Pep Guardiola's calls for more home fans fallout

Kopparberg

35 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

I must be in the minority that gets how the City fans feel. 

I don’t think this is the first time Pep has had a bit of a dig. 

I think he wants Bayern levels of attendances etc… 

But even if he is, what’s the big deal? What makes is so offensive to the fanbase? It’s much ado about nothing. People bored midweek with nothing else to moan about Lol 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

But even if he is, what’s the big deal? What makes is so offensive to the fanbase? It’s much ado about nothing. People bored midweek with nothing else to moan about Lol 

Well I've got several memes about City this morning, taking the mick out of them and their tickets, must be irritating for their fans!

32 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I know but fans don't want their club to be the laughing stock. 

I get that, but City have been roasted about their empty stadium for ages now. Everyone knows they don’t fill it. This pointless  witch-hunt against Pep will draw him away from the club 

1 hour ago, Plonk said:

Apparently they were giving free tickets away in Manchester City centre yesterday lunch time. Can you imagine the Mickey taking if that happened in Sheffield?

Pigs under McCabe had been doing that for years. mainly for schools and uni students 

I can see both sides of this, Man City fans will find it embarrassing especially when they look across the city, but Pep will be frustrated with what he probably sees as a lack of support 

Guest Mcguigan
On 17/09/2021 at 12:51, markg said:

Is there fanbase big enough to attract more fans to the ground though?

I don’t think it is mate.

I saw a report on Man U’s attendances recently that pointed out the despite 74k crowds being announced, more often than not there’s a lot less than that, 63k was for a game against Palace iirc. 

We have a lot of very well supported clubs throughout all four divisions.

We got 21k in Lg1, Bradford City got nearly 16k in the bottom division yesterday, that’s more than a lot of well known Bundesliga 2 clubs.

Theres only so many people willing to pay up and actually attend matches and we have a lot of grounds to fill.

I think City fans feel like Pep should concentrate on managing the team, and not ‘question’ the level of support…  like it’s questioning the fans level of commitment or their choice in general. 

I think this is the second occasion Pep has said something - which is why fans have bitten back. 

For me, City have probably reached their peak fanbase size wise… he’s not at Bayern and Barca anymore, who spent years being successful.

So despite what the City owners spend, it still comes down to ‘do I want to go to this match’.

I think Pep thinks that’s a slap in the face. That the club is buying £100m players for the fans to put on a great show for them, it isn’t. 

It also feels like the CL is secondary to City fans because it’s more the aspirations of the City board - but the league means more to the fans. 

6 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Kind of related: I don’t think it helps when managers say how tired their players are / will be in a forthcoming game. Kind of becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

it's ridiculous too-this is literally why they have a massive squad to pick from. I think they made a big mistake in going for Grealish over Kane, and supposedly if they didn't go for Grealish they could have been in for Messi. They really need a top quality central striker. 

• Like 1