If We'd Sacked Darren Moore...

1 hour ago, onlyonedavidhirst said:

It's funny reading a thread like this as there's validity in almost every post, in fact I'm struggling to find fault with what people have written. Yet there's conflicted opinion and ultimately differing views on DMs performance. 

For me it goes something like this, our first half of the season was an underperformance, but there were lots of reasons why (ridiculous injuries, Covid, new players coming together, finding a formation), some of which can be put at the managers door and some of which can't. Two catastrophic performances around the new year caused for some fans to lose hope deciding that the recent upturn was merely a blip and that those 2 games were showing us to be no different to earlier in the season. Our form since then has been excellent, but there's still a couple of concerns, firstly our away form and secondly our inability to learn how to defend set pieces. We are now at a critical point of the season where everything is possible, but given what's happening around us we could still have made automatics if we had put a run together the likes of which Dave Jones managed. Given that we probably have the highest or 2nd highest wage budget in the division and have some obvious Championship players, but knowing that Sunderland are similar and doing no better then it's hard to genuinely gauge how DM is doing. Some will say he's turning it around, some will say that he could have turned it quicker and with more power if only he learnt quicker. His underperformance in the Championship doesn't help, but again there were reasons, however we were capable of stopping up and he didn't find a way. 

Think that covers most posts. For me, I think he starts as manager next season come what may, but I want to see him recognise the shortcomings and put them right or I'll get twitchy. Yes the away form needs sorting out, so does the set pieces, its also obvious that our striker recruitment bar Gregory hasn't given us the best balance for this league. Oh and he needs to insist that the pink away shirt goes and is just a fashion item haha

Yep I think a lot of the differences come from how much weight individuals give to all the off field issues and how much they factor that into expectations. Along with the injury situation as well.

Those saying we are underachieving tend to look at the squad on paper and highlight the championship experience there. They generally don't consider the off field issues or injuries to be relevant to performance levels.

Those saying we are meeting expectations give far more weight to those issues and take a whole club view rather than simply looking at the players available.

Easy to see how you could come down on either side of the argument.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

I voted to sack him in this poll, and if we don't get promoted i'd still vote to sack him. September to December was pathetic, too many draws and dropped points against dross of the league. Morecambe away, Shrewsbury home and away, the run of 4 draws against Lincoln, Cambridge, Wimbledon and Cheltenham. Gillingham at home, the Sunderland embarrassment away, the last minute defeat at Oxford, and more recently the ******** poor performance at Lincoln away followed up by Accy at home and Gillingham away. There's been too many substandard performances, yes since January we've picked up a lot thanks to his recruitment, just hope the damage wasn't done early in the season and leaves us chasing a bit now. People who voted to sack him at Christmas in my opinion were spot on to do so, and i'd stick by that if he fails to get this squad of players out of this division. 

I get the sentiment, but when you refer to 'this squad of players', you really do have to factor in that our best (and only) defensive midfielder was out injured for half the season; our best forward has managed only 323 minutes; and we ended up playing Johnson and Palmer as centre-backs due to the ridiculous number of injuries to our senior recognised centre-backs.

Moorinho has only had anything like 'this squad of players' to work with since the end of January (minus Windass and Gregory for much of the year to date, of course), during which time we've averaged 2.14 points per game - enough to give us 98 points over the course of a full season.

We could only dream of an incoming manager achieving such a record, couldn't we?

But the good thing for us is that we don't need to go searching for a manager capable of such a run with 'this squad of players'; we already have him.

5 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Damn right, he isn't.

Good job we listened to the majority and sacked Darren back in January, then, eh?

:duntmatter:

I mean, Darren had a ridiculous injury list to contend with for much of the first half of the season, including losing his best forward, his best defensive midfielder, and, at times, all four of his senior centre-backs. And just as we were finding our form, covid reared its head and scuppered our festive programme.

But that doesn't matter now - he's gone.

Diego's done a great job since January, hasn't he?

Assuming we don't go up, which we still might, he'd be really well placed to have a good crack at it next season, wouldn't he?

which is all well and good, you have a point until our best run has come when we have had all the injuries and he hasn’t been able to change a settled team. 
Moore likes to over think things too much like this failed idea of NML up front every fan can see it’s not really working. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I get the sentiment, but when you refer to 'this squad of players', you really do have to factor in that our best (and only) defensive midfielder was out injured for half the season; our best forward has managed only 323 minutes; and we ended up playing Johnson and Palmer as centre-backs due to the ridiculous number of injuries to our senior recognised centre-backs.

Moorinho has only had anything like 'this squad of players' to work with since the end of January (minus Windass and Gregory for much of the year to date, of course), during which time we've averaged 2.14 points per game - enough to give us 98 points over the course of a full season.

We could only dream of an incoming manager achieving such a record, couldn't we?

But the good thing for us is that we don't need to go searching for a manager capable of such a run with 'this squad of players'; we already have him.

We'll see how he does then, but he now has all the tools at his disposal minus Windass, so the team is now strong enough to win the players. He's got us in contention to finish in the top 6 so now with the squad back to pretty much full strength he has no excuses not to get us promoted. The back 3 is very strong, the wing backs are superb, the midfield 3 have a bit of everything, then Gregory + Berahino/Pato/NML is surely strong enough to get the job done. Anything else from here on in would be a failure

Just now, WorrallOwl17 said:

We'll see how he does then, but he now has all the tools at his disposal minus Windass, so the team is now strong enough to win the players. He's got us in contention to finish in the top 6 so now with the squad back to pretty much full strength he has no excuses not to get us promoted. The back 3 is very strong, the wing backs are superb, the midfield 3 have a bit of everything, then Gregory + Berahino/Pato/NML is surely strong enough to get the job done. Anything else from here on in would be a failure

win the playoffs* sorry

6 minutes ago, sheffwed1 said:

which is all well and good, you have a point until our best run has come when we have had all the injuries and he hasn’t been able to change a settled team. 
Moore likes to over think things too much like this failed idea of NML up front every fan can see it’s not really working. 

Which run of games did we have a settled team?

10 minutes ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

I'm sure all the teams going into the playoffs will believe they have what it takes to win them.

Do you really rate our forward options that highly?

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

12 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'm sure all the teams going into the playoffs will believe they have what it takes to win them.

Do you really rate our forward options that highly?

i do yeah, between the 4 mentioned for 2 starting places i think Gregory, NML, Paterson and Berahino should 100% have enough to get us over the line. 

Just now, WorrallOwl17 said:

i do yeah, between the 4 mentioned for 2 starting places i think Gregory, NML, Paterson and Berahino should 100% have enough to get us over the line. 

Hopefully, although I think there's been a tendency to overrate our squad when seeking to criticise Moore recently.

I mean, Berahino was written off by many on here for the majority of the season, and yet now they want to paint him as an elite striker who's being badly managed. The truth, as always, is probably somewhere in between, isn't it? He's shown flashes of his undoubted quality, but nothing like on a consistent basis.

Paterson has also been on the receiving end of some choice comments, with some who claimed he's 'not a striker' for 18 months now deciding he's being unfairly overlooked by Moore. Again, he certainly has his uses, but he's far from a convincing first choice in many games, is he?

And I'm one of the few on here who actually seems to see the value of playing Mendez-Laing up top in certain games, but he wouldn't be getting a look in if the other options were top-drawer, would he? The fact is, he's the only real pace we've got.

Ultimately, I think that beyond Gregory, we have to accept that we're having to play our third or fourth choice strikers, and that's a situation with which any team in this division would struggle, especially going into the playoffs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roscoe P. Coltrane said:

Keep asking the question 

Can we afford to NOT get promoted this season?

That's not clear at this stage.

But that's not the point of the thread.

Let's say we don't go up - would you want to sack the manager who'd overseen our run of form since the turn of the year (2.12 ppg) and start again?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

That's not clear at this stage.

But that's not the point of the thread.

Let's say we don't go up - would you want to sack the manager who'd overseen our run of form since the turn of the year (2.12 ppg) and start again?

As I said in another thread; keep for me but I can understand why others think differently.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Roscoe P. Coltrane said:

It's a very relevant question which I've asked in several threads 

Another season in league 1 would be another financial. disaster 

In answer to you're question yes I'd get rid 

Tactically inept and reactive not proactive 

All IMO of course...

I get what you're saying re: the finances, but let's say the worst happens and we miss out on promotion this year...

In that moment, we can choose to stick with a manager who knows the club, the chairman, the players...and who's averaged automatic promotion form for the past half season.

Or we can ditch him and start again with someone new.

Personally, our track record over the latter half of this season gives me enough cause for optimism to think that sticking with Moore would represent our best chance of success next season.

If We'd Sacked Darren Moore...

I would have been very happy, and the day DC wakes up and gets rid then I will be very happy. 

We need a glorious burial ceremony of the Tombola, the Mixer and the Die (used for selections, positions and substitutions). 

I would prefer either Carl Osfuniman or even Zeeteal Adi.

3 hours ago, Steve Down South said:

No argument with your maths, taking any emotion out of it suggests we’re in decent form, but I can’t shake the feeling we’re missing a big opportunity this season.  Something’s not quite right, hence we follow a 6-0 win two very disappointing draws, get it back together with a 4-1 win and then fail to back that up with convincing performances in the following two games.  I think a very strong run of games late in January and through February is helping to mask the inconsistency that will cause us to miss out on promotion.

Need to address the elephant in the room here, outside the top 10 teams in league 1 the standard is God awful and with the quality of squad we have we should be winning consistently home and AWAY against these frankly very poor teams.

The reason we aren't going up this year (barring a bit of luck in play offs) is that we've massively underperformed away at these poor clubs that likes of Wigan and Rotherham have consistently turned over with ease.

Don't buy the use of recent stats, I posted many times end of Jan that we had an exceptionally kind run of fixtures in February and march, with a high preportion of home games.  

Time and time again we have chopped and changed irrespective of injuries and IMO that's why we are suffering with a lack of understanding at the back and up top.

Honestly believe we have the best squad available at this level and a 4th /5th. Placed finish is below par.

DM should have gone after the Oxford home game, but we stuck with him so hopefully we go up,. However I don't have any confidence DM is a good enough manager for the championship.

Edited by wellbeaten-the-owl
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, Roscoe P. Coltrane said:

It's a very relevant question which I've asked in several threads 

Another season in league 1 would be another financial. disaster 

In answer to you're question yes I'd get rid 

Tactically inept and reactive not proactive 

All IMO of course...

It's only a relevant question if you think that replacing the manager with 5 games to go would increase our chances of promotion.

I suspect even amongst the Moore out camp, few would consider this to be a good idea.

Guest DoesJackHunt

It's all going to kick off on here at some point !

I'm going to sit this one out for the sake of my blood pressure