If We'd Sacked Darren Moore...

2 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

It's only a relevant question if you think that replacing the manager with 5 games to go would increase our chances of promotion.

I suspect even amongst the Moore out camp, few would consider this to be a good idea.

No way should we be replacing manager now the time to do that passed in October/November last year.

Honestly think DM would be a better manager with a more limited squad, due to the good options he has, there has been a temptation to overthink things and try to be too clever changing things around depending on opposition instead of getting the basics right of getting a solid core team together that do the simple things right first.

The few good performances we had pre Xmas were games like Wigan away where we kept things simple.

I think Moore is a good manager.

Recently we've played well but dropped daft points that could really cost us. But you have to credit Moore for the good play as well as blame him for not getting the wins we should have.

Last year for me our best players were Windass, Tom Lees, Jacob Murphy, and Bannan. He's rebuilt with only one available.

Money is a massive advantage and he's had more than our rivals (though with restrictions on signings), but it's a long-term thing, in any season the club with most money isn't odds-on for promotion.

Like everyone I've been frustrated with conceding late goals and not making the most of our chances. It seemed weird to play NML and not Berahino who's in form and a more natural striker. But I like it that Moore is developing different options, looking for pace to run in behind, trickery to work the ball through a defence, and nous to get on the end of crosses, and I'm happy that he varies the style against different opponents.

Moore does see things in players, it seemed crazy when he played Johnson in a back three but given our options at the time it now seems like a really good call.

The injuries to Gibson have cost us badly because left centre-back is our weakest position for cover. With everyone fit my back three are Gibson, Dean and Storey. That's desperately unfair on Hutch who's had a great season, but often our left CB gets well into their half, when it's Hutch he has to come back onto his right foot, when its Gibson he can advance.

At Christmas we all wanted to keep Corbeanu and would have been happy to cut Berahino loose, Moore knew his calls then would be unpopular but they've worked.

Moore is building, he's got us playing good football, it will be really disappointing not to go up this year but I'll still be looking forward to next season.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

We've taken 12 points from our last 6 matches (so 2 points per game), and 21 from our last 10 (2.1 ppg). 

I'd say that's pretty decent form.

Over a full season, it would get you around 92-97 points.

That's skewed by 4 of those 6 games being at home. The game before those last 6 we lost at Lincoln.

It's our away form that's far from promotion form. We are 15th in a last 8 away games form table.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

That's skewed by 4 of those 6 games being at home. The game before those last 6 we lost at Lincoln.

It's our away form that's far from promotion form. We are 15th in a last 8 away games form table.

Take our last 10 games then:

21 points from our last 10 = 2.1 ppg.

Although we played 6 at home and 4 away, so that will probably 'skew' things, as well.

How about our last 5 at home added to our last 5 away, in the interests of fairness, then?

21 points from those 10 games, too = 2.1 ppg.

Or are you still saying that our recent form hasn't been pretty decent?

I appreciate that the OP has started this as a positive Darren Moore thread, but I do find it quite frustrating that we've had so many threads regarding the future of the manager off the back of a frustrating result against Bolton. 

Saturday was a bad one and we may well pay for it, but we are still in the play offs and our destiny is in our hands. 

If we do ******** it up from here, then questions need to be asked, not just of Moore but also of the players, who have more than enough ability to be comfortably in the top 6. 

The upcoming match is a great test. Huge pressure on both teams. 

5 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Take our last 10 games then:

21 points from our last 10 = 2.1 ppg.

Although we played 6 at home and 4 away, so that will probably 'skew' things, as well.

How about our last 5 at home added to our last 5 away, in the interests of fairness, then?

21 points from those 10 games, too = 2.1 ppg.

Or are you still saying that our recent form hasn't been pretty decent?

Obviously at home we've been good recently apart from the draw with Accrington. But away we've been fairly ordinary since losing at Oxford considering we've only played bottom half of the table teams. 2 points and only 2 goals scored in the last 3 away games is poor.

Only won 2 of the last 8 away games, Burton and Doncaster. The last time we won away against a top half of the table team was Wigan in September. Need to step up in the 3 away games to come or we won't make the play offs.

4 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Byers suffered a serious groin injury in September. From the sound of things, it took him until the new year to be ready for a full return to match fitness...

"I didn't expect to be out for as long as I was."

"I had to have an injection to help the injury and that settled it down."

“To get an injury when you’re not really settled in is frustrating, but these things happen and since the turn of the year things have been good for me. I’m in a good place, and I really want to kick on now.”

“Playing free football with no pain and no injuries. I feel like I’m in a good place now, and getting a good runs of games helps that. I’m feeling good.”

It was a strange one with Byers. after recovering from injury he played and scored v Harrogate in the pizza cup in November. Then for the next 3 months he was on the bench loads of times but didn't get on the pitch for even 1 minute before he started and scoring v Morecambe at the beginning of February. Before his injury he wasn't first choice in midfield even with Luongo out.

1 hour ago, NorthernOwl said:

It's only a relevant question if you think that replacing the manager with 5 games to go would increase our chances of promotion.

I suspect even amongst the Moore out camp, few would consider this to be a good idea.

Where did I say I wanted him out with 5 games to go?

21 minutes ago, Roscoe P. Coltrane said:

Where did I say I wanted him out with 5 games to go?

2 hours ago, Roscoe P. Coltrane said:

It's a very relevant question which I've asked in several threads 

Another season in league 1 would be another financial. disaster 

In answer to you're question yes I'd get rid 

Tactically inept and reactive not proactive 

All IMO of course...

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Some fans will have spent the entire promotion season where we get promoted whining, crying, complaining and acting like babies about the manager who got us promoted

Imagine spending all season doing that instead of enjoying it?

foooook ME

They will then spend the post season complaining that Moore won't cut it in the championship!

• Like 3

Guest DoesJackHunt
10 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Come on in, the water's warm.

Diego Moorinho...yay or nay?

:duntmatter:

I'm 100% behind Diego and think he's doing a wonderful job

In January I wanted him out 

Appalling results, football was uninspiring and it seemed we was on to a long season of mediocre football mid league and we was going to be another Sunderland Sheff utd Leeds just hanging around in this league with a high budget for years to come 

but it’s a result business and he’s turned in around in points on the board and overall the football has been a vast improvement 

im not one for chopping and changing and considering the transfer restrictions in each window I’ve seen enough out of the squad and the progression to go into next season under Moore 

to not reach the playoffs will be nothing short of a disaster and that debate was done in the first half of the season to not get out of this league I believe would be job failed 

however I see nothing based on the second half of the campaign why would change 

he started something he needs another season but he 💯 has to address our weakness in the squad 

more height, more pace, an out an out goal scorer that can play 35 games plus 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1