Ref tonight...

Guest mrbluesky

1 minute ago, 0wl18 said:

Referee was outstanding tonight. The game was frantic at times with a lot of ‘nearly’ fouls that he consistently let go. 

He always looked in complete control and, gave himself plenty of time to make key decisions.

It’s important to praise these good performances IMO. Referees haven’t got an easy job and, it’s understandable that they make mistakes. Tonight’s official was impeccable.

But he wasn’t. He’s messed a major decision up turning the game in favour of one side ? How can you say that. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, samowl said:

I'd like to ask him the difference between Lluongos tackle and that one on Hunt. But that apart. Did ok 👍 

I’m sure in hindsight he would say not a great deal. Thing is though he only got to see it once in real time. I got to see each challenge slowed down from four different angles. In fact I find this armchair refereeing remarkably easy.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, edwinowl said:

Well I did. Explain how he can let one leg breaking tackle go with yellow and another red ? Apart from a major decision like that did ok. 

Leg breaking tackle? He booked their player because although the contact looked bad, in the cold light of day, it wasn’t at a force which was going to seriously injure the player.

I see the point you’re making and, with VAR the player probably walks due to how bad a slow motion shot can make these things look but, I don’t think that should be a red card. A sore one absolutely, a red card? I wouldn’t want our players sending off for that.

Luongo flew in and, could have caused serious damage. It was reminiscent of the Liam Shaw tackle against Reading last season.

2 minutes ago, edwinowl said:

But he wasn’t. He’s messed a major decision up turning the game in favour of one side ? How can you say that. 

You’re comparing 2 completely different situations. It’s one of those where if it’s given, you’d describe it as harsh but, could potentially make an argument for it. That doesn’t make it a mistake, it makes it a different opinion. Lunogo’s was a red card all day long.

The reason I use impeccable as an adjective is because, it was a pleasure to watch a referee offer such calm, consistent decisions. He didn’t let the crowd or players fluster him. He made his own mind up, in his own time and, the game flowed brilliantly as a result of that. He got all the major decisions spot in for me. A lot of referees give the Hirst penalty through sheer pressure. He held his nerve.

19 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

Leg breaking tackle? He booked their player because although the contact looked bad, in the cold light of day, it wasn’t at a force which was going to seriously injure the player.

I see the point you’re making and, with VAR the player probably walks due to how bad a slow motion shot can make these things look but, I don’t think that should be a red card. A sore one absolutely, a red card? I wouldn’t want our players sending off for that.

Luongo flew in and, could have caused serious damage. It was reminiscent of the Liam Shaw tackle against Reading last season.

Aah right. So over the top is ok is what you’re saying.  You’ve just said VAR sends him off so you’ve contradicted yourself. 
Look at stills From both tackles and tell me which was higher. The first was a leg breaker for sure. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, edwinowl said:

Aah right. So over the top is ok is what you’re saying.  You’ve just said VAR sends him off so you’ve contradicted yourself. 
Look at stills From both tackles and tell me which was higher. The first was a leg breaker for sure. 

No I haven’t. 

I’ve highlighted the fact that VAR is over zealous and, often presents this sort of tackle as something which it’s not with the use of slow motion and, freeze frames.

The velocity of Luongo’s tackle was on a totally different level to the challenge made by Hackett. They’re incomparable. You mention the height of the challenge but, haven’t once tried to equate the force behind the tackle. 

You’re calling it a leg breaker on the basis of the point of contact, completely negating the fact that it takes quite a substantial amount of force to break a bone.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 0wl18 said:

No I haven’t. 

I’ve highlighted the fact that VAR is over zealous and, often presents this sort of tackle as something which it’s not with the use of slow motion and, freeze frames.

The velocity of Luongo’s tackle was on a totally different level to the challenge made by Hackett. They’re incomparable. You mention the height of the challenge but, haven’t once tried to equate the force behind the tackle. 

You’re calling it a leg breaker on the basis of the point of contact, completely negating the fact that it takes quite a substantial amount of force to break a bone.

You’re missing the point completely. 
Players today are given far too much protection but that’s how it is nowadays. 
High tackles including studs up irrespective of force or velocity are red cards nowadays. 
Both were red cards. 
Fact is he bottles the first because once again our players don’t make an issue of it. 
The second is also red but their players surround the ref jumping up

and down He is influenced by this in my opinion and sends him off rightly so. 
You can tell whoever wants to listen that the first was a yellow but as you’ve clearly highlighted VAR sends him off. 
I would think the assessors report will

and should reflect that. 

6 minutes ago, ruscol85 said:

Hacket’s is a yellow. Yes it’s over the ball but he stays on his feet, force isn’t excessive I wouldn’t say. 

Luongo leaves his feet, it higher, more force. It’s red. 

Led with his studs up. Modern game that's a red. 

Guest mrbluesky
12 hours ago, edwinowl said:

So not so good then really ? 

Explain ? 

Well I did. Explain how he can let one leg breaking tackle go with yellow and another red ? Apart from a major decision like that did ok. 

2 hours ago, edwinowl said:

High tackles including studs up irrespective of force or velocity are red cards nowadays. 
Both were red cards. 
Fact is he bottles the first because once again our players don’t make an issue of it. 

You can tell whoever wants to listen that the first was a yellow but as you’ve clearly highlighted VAR sends him off. 

and should reflect that. 

lol Christ, ref had a shocker!

11 hours ago, edwinowl said:

Both were red cards. 

and should reflect that. 

Try reading what I’ve put again.

VAR sends him off because freeze frames don’t provide the full picture.

VAR still results in injustices. It isn’t perfect and, there’s still talking points every week. 

You’re completely negating the fact that the force of Hackets challenge was minimal in comparison to that of Luongo’s. 

Yes he’s over the ball, yes it’s slightly mistimed, it wasn’t uncontrolled and, it wasn’t deemed to be endangering an opponent. Common sense prevailed and a yellow card was awarded.

51 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

Try reading what I’ve put again.

VAR sends him off because freeze frames don’t provide the full picture.

VAR still results in injustices. It isn’t perfect and, there’s still talking points every week. 

You’re completely negating the fact that the force of Hackets challenge was minimal in comparison to that of Luongo’s. 

Yes he’s over the ball, yes it’s slightly mistimed, it wasn’t uncontrolled and, it wasn’t deemed to be endangering an opponent. Common sense prevailed and a yellow card was awarded.

In Your opinion. In mine it was red all day long and if it was in the PL it would have been. Argument ends. 

• Haha 1

Guest mrbluesky
19 minutes ago, edwinowl said:

In Your opinion. In mine it was red all day long and if it was in the PL it would have been. Argument ends. 

Christ!part deux! lol