaller clubs like Watford try to emulate all of the above by having flag displays etc before games.

And then there's us. One of the biggest single tier Kop ends in the country, an absolutely colossal home end behind one of our goals.. and we do absolutely nothing with it.

And before anyone starts - because there's always someone who does - this isn't just a "well why don't you do it" thing for one person to do. Why can't the supporters clubs start and actively maintain a fund to manage flag displays? Why can't the club get it off the ground by providing flags? Why not make the Kop the cheapest part of the ground and get it absolutely packed out? Why not explore safe standing at that end, even if it's just the middle 2 blocks directly behind the goal?

It is the cheapest.

It will never be full on normal days though until we get the posts removed. 

49 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

It is the cheapest.

It will never be full on normal days though until we get the posts removed. 

I'll rephrase. It should be the cheapest by quite a stretch - enough to influence people to sit/stand there, alongside an increased effort to increase the atmosphere. I'm loyal to the North stand which quite frankly is my favourite stand in football, but the Kop should be the focus of the entire ground. That should be where the atmosphere is and where the most vocal fans want to be.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Basically what I'm getting at - I'm absolutely sick of Hillsborough feeling like a cavernous hindrance. Sick of feeling it's too big or too negative, or like a millstone around the clubs neck.

I'm at the point where I wish Hillsborough was full every home game. Every home game. I wish we did more to make a show of what we know our supporters can bring in terms of atmosphere. What we've got is actually quite enviable, especially outside the Premier League, and it's about time we started making that work to our advantage. 

Hillsborough being half full at £30-£40+ a ticket has failed as a policy and has done for years. Try something else. Try something that just gets the place full and feeling alive. Feeling it isn't a chore or like too few can be bothered.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Lime Tree Heros said:

I've not regretted switching to watch Stocksbridge Park Steels, think they are 8th tier.

Thing is, it's like going to a proper football match; you really do get that match day experience. 

Pay through a turnstile,  buy a programme and a half time draw ticket, get a hot drink/beer, pie , crisps whatever. Pick whether you want to sit in the reasonably impressive for the level stand, or stand on the terracing. There's a P.A. with music and team announcements.

Much more 'wholesome ' and worthwhile,  and a better atmosphere for kids. 

Quite frankly, I don't really notice the difference in levels of football quality either.  Games are often exciting with great goals/saves/ tackles etc.

I think the problem with watching SWFC is that it is an expensive habit.

The minute you miss a few months, you realise you have something better to do with your time and money- that it simply isn't worth it . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sheffield_dave said:

Basically what I'm getting at - I'm absolutely sick of Hillsborough feeling like a cavernous hindrance. Sick of feeling it's too big or too negative, or like a millstone around the clubs neck.

I'm at the point where I wish Hillsborough was full every home game. Every home game. I wish we did more to make a show of what we know our supporters can bring in terms of atmosphere. What we've got is actually quite enviable, especially outside the Premier League, and it's about time we started making that work to our advantage. 

Hillsborough being half full at £30-£40+ a ticket has failed as a policy and has done for years. Try something else. Try something that just gets the place full and feeling alive. Feeling it isn't a chore or like too few can be bothered.

The onjly thing that will consistently get 30k people through the door at Hillsborough is Premiership Football.

All ground/atmosphere problems are solved when/if we achieve that status.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Geedee said:

The onjly thing that will consistently get 30k people through the door at Hillsborough is Premiership Football.

All ground/atmosphere problems are solved when/if we achieve that status.

I'm not convinced you couldn't near enough fill Hillsborough weekly with a total rethink of ticketing and pricing.

We bottomed out at 18 and a half thousand at home this season (in the league) - a Tuesday night in November at home to MK Dons. That's for our third stint in League One in 21 years with no Premiership football during that time, with season tickets and pay on the day being as expensive as they currently are. 

Gouging the fans for all their worth hasn't worked, but that core of 18-22,000 home supporters who turn up almost regardless remains anyway. Why not try and revolutionise ticketing and cost the other way and see what happens?

7 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

I'm not convinced you couldn't near enough fill Hillsborough weekly with a total rethink of ticketing and pricing.

We bottomed out at 18 and a half thousand at home this season (in the league) - a Tuesday night in November at home to MK Dons. That's for our third stint in League One in 21 years with no Premiership football during that time, with season tickets and pay on the day being as expensive as they currently are. 

Gouging the fans for all their worth hasn't worked, but that core of 18-22,000 home supporters who turn up almost regardless remains anyway. Why not try and revolutionise ticketing and cost the other way and see what happens?

I am all for cheaper tickets lol, I just dont think there is the demand for thrid division football unlessof course we are pushing for promotion. 

The difference of course is that in the premiership if we had a ground of around the 2018 world cup plans ( 44 k capacity ), we would be guaranteed at least 4 sell out crowds  ( 2 x Manchester , 1 x Liverpool , 1 of either Leeds or Newcastle ) a season ( Assuming the away end had decent capacity ). That I am sure would put the average over 30k. 

22 hours ago, Lime Tree Heros said:

I get your point, but honestly?

A choice between watching Wednesday at Hillsborough, or Frickley Athletic and having a decent pie?

Not for me mate

Its miles away from a Wednesday winner..its not even on the radar, but I'm not in the position of having to trek 200 miles , so I get your point

• Like 1

On 14/05/2022 at 15:28, Joe.swfc said:

Hate to be one of those people to complain about how many games you should be going to or wether you should have a season ticket or not because I understand everyone has different circumstances but I feel like our home support this season when it’s not a big game has been really poor compared to past years. Don’t get me wrong even this season Wednesdays support his miles ahead of other teams but for Wednesday I feel like we have been poor when it comes to numbers and noise. I get the fact we are in league one and people don’t want to come to games anymore and I’m not being a c4nt saying we are all ‘plastics’ because we are not but I just putting this out hear as a general message that we need more numbers a more noise at Hillsborough next season if we want promotion! 
Put thoughts below I’m willing to have my opinion changed 

(again no hate to anyone just a general message)

Subjective but if you go back to the threads around last Year many fans(some lifelong ST holders for may decades) have decided 'enough is enough' with the Chairman & his advisor's...(i was in this Camp,& now pick off odd match's POTG & watch others on line..) & didnt renew  their ST...

Am i less of a fan? NO i have just made a different choice to those who continue to shell out their hard earned.......

If we see our team falter this season,i expect more will follow suit.....times are hard at the minute,& people thinking long and hard about handing over cash..

WAWAW

Edited by parajack

On 14/05/2022 at 19:43, @owlstalk said:

I know

Youre missing the point entirely though mate 

My point is you are engaged and passionate and loyal and hardcore compared to those who aren’t coming 

Those who aren’t coming have totally different needs and requirements and demands 

That cant include everyone mate,you can be ALL of those things and NOT currently be a ST holder....many lifelong,loyal,passionate,and hard core SWFC fans who have over the decades spent tens of thousands following their team,posted on here to say they were not renewing......

Some gave their reason as our 'advisors' others  the Chairman....some(from memory) both....